Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at purchasing a 95 Diablo and am interested in thoughts around this model year vs other Diablo years. I have a basic understanding that newer model years are more refined and better built but I’m coming to the experts here for a more nuanced view.

It’s a higher mileage car at around 25k. I plan on driving the stink out of it and putting on a ton of additional miles. Collectibility is less of a concern.

I already own an injected 86 Countach so I’m somewhat familiar with Lamborghini ownership.

thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
In general, unless you are really focused on a rare variant, I would buy a car in the best condition you can within your budget. As you know, maintenance can bea big deal.

It is considered a tweener for the most part. Not as polished, powerful, or valuable as the later cars....not as raw as the early cars. The double stack dash is gone, which is good. I assume you're looking at a VT, which some dislike....but if you do you can convert it to 2WD.

Good car, no special chronic issues...

Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
All depends what you want! The 1995 has a lot of good things going for it:

• Power steering
  • Revised Dashboard
  • No passenger airbag
  • Pre OBDII (easier smog for states that have it)

VT's are known for being the "middle child" (neither the fastest nor most original), but that probably matters less and less as time goes on. The biggest changes occured in 1999 (300ZX headlights and revised dash) and 2001 (6.0)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The biggest changes occured in 1999 (300ZX headlights and revised dash) and 2001 (6.0)
There were alot of changes other than these in '99 and even more in '01. And I always have to laugh about people calling out the headlights as being from Nissan when Lamborghini bought out dozens of parts (just like Ferrari) every year. I'm glad the headlights are easy to obtain......when on my other car (Ford GT) they are bespoke units that are NLA from Ford and they cost anywhere from $3000 to $5000 each from hoarders or from wrecks.

Just recently I had to source suspension bushings for the Diablo and it turns out they were Alfa Romeo parts also used on Ferrari 328s.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I loved my early Diablo.
Much like the older Countach
The engine is bulletproof as long as the timing chain was replaced.
You don’t have to worry about complicated shocks for the lift system and maintenance is very easy

·
Registered
129 Posts
There were alot of changes other than these in '99 and even more in '01. And I always have to laugh about people calling out the headlights as being from Nissan when Lamborghini bought out dozens of parts (just like Ferrari) every year. I'm glad the headlights are easy to obtain......when on my other car (Ford GT) they are bespoke units that are NLA from Ford and they cost anywhere from $3000 to $5000 each from hoarders or from wrecks.

Just recently I had to source suspension bushings for the Diablo and it turns out they were Alfa Romeo parts also used on Ferrari 328s.
Yeah I think the headlights/dash are just the most obvious things. Each year has its pros/cons.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,815 Posts
OP, i have a 97.0, one of the last few built for USA before airbags were required (purposefully- I didn’t want the airbags). That’s the same VT genre and you will like the OBDII for much easier diagnostics. The car is still largely analog and fairly easy or at least straight forward to work on. Only 17” wheels and no ABS brakes are personal downsides as I would have preferred 18” and ABS, and if you don’t like 4WD you can reverse to 2WD easily and that is reversible back to OEM.

that said, 25K KMs (all Diablos are in KM) is by no means high mileage as my personal rule of thumb is 2,000 KMs per year minimum to keep everything lubed and running well for a good car likely to be well sorted by virtue of being run. That car is well below this wet-finger-in-air personal preference so ensure that the seller gets you all service records and you have a detailed PPI done by competent Lamborghini expert.

personal preference for me, by far, is Roadster. The sound, looks, noise, wind, blindspots, views, reversing, etc all will blow you away relative your Countach. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
(all Diablos are in KM)

personal preference for me, by far, is Roadster. The sound, looks, noise, wind, blindspots, views, reversing, etc all will blow you away relative your Countach. Good luck and keep us posted.
Not true....one of the many changes in '99 was going to miles on the odo.

I second the Roadster as being the gem of the Diablo line IF you like the top off experience, that no Miura or Countach can match. Roaring V-12 behind your ears and 30,000 feet of sky.

Reactions: OrmondLambo

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a 94 VT with high miles (55k MILES) that ran like a champion, it had been converted to 2WD.

I now have a 98 Roadster with about a quarter of the miles and I feel it doesn’t run as furiously as the 94!

I ended up converting to 2WD (very easy to reverse) and the car feels so much more alive.

The 98 ‘feels’ and drives more modern than 94. With the biggest difference being the clutch effort, so much easier than the 94. This was the big take away for me as well as a couple of other buddies who drove both my cars.

Some guys though love the feel of the original clutch, so personal preference.

Either way, you just can’t go wrong with any of these cars.

·
Registered
1994 Diablo VT
111 Posts
With a little seat time now on my 94 VT I can attest to the heavy clutch. The first time I ever drove it I was shocked at the heaviness of it. Now we have found out she had a leaky master cylinder and some other clutch pedal related issues that are being addressed. So, I'm interested to see how much difference is made after the fixes. The car is shockingly heavy in all aspects which really surprised me. Coming from the 360 spider to the Diablo it feels built like a tank. I excepted a lot more rattling and thinness but she is solid!! I have not really got to push the car much as it ate the Ebrake 40 miles after I got it. But can wait to get her back and see what she can do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts