Lamborghini Talk banner

996 and lambos: a question

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  emilio 
#1 · (Edited)
just driven a porshe 996 carrera 2 cabrio, tiptronic with sport ex.
the car drives great, easy and funny but...
when i pushed , it seem really not so fast (for a +300hp sport car...) , not very aggressive,
it gives me more a sensation of smooth power than a raging power
i have to say i don't have any other experience with sport car( only 2 or 3 ride with my fother's jalpa, nothing more....)

what i ask to you is,
if you had driving experinces with this car(996) and with modern lambos(diablo, murcie of gallardo)
could you tell me if there is a huge difference between the way they accelerate?
more simply: are lambos much faster than the porshe i have driven ?
:confused:

#3 ·
Don't compare a tiptronic with another car, the tiptronic is a simple automatic gearbox and kills the performance.

#5 ·
Here is what I posted in the old L-talk last year.

From my own ownership experience, this is how I would rank the last 5 sports cars I've owned. Please, this is my own personal opinion. No instrumentations used in any of my rankings. Please add your own car rankings. Ownership requirement applies. I don't want to hear opinions based on car mags. Please, don't post published reports, like Nurburgring times, 0-60 times, etc. I want to hear real world driving and ownership experiences.

Seat of my pants acceleration to 160.

1. Diablo SV
2. Viper GTS
3. Porsche 996TT
4. Z06
5. NSX - very distant 5th.

Stopping confidence - what I mean by this is how confident I feel stopping from a high speed over 120mph+ run to 0.

1. 996TT
2. Diablo SV
3. Z06
4. NSX
5. Viper GTS - since my car was non-ABS car, you have to really concentrate on stopping otherwise, locking the brakes are very easy with this car.

Feel at 160

1. Diablo SV - built for high speed
2. 996TT
3. NSX - it might take a while to get there but very stable
4. Z06 - feels a little light
5. Viper GTS - not confidence inspiring

Handling - just from memory and fast canyon driving only. I could not rate it by track experience as some of these cars never seen the track. Again, I'm looking for confidence inspiring handling.

1. 996TT
1. Z06
1. NSX
2. Diablo SV - I only ranked this 2nd, because I don't have the balls to push this car to the limit. I'm too afraid to scratch the damn car.
3. Viper GTS - tricky to handle. 100% concentation required.

Ease of use - daily driver duty

1. 996TT
2. Z06
3. NSX
4. Viper GTS
5. Diablo SV - easy to drive, but massive blind spot, and having to worry where to park makes this my number 5 choice.

Comfort and Ergonomics

1. NSX
2. 996TT
3. Z06
4. Diablo SV
5. Viper GTS

Reliability - number of needed attention/time owned

1. Z06 - no repairs needed in one year time I've owned it.
2. NSX - only 2 minor repairs in 6 years
3. Diablo SV - 1 minor, 1 major in 4 years. The major repair was due to faulty stereo amp installation.
4. Porsche - an oil burner
5. Viper GTS - absolutely a sh!t of a car. 11 trips to the dealer due to various problem in 1 year.

Quality of materials used.

1. Diablo SV - for the price, it better be.
2. 996TT
3. NSX
4. Z06
4. Viper GTS - American muscles are way behind on this one. Both cars are too plasticky.

Shock factor

1. Diablo SV - way ahead in this category
2. Viper GTS
3. NSX
3. Z06
4. 996TT - nothing special about its look, but the "Porsche" name still carries a lot of weight.

Bang for the Buck

1. Z06 - by far.
2. Viper GTS
3. 996TT
4. NSX
5. Diablo SV

My ideal track car - fast, reliable, confidence inspiring and cheap to repair.

1. Z06
2. NSX
3. 996TT
4. Viper GTS
5. Diablo SV - just because it too damn expensive to throw around the track, and I don't have unlimited funds.

The above rankings had no bearing on my final category.

My absolute favorite car.

1. Diablo SV - probably because I've alway admired Lamborghinis ever since I was a school boy.
2. Z06
2. NSX
3. 996TT
4. Viper GTS - did I say I hated this car?

Other than the Viper, I would buy any of these cars again in a heartbeat. They all have their positives and negatives. All wonderful car in its own right.

PS. No sedans were included in ranking as they do not belong in this group.

#6 ·
I have owned 3 porsches to include our current CTT, a 1986 turbo and a 2000 cab. The lambo has much more seat of the pants than all of the porsches I have driven. The turbo an GT2 come close but are not as fear inducing due to there much better manners.
///MK

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Before I bought my 1995 Diablo, I had a string of Porsches -
1979 911 SC
1986 928 with minor mods
1989 911 Ruf Turbo 3.3 (my favorite)
1994 911 Carrera (Tiptronic) with minor mods

Then I bought a Ferrari 348 ( no regrets but would not buy another Ferrari). It felt slower than the 911 Turbo and probably handled worse around corners. The brakes too were a weak point. Only positive point was the sound track.

Then I bought a Diablo. Loved every moment of it.
As a bit of a kid (early 20's) when I owned the 911's I used to rev it to get attention. Same with the Ferrari.
As I got my Diablo (early 30's) things changed. Its either me or my car or both. I no longer rev to get attention.
Its not necessary. I get enough looks just crawling around near idle engine speed. In fact I always keep my windows closed now a days and try to stay incognito. Unlike my younger days when I have my windows wound down and cd blasting.
In terms of looks nothing comes close to any Lambo ever made.

