Lamborghini Talk banner

Action camera Sony

6K views 128 replies 8 participants last post by  Sakura 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

Just wanted to share my new camera and what I did to it.

Picked up a new Sony FDR-X3000 and an external battery a few days ago.

This is the original product in its transparent acrylic.

I decided to plastidip the case in black for a stealth look.

Few coats in between.

I got it cured in about 4 hours. The surface is quite smooth.

Mounting is done!

I am using a 20000 mh external battery (mounted with double tapes) and 512gb micro SD card which gives me continuous 18 hours (approx) of recording in 4K or maybe a week or longer in lower resolution. To prevent scratching the rollbar, I taped only the section that got mounted first with masking tape and white vinyl tape.

@Lambo2018 this may interest you since you asked about gopro in your original thread.

This camera has excellent vibration damper and has nice lens. The interface, however, is terrible as it's complicated (hard to use). I'm still trying to understand what many of those icons in the interface are for.

For your viewing pleasure.

See less See more
#9 ·
Yes! I have noticed cop cars everywhere, parked and cruising. I was afraid to act up at all last weekend. It would have been way too easy to spot me with so few cars on the road.

#12 ·
For the most part the cops here are pretty good guys, but according to the news there are certainly some exceptions. I have been very lucky, but I always do whatever I can to not provoke them. I find that the less I say the better.

#13 ·
What gets me are those areas that suddenly drop in the posted speed limit without much warning...........they are ideal speed traps. They recently made a change like that close to our home and as you might imagine the police tend to stake out areas like that. In fact, my wife and I almost got snagged and we have been traveling that particular road for many years. Fortunately I was on my best behavior. 😇

#14 ·
Last year, an intersection near my house, a smaller street perpendicular with a much larger street was suddenly made right away and the cops were catching people ignoring the stop sign. I think someone that got a ticket lawyered up & eventually the sign was reverted back to the original (larger street is right away). I think some cops just have no common sense, no shame, or just pure evil🤷‍♂️

#17 ·
My today's lesson is to never forget Newton's third law and confucious theory of yin & yang. It's a cat & mouse game and that's the way the world works.

Back on topic, check out the short video from the new camera. The video was originally in 4K (very sharp), but I just lowered the res down for youtube for quicker upload. The first few seconds were in a black pitch garage (no lights) for you to see how quick the camera adjust its focus and aperture. The "serenade espagnole" song was added when I composed the video for youtube. The original video only had sound from the garage and the engine/exhaust.

I noticed that the original sound is obscured because of the underwater casing, so I'm going to invest in an external microphone. There is a jack behind the camera for external microphone.

As seen in the video, the car doesn't have a garage opener option so I've been missing all the fun. I use a wireless remote that comes with the garage door. It's credit card size so I can tuck it inside the glovebox for storage.

#23 ·
I didn't have any chance to drive at all, but I managed to record these videos using the new camera. Hope I am not embarassing myself. I used a good $2k sennheiser mic so the sound quality is close to the original. The internal battery is very short lived as it only lasted 20 mins without the external battery.

#26 ·
Another update:

I decided to switch the masking tape + vinyl tape to a transparent thick acrylic tape. Just to make it look cleaner and more professional. The new tape is very thick and can be used on car door / bumpers to prevent dings and scratches. The material feels similar to the triangle tapes normally placed on the side of newer Porsches (>= 991.1) The glue is stronger than the common glue for masking tape, but it can still be easily removed if wanted.

The transparent tape.

Before (left) and after (right). The rollbar now looks much cleaner.

After remounting. I'm going to mount the camera upside-down to hide it from the back window. The camera can record properly while in upside-down position if I turn on the tilting capability. I noticed that the tape has some air bubbles in it, but I'm sure I can fix it later by using hair dryer. Or I can just drive out and let our sun do its work.

#27 ·
Awesome video, I have tried to learn to play my violin and just can’t get it together. I bought a cheapy online and it’s falling apart. Nonetheless, I love the violin and you are so very good. If I had a fraction of your talent I’d be happy. Thanks for sharing, I’m going to listen to them again.

Reactions: Sakura
#29 ·
Thank you, that is very kind of you. I must confess that I'm not talented just have time to practice everyday and a lot! I am just glad I live far from my neighbor so I can practice whenever I want even at midnight.

Cheapy violin would make things a lot harder in the beginning. I bought a beginner $7k violin then upgraded as I get better.

#35 ·
I like the camera position. I also need an external mic, ant recommendation?
I'm getting comica cvm-vs10 so I don't have to mess with the cable:

#41 ·
Next update:

What to do with the fat stereo plug?

The diameter of the plug was 2mm over the standard 7 mm.

Masking.

After dremel magic.

It plugs in nicely now. The bare metal is hardly visible at the back. If it bothers me I'll just cover it up with some black foam.

Can't wait to try the new mic tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.