Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 09 lp560 back in march and my girlfriend noticed that the passenger airbag is off. I checked for my key everywhere to turn it on, she seems to be scared to death of sitting in the car since she was almost hit twice now on the passenger side. I called the dealer as soon as I noticed, which was back in march, and told him I need that key. It seems they've been giving me the run around on whats going on with it. First they said they were looking for it, then they had to order it, and apparently now its on back order. I called my local lambo parts and he said I have to change the key barrel, which will cost about $700 just for something that should have come with the car to begin with. Does anyone know how to get the airbag turned on or have any ideas on how to help me fix this? 700 isnt much but its the fact that you expect a Lamborghini to come with a damn passenger airbag. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
There is only one way to handle this, and that's with the proper key. It's quite possible that there is a failure with the airbag system and they turned it off and "lost" the key to avoid dealing with it. I suspect you're getting the "run around" for more than one reason.

You should really push the dealer that sold the car to make this right, the last thing you want is to spend money yourself to get the key then find there's a failed part and have to spend another couple grand to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what i'm trying to do but they keep giving me excuses like saying the key is on back order. I've never experienced a problem like this with any of my other cars, just this one is a pain in the ass. Is there a way to stick the bill to them?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Have a lawyer draft a letter stating they sold you a car that is without a critcal safety component and that you have diligently attempted to fix the problem with minimal amount of assistance. This notice is to inform them that they will become a party to any and all injuries that may result from their negligence in assisting with this critical safety component repair.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I'm assuming you know the airbag is operated by a key slot in the glovebox.

My car had the passenger side airbag off and it just needed to be turned on, no issues, so don't worry that the airbag is defective yet.

I wonder if the airbag keys might not all be the same? I don't see a reason to code these differently for each car. Perhaps you could try the key from another car? Just a thought.

If not I would definitely go after the dealer about selling you a car with inoperative airbags, that should change their tune pretty quickly. If I was selling people high-end cars I wouldn't find it acceptable to let them drive off without all the safety features working properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already asked my local dealer here in LA, I bought the car from a different dealer in Illinois, and asked if he would let me use one of the other keys. He said it would not work because each key is specific. I just called the dealer again threatening with a lawsuit for any injuries. Apparently he's going to get it to me today, lets see how that works.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
There you go. Make them a party to any potential injury and you will get action. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
JA786--the passenger side airbag is turned on/off by the keyslot in the glovebox just as Gvan states. The airbag key in the 2010 LP560 is the master key and not a different key as disscussed in the Owner's Handbook. You could try it and see if it is the same for your 2009.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same as the 2007's. They all function with the "starter key"...... There is indeed no other key that will work....... Don't forget when there is no pressure (weight) on the seat then the airbag will indicate it is off..... Even if switched on. As soon as your significant other joins or you have something heavy on the seat your airbag if activated will be switched on. Similar to the safety belt sign in standard cars.......

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Same as the 2007's. They all function with the "starter key"...... There is indeed no other key that will work....... Don't forget when there is no pressure (weight) on the seat then the airbag will indicate it is off..... Even if switched on. As soon as your significant other joins or you have something heavy on the seat your airbag if activated will be switched on. Similar to the safety belt sign in standard cars.......
Reminds me about the time I had to buckle up my groceries as I'd put them on the passenger seat and my beemer wouldn't shut up about the seatbelt ;)

Odd how only 2007 and 2010 used the ignition keys...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The airbag is completely switched off. We first noticed it when she was actually sitting on the seat and the first thing I did was check the manual and search for that damn key. It doesn't make much sense that they don't just use the ignition key but hey I didn't build this model. I was also told that each 09 has a specific airbag key by the dealer in my area. If I was given incorrect information please let me know so my girlfriend isn't terrified to drive with me, I'm getting tired of letting it sit there on the weekends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts