Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned various B, F and P cars and have made the decision to acquire the L car. I am partial to the Diablo and would like to educate myself on their history,performance and reliability as it concerns model year changes and upgrades from 1991 forward. I have been subjected, like many, to the apocraphal tales of woe and distress and would like to separate the wheat from the chaff as it were.

My question is whether there is an on-line resource that might provide me with a general overview in conjunction with any enlightenment posters might provide.

All help will be appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My question is whether there is an on-line resource that might provide me with a general overview in conjunction with any enlightenment posters might provide
HUUUUUUUUUihhhhhhh????

A resource larger than this???? What exactly are you looking for??? Something wih more than 10 Million Posts??????????????

:cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just went throgh the same thing - PCars, FCars and a Lambo last week. Like you, partial to Diablo. Gotta tell ya, one hell of a car! This ones a keeper.

As JRV stated, this is it. Your best shot is to ask a specific question.

On purchased a 92. I was told that 92-93 were the faster cars. They have OBD1. 94 (I think) went OBD2 and power steering. The 91 cars had issues with chain tensioners, but there is an update kit and if you're looking at 91 it should have been done.

The instrument pod is adjustable (up & down)..even in down position some people report visibility is limited. I noticed this because I'm relatively short. I remedied the problem by elevating the seat rail by 1" - which is now perfect.

Hopefully your car will have a new clutch. Much HP and torque will eat up a clutch. Seems to be inexperienced drivers will eat them more quickly. My car has a new clutch and, similar to an FCar, they like to be in or out. I can let this car roll from a dead stop with clutch only, then accelerate (vs clutch and gas). I expect to get many miles from this clutch.

I received an email from the former CFO of Lamborghini which I thought was interesting and may give light to why the 92-93 cars are so fast. He said 94 was a banner year for Lambo with over 120 Diablos imported and sold. Compared to 92 & 93 combined only 40 cars imported into the US. It was discovered the Lambo omitted much safety gear on those cars for impressive performance stats - including omission of side impact rails in the doors - the price you pay if you go for a 92-93.

Finally, let me say that one of the first things I did was get a parts and workshop book. Have to say these car is simple. If you can turn a wrench you can do anything short of removing the engine. All the fluids and filters can be done easily. You can do your own 15K and 30K service yourself and if you can't turn a wrench, the only thing to "farm out" to a mechanic is the valve adjustment. This is in stark contrast to FCars which seem to be engineered to have you go to the dealer for service (ie engine out belt change, cracked headers consider a servicable item, etc).

I'm very impressed with the engineering and build quality of this car. And the "wow" factor is off the hook.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks FL 355. This car will sit at my second home so use will be intermitent but when it is driven it will be driven for distance so I can get my Ya Ya's out (I live in the Virgin Islands most of the year). As far as cockpit comfort is there any real difference between years other than the dash movement? I currently have a 97 850csi (they made three with aftermarket sanction) and that 12 has been trouble free while not in the same neighborhood as the Lambo 12 as far as performance. As long as I maintain regular service is there any reason I should fear distance driving?

I was looking at a 6.0 but now will consider your advice on a 92-93 Diablo.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally I did a ton of research on Diablos before I purchased mine. While the earlier Diablos were very nice indeed, I truly don't think you can compare the 92-93 to the 2001 6.0 Diablo. I don't want to start a fire fight here but Lamborghini admitted learned a ton about these cars during the almost 10 year lifespan of the Diablo. They poured everything they learned into the 2001 6.0. It has better computer diagnostics, roomier interior, great track width, bulletproof engine, AWD with VT, smooth power range, and a ton of comfort and amenities not offered in earlier models. I truly think this was the pinnacle of Lamborghini and, in my mind, the last 'true' Italian designed Lamborghini before Audi got there hands around Lamborghini after purchasing them.

The fit, finish, and quality of my 2001 6.0 seems to be significantly better than those I have seen on early Diablos. That's not to say that the earlier ones were poor by any means, it is just my honest opinon. I don't think you can go wrong with any year Diablo, but I can tell you that the look, drive, and feel of the 2001 6.0 is hard to beat. I have seen comparison tests where it beats the Murcielago in acceleration, handling, etc..

Coming from a background where I consulted for performance tuners on the side, I can tell you that I have access to people and information that is very difficult to find otherwise. If money is no object, then it would be hard to beat the 2001 6.0. If you put yourself on a budget, then perhaps an earlier Diablo is in your future. Either way you will be one happy person driving down the road.....

Hope this helps.

Here are some of the reasons why I chose to purchase a 6.0:

· Since Audi was in takeover process, the acutal production numbers are unknown (mystique). I have heard that may be only 60 made it to the US (rarity). As a result, prices seem to have stabilized. At Pebble Beach this year, Valentino (Lamborghini's famous test driver) commented that if he had to have one Lamborghini (from all ever made) he would get a 6.0.

· Exterior body is carbon fiber (weight reduction=better handling and acceleration)

· Interior is carbon fiber (weight reduction=better handling and acceleration, plus a very unique and cool look)

· 3" wider than previous Diablos (better traction and handling

· All wheel drive w/ VT (for outstanding traction and handling)

· 550hp

· During testing, Car and Driver got it to break magazine’s record for 0-60mph (3.4sec) and 0-100 (8 sec)

· Engine internals use all parts from Lamborghini racing (titanium rods,lightweight crank) Bulletproof,lightweight engine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone this has been a big help. My last inquiry is whether there is a model/color by year resource for Diablos. I know 2001 6.0 were limited to two colors but lack clarity on previous years.

My current conclusion is that other than timing chain tensioners on 91 models there were no model year specific bugs that must be looked for. If this is incorrect please disabuse me.

I hope to be listed as an owner on this site in Feb.

Thanks to all

Winston

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Winben said:
I know 2001 6.0 were limited to two colors but lack clarity on previous years.
Thats correct for the 6.0 SE model only.

Winben said:
My current conclusion is that other than timing chain tensioners on 91 models there were no model year specific bugs that must be looked for. If this is incorrect please disabuse me.
While the tensioner issue was a biggie, you will find that each MY has its own set of "quirks". I'd be starting with narrowing down your model etc and then researching what to look for specific to it. I also think its safe to say that by the end of each variation (like the end of 99 for the 5.7 litre cars) more and more "quirks" were dealt with.

-mick

·
Registered
584 Posts
Agree with LTHL...6.0 is more refined....and as technology gets better, so do the cars. It's my experience the earlier cars are more "Visceral". Not for the "gurly man" as Arnold would say..

I would say go as far as your budget will allow... Whichever Diablo you chose, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
lthl_vpr said:
· Exterior body is carbon fiber (weight reduction=better handling and acceleration)
I believe only the SE models were carbon fiber body. The earlier ones were aluminum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts