Lamborghini Talk banner
681 - 700 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
And remind me what happened to the oil pump, and you had to have it redone? I would appreciate hearing more details on that.
The oil pump had scoring on the inside from debris. I am having the machine shop machine out the scoring. I believe the gears will clean up just fine because again, the damage is contained to the softer aluminum.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Just another minor issue I found when replacing literally every bearing I come across in the rebuild is that the bearing in the differential carrier on the shaft from the trans to the diff was not the correct style bearing. It should be sealed on both sides not just one like mine was. There is no seal there so it must be a sealed bearing. Mine was completely exposed to the elements.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
I got the Loctite 578 that I needed today so I installed the crank girdle tonight. This completes the bottom end which a great feeling. I really wouldn't mind having a spare short block just to stare at and turn over from time to time.
Blue Idiophone Gas Machine Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Vehicle Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Auto part Gas Symmetry

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
And remind me what happened to the oil pump, and you had to have it redone? I would appreciate hearing more details on that.
I can give more details about my oil pump when I get those parts back but for anyone interested, check out this old thread I found. This is exactly the issue I have and will likely be having all the same work done.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,828 Posts
Wow, Seth, this is such amazing stuff. Thank you for posting. I’m with you I think I would just love to have a working short block on display for anybody that comes in the garage to view. Congrats on all your successes can’t wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
Thanks Mark!

The fuel rail and how the fitting connects on each end has come up a couple times recently on here so I thought I'd post a picture of it. I'm replacing the two o-rings on each. There is a pin that holds them in. I drilled it out enough to screw a tap in then pulled it out.

I got my fuel injectors back from Proflow. I am very happy with the service I got. Turnaround time was very fast and the price very reasonable at $22 each. You can see the percentage gains in the photo below.

Cloud Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Automotive wheel system
Rectangle Font Material property Music Parallel

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks Mark!

The fuel rail and how the fitting connects on each end has come up a couple times recently on here so I thought I'd post a picture of it. I'm replacing the two o-rings on each. There is a pin that holds them in. I drilled it out enough to screw a tap in then pulled it out.

I got my fuel injectors back from Proflow. I am very happy with the service I got. Turnaround time was very fast and the price very reasonable at $22 each. You can see the percentage gains in the photo below.

View attachment 313750 View attachment 313752
Seth this is great info and thank you for sharing . Pls help to post a few pictures when you put the fuel rail back together . I suspect my o rings need to be replaced too but I just don’t dare to touch it as the rail is no longer available .

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
I received the Tilton TOB and have finished the initial setup of it. It is just a floating style but it does have a tab for a bolt just to keep it from spinning so I fabricated a bracket that I bolted to the bell housing and drilled and tapped a hole for an M6 stud. Here's a picture of the initial setup. I still need to set the depth and add a clutch pedal stop to keep it from overextending.
Light Automotive tire Silver Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
I have also been busy cleaning up parts as they go back on and replacing every bearing. The roller bearings are mostly fine but I am replacing them anyway. A couple were noticeably worse than the new ones so that made me feel good about replacing them. I have installed the new lower timing chain. I could see very little difference between the old and new but it just seemed like cheap insurance since it was already off considering the damage it could cause if it failed.

The machine shop finished the oil pump yesterday. It was not nearly as bed as we originally thought he only took 14 ten thousandths off the face of the pump gear. He felt like the safest route to go is to not touch the rest of it as he would have to machine the inside of the timing cover as well as the mounting surface and would have to get both perfect.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
I'm a bit behind posting my progress on the Diablo. I'm making great progress now though. I have got the last of the parts (the oil pump) back from the machine shop. All of the new bearings, timing chains, refurbished oil pump, and heads are now back on. I have to say that the most time consuming parts of the build have been all of the cleaning and cosmetic refurbishing I'm doing. I think I went though 6 cans of brake clean on the engine internals alone.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gear Automotive wheel system

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Electronic engineering Audio equipment Circuit component Engineering Electronic component

Blue Motor vehicle Engineering Mass production Machine

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
I'm working on degreeing the cams now. According to the WSM you need like 100 different special Lamborghini tools, which would sure be nice to have but I think I will be able to get by without them. The wrench to turn the cams look like it would be the most useful so far but i should be able to modify one that I have to do that. More progress to some soon!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
One thing to point out is that I found that the spring on the new thermostat that I got from George Evans was much stronger than on my last one. One thing I always suspected was that coolant would bypass the radiators at high revs leading to the running hot issues I had. So I'm curious if this will make a difference. Although I will never really know because I'm replacing so many parts in the system.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
with that motor apart, can you look at the timing chain of the WSM for the later cars, compare it to what you are starting at, and determine why the cams turn in the opposite direction for the early cars? :unsure:

Seriously that is such a beautiful engine, what a amazing feat.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
Yeah, I still don’t understand that. Is it just a difference of perspective? Ours says anti-clockwise from the timing chain side. So that’s clockwise from the flywheel side.

She is a beauty isn’t she!? I almost hate to put it back in the car! LOL… NOT!

681 - 700 of 726 Posts