Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just bought a 94 Diablo from a private seller, has a couple of issues, one of them being that the rev counter does not work, nor does it light up (all other gauges in the instrument binnacle light up and work though) and also the headlights will not turn on using the switches on the centre panel, only the sidelights will turn on. However, I am able to flash the headlights using the stalk on the steering column so they must work. Would this point to a fuse/relay or something else I can diagnose and replace? Or would I be better to get an auto electrician to look at it all?

I should also mention that its a 94 but has the 6.0 front bumper and fixed headlight

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would start by opening and see what is done, when modification was made. Bad connectors (Apiko) and anyone with wire cutters would be my bet on these.
Also connector for rev counter might be loose; Open up and see what is there.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,481 Posts
I would hazard a guess your headlights issue is from the obvious: someone replaced the bumper and the lights and now probably a connection they tampered with has gone bad.

As for the RPM gauge, you mentioned it does not work nor does the light work which tells me it is probably a bad ground on the gauge itself. The light is fairly easy to replace in and of itself and is a relatively cheap bulb. They are notorious for being weak and more dimly lit than the rest of the instrument cluster. that said, there is a brightness adjustment switch within the 10 switch light control panel in your center tunnel. It looks like two long horizontal triangles, opposed to each other, positioned one above the other. Push it progressively and the lights get lighter and lighter until they finally reset to off.

You can take off the instrument gauge cluster and carefully slip it past the steering wheel very gently so as not to scratch it. Then look back behind there and see if there is a loose wire or corroded ground.

congrats on the new car, and welcome to the forum! Please post pictures as we all love the eye candy. 😎

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both! Here are some pictures of the car

Noob question 2: Where is the best place to start to take the central panel with the headlights switches off without breaking anything? And also the instrument gauge cluster - I had a look at this thread already

I've also opened the fuse/relay panel in the passenger footwell and it looks as though the car has an entirely new panel as it does not match the one in the owners manual at all

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have discovered it is the later 6.0 fuse and relay panel that's installed - the headlights work when the relay is bridged so it seems to be a connection between the switch on the centre and the relay

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Your car looks like it has been significantly rewired so all bets are off. You may need to just go slow and be extremely methodical like so many of us on this website do with their cars as these cars have been modified over the years. The pictures look really great and I’m sure you’re having a ton of fun with that ride!

That said, the center tunnel at least on your car in its original configuration should only be connected by four star bit screws in the four corners. You will need to gently pull up the center cover and get your hand underneath to disconnect door switches and the ashtray light wiring etc. take photos with your phone as you go and be careful to note where everything goes back together. You may want to label each switch with tape as you go or with a permanent marker so that you don’t mix up driver and passenger side window switches, by way of example. At least on my car the stereo head unit needs to come out in order to pull the cover off. The 10 switch light box at least on my car slides into a groove on each side and can be gently pried out from behind. I would wait to see it or photo it with your phone before pulling on it. Note the age of your car at 25+ years old means some of the plastic pieces and attachment points are likely brittle at this point. Go slow. it is not as hard as you may think. Good luck and keep us all posted with pictures as you go!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your car looks like it has been significantly rewired so all bets are off. You may need to just go slow and be extremely methodical like so many of us on this website do with their cars as these cars have been modified over the years. The pictures look really great and I’m sure you’re having a ton of fun with that ride!

That said, the center tunnel at least on your car in its original configuration should only be connected by four star bit screws in the four corners. You will need to gently pull up the center cover and get your hand underneath to disconnect door switches and the ashtray light wiring etc. take photos with your phone as you go and be careful to note where everything goes back together. You may want to label each switch with tape as you go or with a permanent marker so that you don’t mix up driver and passenger side window switches, by way of example. At least on my car the stereo head unit needs to come out in order to pull the cover off. The 10 switch light box at least on my car slides into a groove on each side and can be gently pried out from behind. I would wait to see it or photo it with your phone before pulling on it. Note the age of your car at 25+ years old means some of the plastic pieces and attachment points are likely brittle at this point. Go slow. it is not as hard as you may think. Good luck and keep us all posted with pictures as you go!
Thanks man! Yeah I love the car, was so impressed by how modern and comfortable it still feels, and how fast it is for the era! Was expecting it to be pretty compromised. Don't think I'll ever want another car, it has everything I want

