Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you so much for looking at my message.

In the next few months I will finally realize my dream and will be purchasing a 2007-2009 Gallardo!

My situation is a bit unique as I know nothing about cars. I don't even know how to put oil in my wife's Mercedes! That being said, a few years ago I bought a service shop and I now have several A.S.E. certified mechanics on my payroll. These are fantastic people and great mechanics that I really trust - these guys pull engines and transmissions out of cars, fix them and replace them, every day. My partner at the shop, an ex-Army mechanic, has worked on helicopters, Hummers and has every A.S.E certification there is. This brings me to my questions....

- Would you trust an A.S.E certified mechanic to work on your Gallardo or would you only bring it to the dealership?

- Are there a lot of special tools, computer programs, etc that are required for its maintenance?

- Can a standard lift pick one of these up (I know that they are really low to the ground)?

- Do you find it easy to get parts?

- Are parts only available from the dealership or are after market parts a good option?

- I am assuming that getting a manual transmission (vs eGear) will be easier for a normal shop to work on. Is this correct?

I would like to sincerely thank anyone who can take the time out of their schedule to answer any of these questions for me. I can't wait to be a part of your "club". :)

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the market for one as well and will be doing 90-100% of the work as I have on all my cars over the years (650HP R35 GTR, 1100HP Hellcat, 400HP Evo etc.)

If you own a quality shop and the employees are trusted with similar high end cars would see no problem having them work on it. Computer wise probably would need a trip to the Dealership or a specialty shop that owns a Lamborghini diagnostic tool/tuner. Make sure to wrap plastic over the panels so nothing gets scratched. Not like working on a beater daily driver ;) Want everything to be left shiny side up when done with no corners cut.

Manual will be much cheaper in the long run. Personally only want an E-Gear with a twin turbo setup. Auto's are faster than manuals now, they've come a long way.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

No problems with a standard lift.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi, here some comments on a f-ew of your questions.

I think your shop staff could handle most repairs.
Especially if you have access to a factory service manual.

Maybe the biggest issue is the Computer system communicator.
(Co-members can offer better insights to this than me)
Hand tools could be made or bought, I don't think that is an issue.
Lifting should be a non issue for your team.

Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The cars are held together with nuts and bolts. LP's I think are a little more straight forward to work on as they don't have the more unusual things like misfire tubes that pre-LP's have.

I think it really comes down more to personality. You want someone who is careful and attentive, but really you'd want that on any car, it's just that someone getting careless on this car could be more expensive to resolve. Even physical fitness is a consideration. I recently walnut blasted my intake valves and due to the engine placement I think that job would be very hard on my body if I wasn't fit, which may also lead to mistakes from getting distracted.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
563 Posts
Agreed with all above. Relationship w/ your Shop/technicians goes a long way. They are likely to tell you if there is something they can't handle and only then are you at the mercy of a Dealership. IMO, as far as necessary trips to the Dealership is concerned, you picked the right Brand Exotic. There are likely more 'necessary' Dealer visits to be had with some of the others..... stay away from Mclaren or you will practically live there

Reactions: mbaroody

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, here some comments on a f-ew of your questions.

I think your shop staff could handle most repairs.
Especially if you have access to a factory service manual.

Maybe the biggest issue is the Computer system communicator.
(Co-members can offer better insights to this than me)
Hand tools could be made or bought, I don't think that is an issue.
Lifting should be a non issue for your team.

Have fun and good luck.
Any idea where we could get the factory service manual? Is that something I can purchase separately?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the market for one as well and will be doing 90-100% of the work as I have on all my cars over the years (650HP R35 GTR, 1100HP Hellcat, 400HP Evo etc.)

If you own a quality shop and the employees are trusted with similar high end cars would see no problem having them work on it. Computer wise probably would need a trip to the Dealership or a specialty shop that owns a Lamborghini diagnostic tool/tuner. Make sure to wrap plastic over the panels so nothing gets scratched. Not like working on a beater daily driver ;) Want everything to be left shiny side up when done with no corners cut.

Manual will be much cheaper in the long run. Personally only want an E-Gear with a twin turbo setup. Auto's are faster than manuals now, they've come a long way.
View attachment 300280

No problems with a standard lift.
Brilliant idea on the plastic wrap! I would've never thought of that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any idea where we could get the factory service manual? Is that something I can purchase separately?
emanualonline should have it for about $25. I would recommend getting the R8 manual as well if you get an LP because sometimes it's easier to find something like torque specs in that manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.