In terms of performace, I have driven my friends 996. I found it too refined for my taste. Sure it probably has way better brakes than my Diablo. The 996 corners with confidence and stops earlier than I anticipate.
But in terms of out right speed (seat of my pants feel) it does'nt even come close to the Diablo or the Gallardo which I have also driven. Lets not even mention the Murcielago which I have dragged race with my Diablo and lost. I could not keep up with it in a straight line.
I have dragged raced other 996 non-turbo's (adhoc). Killed all so far to date. Not dragged a turbo version or a GT3 so I won't comment.

All in all given that the price of a new 997 or second hand 996 will be pretty near the cost of a 98/00 Diablo. I would not even think about buying anything other than a car with the Raging Bull emblem.

All car magazine says that people despise Porsches because they've never driven one. Well I used to be a Porsche lover. But have changed. Porsche used be more exclusive. And the owners of them were like minded people - car enthusiasts.
Now the breed have changed. Most people who own a Porsche nowadays are no longer car lovers. They are just posers or people who have jumped over from owning a Mercedes or BMW. The real 911 lover would only buy a GT3 or turbo.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
eric_lee said:
All in all given that the price of a new 997 or second hand 996 will be pretty near the cost of a 98/00 Diablo. I would not even think about buying anything other than a car with the Raging Bull emblem.
totally agree with you
i'd rather have a diablo or a countach than a 996 for similar price
it is better look, more powerful, and it is also a more rare car so it is a better investment for the future :rolleyes:
i'm glad to know that a diablo is much more agressive than a 996 :D

#10 ·
some great posts there lads, I agree totally. My business partner has always been pro Ferrari, had a 348 (red TS) then another 348 (black spider) now has a 355 spider. The Countach would have eaten them all but the Diablo is no competition, way way ahead in looks, speed, shockability, handling and "Supercar-ness" (if thats a word). The bull wins hands down everytime, and as for the Viper, great looking car and fast in the straight, but youre screwed if there is a corner somewhere...... yeeeeks!

#11 ·
I sold a 996 turbo, came up with a little more cash, and got a Gallardo since I don't have the budget or storage to keep adding cars. My only regret is that the Porsche was so driveable for every-day use, and maybe a little more neck wrenching acceleration than the Gallardo (had a chip for the turbo to about 525hp) But an afternoon in the Gallardo gives me no regrets. Just 'listening' to the engine is almost enough, and I have tracked both cars with similar lap times - but the Lambo just feels more like a race car.

emilio said:
just driven a porshe 996 carrera 2 cabrio, tiptronic with sport ex.
the car drives great, easy and funny but...
when i pushed , it seem really not so fast (for a +300hp sport car...) , not very aggressive,
it gives me more a sensation of smooth power than a raging power
i have to say i don't have any other experience with sport car( only 2 or 3 ride with my fother's jalpa, nothing more....)

what i ask to you is,
if you had driving experinces with this car(996) and with modern lambos(diablo, murcie of gallardo)
could you tell me if there is a huge difference between the way they accelerate?
more simply: are lambos much faster than the porshe i have driven ?
:confused:

#12 ·
My advice, would be as I did, to purchase a NEW modena 360, it only has 390 or 400 hp, and is an excellent learning supercar. After 10K with that, move on to somethign like a Gallardo (500hp) and on. I nearly died multiple times in a 360, doing cookies around sharp turns at 150+. But then, that is what the modena is, it has excellent handling. Porsches are for dentists and old women. My next car WILL be a 640 hp Murcielago GT, which is about 100 hp more than I know what to do with. Chow! :wave:

#13 ·
I have to say that the Murcie will feel way different than the 996. The Murcie also has smooth power, smooth as in constant brutal torque till redline. There is not let up in acceleration past 160mph.

I have a driven a CGT back to back and I can say that the Murcie does not feel far behind at all at high speed runs.

#14 ·
I've had a normally aspirated 996 tiptronic, 996 turbo (6spd, stock and after mods), F355, and diablo SV. no comparison in the 996 tip vs the diablo although it was a great daily driver and handled well. the turbo is a pretty stout car stock with good driveablility but stick 10-15k of turbo, exhaust, software, etc mods on it and it is explosive. ...and I can still drive it everyday. diablo has much more low end grunt than the turbo (think Z06 style if you've driven one of those) and great power all the way up but the big turbo boost on my porsche will tend to push the seat through your stomach a little more. I'm not a good enough driver to get the max out of either car so cant really say which is "faster". as previous post mentions, the passenger side blind spot is a killer and the view from the mirror reminds me of the little dentist mirror they stick in your mouth. just got this car but I love it! besides, if you were a teenager in the 80's, as I was, you probably had a poster of a lambo on your wall next to the one of farrah fawcett and you are wired to believe that super cars have doors that go up. didnt get to nail farrah but did get the lambo and it puts a permanent smile on my face every time I drive it.

btw - F355 was great fun, faster than the 996 tip, slower than the turbo and diablo.

if you are still considering the 996 tip go beat the crap out of it for a while. it will get better and you will learn to get more out of it (although probably not up to 6spd performance). the transmission has 256 different modes (or something like that) and usually sits in granny-mode unless you've been driving it hard. it's not "slow", just not in the same league.

short answer is YES. lambo is much better performing car than 996 (non turbo). if you can find a diablo for same price as a used 996 please tell me where I can buy another one!

#15 ·
I've had a carrera 4 cabrio (stick) and 2 996 turbos (stick), oh and a Cayenne Turbo :). Speaking from experience of having owned a Murcie and driving just about every modern Lambo out there, I'd have to say that there is no comparison between naturally aspirated carrera and the bulls. Again, agree with many here. I also do agree that a turbo with some mods can come close or straight out beat a stock Lambo.

Can't beat the everyday driveability of the Porsches though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.