Will take my time taking the centre console apart, thanks for the tips - only managed to get the piece with the 10 switches out so far, was able to pry it out with a screwdriver

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
another thought - on the SV - which only has driving lights at the front (no fogs as on earlier cars such as a 94), the front fog light switch is there and does nothing.

when you pull the headlight main beam on the front driving light comes one.
I believe the front bumper you have off a 6.0, only has the driving lights in.

somebody went to a very great expense btw, replacing not just the front bumper, but both front wings (no vents at the top on the 6.0)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
To add to Davo456’s comment, that seems to explain why they changed the wiring harness and fuse panel at least on the passenger side (rear wiring harness and bumper and engine fuse panels as well ?). That must’ve been a tremendous amount of work to get in there as the entire front of the car would have needed to be disassembled. Any known reason why?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two things, that may help... it was on collecting cars..

and

Yes, this is definitely my car - never noticed it on there before - thank you - the manuals will definitely be very handy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
another thought - on the SV - which only has driving lights at the front (no fogs as on earlier cars such as a 94), the front fog light switch is there and does nothing.

when you pull the headlight main beam on the front driving light comes one.
I believe the front bumper you have off a 6.0, only has the driving lights in.

somebody went to a very great expense btw, replacing not just the front bumper, but both front wings (no vents at the top on the 6.0)
Interesting, so at least its only the headlights I need to fix! (As i'd assumed the small round lights at the bottom of the bumper were fog lights, which were also not working)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To add to Davo456’s comment, that seems to explain why they changed the wiring harness and fuse panel at least on the passenger side (rear wiring harness and bumper and engine fuse panels as well ?). That must’ve been a tremendous amount of work to get in there as the entire front of the car would have needed to be disassembled. Any known reason why?
I have no idea why, reading through the history on the car there has been a huge amount spent on various things - I think a lot of it must have been for cosmetic reasons, but also one of the previous owners also owned a car workshop and he got his own company to do a lot of work on the car - the invoices just from that period total over £36000 - here's some of the bigger stuff I can make out it's had done to it - as far as I can tell there was no history of the car being in an accident

-Full gearbox rebuild (seems like there was a problem with 5th)
-power steering conversion
-Stock lambo brakes and discs replaced with Alcon ones
-straight through exhaust
-spoiler added and then removed again
-updated lights and body to look like the 6.0
-full respray
-murcielago clutch and wheels installed

Sadly there is no wiring diagram included within any of the paperwork I got with the car, nor does it now look as though the fuse and relay panel is wired up exactly as per the 6.0, although the relays for the lights seem to be in the same place (based on trial and error removal)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
i'd assumed the small round lights at the bottom of the bumper were fog lights, which were also not working)
Stephen, at least on my original bumper those lights are your passing lights. With your headlights off, pull the high beam light stalk on the steering column back and you will see that they blink on. If not, then they were a casualty of your rewiring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stephen, at least on my original bumper those lights are your passing lights. With your headlights off, pull the high beam light stalk on the steering column back and you will see that they blink on. If not, then they were a casualty of your rewiring.
Yeah they don't come on with the high beams when I pull the stalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Headlights are working! Took out the 10 switch box from the centre panel, dissasembled and cleaned contacts - was just a bit of corrosion on the contact behind the switch. Thanks for the help all

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
That is good news, Stephen, and certainly the cheapest fix. That's interesting, though, as that switch panel is pretty solid and is an unlikely area for corrosion. You might want to proactively check your fuses for any corrosion and check your ECUs' connectors. It would be 10 minutes well spent to ensure you don't find any other corroded connectors, then off to enjoy your car!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the tip! I'll check all those too. When I look the switch panel out it was all bent inwards and mangled on the top and bottom so it had obviously been taken out a few times before (and run over by a car by the looks of it!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.