Lamborghini Talk banner
741 - 760 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
91 Diablo
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #742 ·
So one of the fuel pressure regulators was bad. The diaphragm broken causing it to dump fuel into the vacuum hose. I suspect it was as a returned item because one of them looked re-packaged when I got them. Who knows if it was a faulty part or if it was caused by the pervious purchaser but it doesn’t make me terribly confident in the quality of these Weapon-R FPR. They even say in the instructions that if you screw in the adjustment for the pressure it will pierce tue diaphragm. Seems like a terrible design. Why not just make the threads shorter!? So I have now gone back to my originals for now. With how similar the designs are it’s an easy swap.

·
Registered
91 Diablo
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
Can you replace the screws with shorter screws?
It's not really a screw but a hose fitting for the vacuum hose. I would assume that it needs a specific clearance inside which is what limits the amount of vacuum depending on how far in it is turned. So I think really the solution would be that they make the threads shorter on the fitting so that it cannot be screwed in far enough the damage it.

·
Registered
91 Diablo
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #748 ·
Just an update on my work in the last couple of weeks. I have been working feverishly to get the Diablo back together for a show called Tuto Italiano in Boston. This was the show were I saw my first Diablo back in about 1998. It would be a dream come true to have it there. In the process of getting everything back together I have run into a few issues that took some time to correct.

The first issue I found was that I had wired each phase sensor in reverse polarity. I'm not sure how/why I did this but the amp plugs that I replaced were a crappy rewire someone did previously and used connectors with two ****e wires so I suppose that would have led to my error. This issue allowed the car to start the first time I fired it up and it ran fine for about 10 seconds. Since I didn't have everything put together at that point, like air boxes and cooling system, I didn't start it again for a week or so while I got everything else in the engine bay back together. When I went to fire it up again I ran but was backfiring almost immediately. It took me a couple of days to figure out what it was. I was not running it long enough due to the backfiring for it to throw a CEL code. I found that it ran ok on the left bank with the right bank injector unplugged so I let it run like this long enough to throw a CEL. It was number 5 or 6 (can't remember) for timing/phase sensors reversed. My first thought was that I just had the unplug them and plug them in to the opposing connector but then it didn't start at all. So I tried reversing the polarity of one using jumper wires and it ran a little better. Then with the polarity of both reversed, it fired right up and ran great! So I pulled the wires out of the amp connectors and just slipped them back in in the reverse polarity.

Another issue I had was that when bleeding my new hydraulic throw out bearing and clutch system, I made the mistake of thinking the brake reservoir was the clutch since it is on the same side as the clutch. Really just an absent mined mistake since I knew that the clutch pedal has a rod that runs towards the center of the car opposite the brake pedal before it goes through the "firewall". I ended up bleeding the reservoir dry apparently which put air into the master cylinder. The clutch felt normal, although very light with my updated TOB, so I didn't realize there was an issue until a started backing the car out and noticed that the car was not fully stopping when I had the clutch in. I then immediately saw smoke coming out of my clutch so back in the garage it went. F$%K! after 6 hours of bleeding with a vacuum pump, yes, no joke 6 hours, I realized that the hose that came out of the reservoir loops around in a way that it traps air if the reservoir ever goes dry. So I had to unbolt the reservoir and lift it up to straighten the hose. The air came out immediately. I bleed the system again the conventional way, which my wife was not happy to have to do again, and all was good.

The slipping of the clutch has now caused another issue which I believe to be timing sensor on the flywheel being covered with clutch debris. I believe it is a carbon kevlar clutch and have heard that there debris messes with the sensors. I remembered this as soon as it happened so I blew compressed air into the port on the left side of the engine that has not sensor in it and this corrected the issue. Or so I though. It now seems to be fine at times, then it is not, so I think there is likely still debris in there getting on it. It is not easy to access so that is going to have to wait till next week to be removed and cleaned. When not running well it throws a code for lean mixture which swapped sides when I swapped O2 sensors so I'm not sure what that is about but will be replacing those as well just to be sure.

·
Registered
91 Diablo
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
So needless to say, Francesca did not make it to Tuto Italiano this year. I did manage to get her running well an hour before I had to leave but I just didn't feel comfortable bringing her so untested. There was a great turnout though! 3 Diablos. 1 VT and 2 6.0s. I didn't get a chance to get a photo of the black 6.0 because he left so soon. Hopefully next year Francesca will make it. 🤞
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Clothing Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
91 Diablo
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #751 ·
Thank you Mark! Much appreciated. The problems are nothing major so I’m happy about that. When the engine runs right it sound great! It’s smoother and cleaner than it ever was that is for sure! I just need to get it running like that consistently. Hopefully next week I can get her there.

·
Registered
91 Diablo
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #755 ·
After a ton of work and frustration I have finished all but a few last details on the interior. I wish that I had better before pictures of the interior before I removed it but there were many cuts, scratches and cracks in the leather particularly on the seats and sills. Below are a few before pictures of some of the worst pieces after I removed them. I have to say I'm quite surprised at how well everything turned out. It looks almost like new. The only part that I re-skinned was the handbrake which had been very worn and repaired poorly in the past. For this I found a similar piece of leather at a leather shop in Italy when I was on vacation. I had the dye it to match but it was quite close. I used all Leatherique products including their carpet dye what I had never used before (I'm not sure if it's any different than their leather dye). I like their products but their color matching is quite poor. I had to mix the colors with other dyes I had from other projects to get the colors right.

Before:
Chair Beige Wood Khaki Material property

Beige Tints and shades Automotive design Car Auto part

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Lumber

After:
Vehicle Car Automotive design Car seat cover Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i am definately going to hitting you up for tips as mine is just like your in overall condition. I definately want to keep it original, but the seats need refreshing. Remind me
1) did you do the seats in the car or out
2) did you spray the entire seats or just where it was faded
3) how the hell did you match the color?
4) i think you mentioned you dabbed on the color, is that right.

no need to respond now, i will probably call you when i get closer to the task.

amazing work as always.

741 - 760 of 790 Posts