Lamborghini Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here it's a controlled substance and you need a contractor license to buy it.

I checked amazon and they are shipped from the US at around +-$190 a can and I think I'd need 3 for my truck @ $570!! The ones I saw on ebay are not as crazy priced, around $50 a can but they're too heavily mixed with oil or sealer. Plus would they get confiscated at the border if they are inspected and will there be repercussions? In my truck I'll try my luck with the 12a as I already have 2 cans sitting on the shelf. I was afraid to use them, now I don't care.

However missing 3 days of work for a garage to put in the real stuff, to check my system first, repair on another visit and fill is too costly because I need the truck everyday.
Wow what is crazy! Its easier to just not have air conditioning

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you all so much for the help!!! The A/C is back up and running and blowing super cold!!!! After watching the video @The Bull Rider posted, I ordered the gauges, and a vacuum pump on amazon for a combined cost of $100. I also went to O Reily's and got a 510g can of EZ Chill R134a for $50 but also get $10 back if I return the can. I bought the EZ Chill only because the can was 510g of freon. Other cans were 638g and 380g. I figured with the other cans, it would be a lot harder to estimate how much went in. With the 510g, worst case if I over filled it, it would only be by 10g since the manual says the system takes 500g.

This morning I got the SL on the QuickJacks and hooked up the gauges. I first tested the low pressure line and as I suspected, zero freon. I even opened the line to see if any freon would escape but nothing came out of the hose when I opened the value. This made me happier because it would be easier to empty almost the whole can in the system.
View attachment 312472

I let the vacuum pump run for 30 min and I got a good vacuum reading.
View attachment 312473

I closed the valves, shut off the pump, and waited 30 min to make sure the vacuum held and I had no leaks. I must have starred at the gauges for 30 min because I was so worried of a leak. Thank god, 30 min elapsed and no leaks. Still held the same reading!

Next I hooked up the R134a can, turned on the car and AC, then opened the valve and started inserting the R134a. I I dumped almost all of it into the system. Again, I wasnt worried about being off by too much since the can was only 510g. One I was done with the R134a, I checked inside and it was blowing really cold and the Econ light finally turned off!
View attachment 312474

I took it for a drive and it was perfect the whole time. Its about 90 degrees today in SoCal so I'm happy! This was actually insanely easy!!! I have never worked on an A/C system before so I was a little hesitant.

Thank you @Dereiter and @Reckless570 for the messages and the help!!!! Thanks @The Bull Rider for the awesome and simple video, and thank you @EvanK for the great info!!! Oh and thank you @Luzifer for the moral support.... LOL..

At the end of the day it only cost me $120 for the pressure sensor, $100 for the pump and gauges, and $50 for the freon. Lambo Newport Beach would have been a high bill.

Thank you all again! I love this forum!!!!
Right on! This is awesome Cliff! I didnt know your SL was without the "optional" radio. Do your carbon door cards still have holes for speakers or no?

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Right on! This is awesome Cliff! I didnt know your SL was without the "optional" radio. Do your carbon door cards still have holes for speakers or no?
Yeah there are not a lot of SL's out there with the factory radio delete. Of the 310 SL's in the registry, only 4 have the factory radio delete which includes mine.

No my carbon door panels do not have speaker cutouts. See photo. For music I just bring a blue tooth speaker and put it on the shelf behind the passenger seat.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@Cliff.1620 (y)

What a relief to know it was a slow leak because I'm sure getting parts must be an extreme ordeal with a hefty price tag. What great saving you made, that's awesome! I'm amazed at how cheap you guys have things. I have the same pump and set of gauges that cost somewhere in the $700 range.
Not sure about Canada's import laws but if there is something I can buy in CA and ship to you that will save you money, I'd be happy to do it anytime.....

Reactions: Luzifer

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not sure about Canada's import laws but if there is something I can buy in CA and ship to you that will save you money, I'd be happy to do it anytime.....
I'll keep that in mind! :)

Shipping is pretty easy just like sending a regular package with an extra form, like the value of it and what's inside the box. I shipped an aftermarket Corvette steering wheel to an American 2 weeks ago.

A few months ago Rcasa20 from down south sent me some die casts to add to my collection.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Last month my wife and I decided to take the SL to Palm Springs to meet some friends for dinner. I was on the freeway for about 45 min and all was great. I stopped to get gas and as I got back on the freeway, I noticed the A/C was getting warmer and warmer. Finally it was blowing outside air. A/C hasn’t worked since.

After doing some research on the forums and talking to some members, I started with the fuses and relays. All are fine. Then I ordered a new pressure switch because it blows hot out of both sides. That led me to believe it was not a control valve issue. After removing the old sensor, it was literally dripping in green fluid which I’m assuming is Freon. I cleaned the male connector and I installed the new sensor. The A/C kind of worked blowing decently cold air for about 5 min. Then the Econ light turned on and its blowing I think ambient air. The Econ light will not turn off and the the heater still works too. I also ran an OBD scanner ans I have zero codes.

I took the old sensor and put an air gun to the bottom of it. Air shot completely through the sensor and came out of the female connector side. That also shot more green fluid everywhere. I dont think they are supposed to do this. So I think my sensor failed and leaked all of my Freon out. Which is why the Econ light won’t turn off. Does anyone see anything different or have a different opinion?

I don’t know how to DIY recharge the system nor do I have the equipment for it. Now I’m trying to find someone in SoCal that can recharge it besides Lambo Newport Beach.

Please let me know if you guys think I’m on the right track.. Thanks all

View attachment 312262
Congrats on the fix ❄

·
Registered
59 Posts
Awesome write up, Cliff! Just a note to those who come across this thread later - NEVER add any stop leak to your system! It wreaks havoc on everything. Instead, find the leak and then repair it - you can add a little R134A PAG oil with UV dye, charge the system, and then run it. If it leaks down again, you can use a UV flashlight to find the UV dye to easily locate your leak.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Awesome write up, Cliff! Just a note to those who come across this thread later - NEVER add any stop leak to your system! It wreaks havoc on everything. Instead, find the leak and then repair it - you can add a little R134A PAG oil with UV dye, charge the system, and then run it. If it leaks down again, you can use a UV flashlight to find the UV dye to easily locate your leak.
I second that notion. Dont but stop leak for any system of any car! LOL
Its honestly amazing they sell stuff like that

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice to see you still checking in over here…. Hope you come back to Lambo soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all so much for the help!!! The A/C is back up and running and blowing super cold!!!! After watching the video @The Bull Rider posted, I ordered the gauges, and a vacuum pump on amazon for a combined cost of $100. I also went to O Reily's and got a 510g can of EZ Chill R134a for $50 but also get $10 back if I return the can. I bought the EZ Chill only because the can was 510g of freon. Other cans were 638g and 380g. I figured with the other cans, it would be a lot harder to estimate how much went in. With the 510g, worst case if I over filled it, it would only be by 10g since the manual says the system takes 500g.

This morning I got the SL on the QuickJacks and hooked up the gauges. I first tested the low pressure line and as I suspected, zero freon. I even opened the line to see if any freon would escape but nothing came out of the hose when I opened the value. This made me happier because it would be easier to empty almost the whole can in the system.
View attachment 312472

I let the vacuum pump run for 30 min and I got a good vacuum reading.
View attachment 312473

I closed the valves, shut off the pump, and waited 30 min to make sure the vacuum held and I had no leaks. I must have starred at the gauges for 30 min because I was so worried of a leak. Thank god, 30 min elapsed and no leaks. Still held the same reading!

Next I hooked up the R134a can, turned on the car and AC, then opened the valve and started inserting the R134a. I I dumped almost all of it into the system. Again, I wasnt worried about being off by too much since the can was only 510g. One I was done with the R134a, I checked inside and it was blowing really cold and the Econ light finally turned off!
View attachment 312474

I took it for a drive and it was perfect the whole time. Its about 90 degrees today in SoCal so I'm happy! This was actually insanely easy!!! I have never worked on an A/C system before so I was a little hesitant.

Thank you @Dereiter and @Reckless570 for the messages and the help!!!! Thanks @The Bull Rider for the awesome and simple video, and thank you @EvanK for the great info!!! Oh and thank you @Luzifer for the moral support.... LOL..

At the end of the day it only cost me $120 for the pressure sensor, $100 for the pump and gauges, and $50 for the freon. Lambo Newport Beach would have been a high bill.

Thank you all again! I love this forum!!!!
Last month my wife and I decided to take the SL to Palm Springs to meet some friends for dinner. I was on the freeway for about 45 min and all was great. I stopped to get gas and as I got back on the freeway, I noticed the A/C was getting warmer and warmer. Finally it was blowing outside air. A/C hasn’t worked since.

After doing some research on the forums and talking to some members, I started with the fuses and relays. All are fine. Then I ordered a new pressure switch because it blows hot out of both sides. That led me to believe it was not a control valve issue. After removing the old sensor, it was literally dripping in green fluid which I’m assuming is Freon. I cleaned the male connector and I installed the new sensor. The A/C kind of worked blowing decently cold air for about 5 min. Then the Econ light turned on and its blowing I think ambient air. The Econ light will not turn off and the the heater still works too. I also ran an OBD scanner ans I have zero codes.

I took the old sensor and put an air gun to the bottom of it. Air shot completely through the sensor and came out of the female connector side. That also shot more green fluid everywhere. I dont think they are supposed to do this. So I think my sensor failed and leaked all of my Freon out. Which is why the Econ light won’t turn off. Does anyone see anything different or have a different opinion?

I don’t know how to DIY recharge the system nor do I have the equipment for it. Now I’m trying to find someone in SoCal that can recharge it besides Lambo Newport Beach.

Please let me know if you guys think I’m on the right track.. Thanks all

View attachment 312262

hi, i have the same problem, how can I measure the pressure sensor to know if that’s what failing? The fan in the front does not run either and I have not been able to check the maxi fuses for ac and fan.. has anyone been able to access that fuse box
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
161 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts