Lamborghini Talk banner
601 - 620 of 639 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 ·
I refinished the door latches. They were one part that didn't make it into the batch of parts I had plated years ago and they've bothered me ever since. It took a bit to get the finish right on them. I looked at many pictures of these online to see how shiny and how yellow they are originally. They seem to be shiny and only a little yellow on the early cars so I tried to match that. I'm not sure but newer cars may have not even been yellow zinc.

Before
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

After
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Material property Vehicle door

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bag Sleeve Fixture

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
Incredible work SPGlass.

Where are you from in Maine?

Our summer home is between Boothbay and Pemaquid.
Thank you! That's my "neck of the woods right there"! I grew up in the small town of Whitefield just inland from there. Maine is the best in the summer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
thats solid work - looking awesome. the door hinges are really nice.
Thanks Geno. Yeah, those are one of the few things that I will actually see on a regular basis. It's a shame that so much work goes into parts that will never be seen. But I really like knowing that everything underneath will be nearly perfect. The paint will easily be the worst part of my car. Maybe it's time to get a paint booth. ;)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i am in complete agreement. except some pieces look they were made in a crude shop, like the cover for the door locks....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
Yeah, those look like a total after thought. Speaking of which, what finish are those originally? I think mine are like a bare etched aluminum.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i am not sure if mine has an original amp. Headunit and subs were replace, but i will look and read what it says next time in shop.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What is the original Alpine amp in the 91? Is it an Alpine 3552?
Yes the Alpine 3552 is the correct original amp for a US car, European cars got the 3540 Alpine amp.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
Thanks Jay! Much appreciated. I have an Alpine but it's not original and a different size so it doesn't fit the opening. I will be ordering the 3552.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
So it is possible that I have reach a new level of insanity. I am now removing parts of my car like nuts and bolts just to redo the zinc plating. For a garage queen I wouldn't consider for a second that this may be going to far but considering that my car is a high mile Diablo and I still intend to use it regularly I feel like this level of OCD work just might be a bit much. But honestly, I just can't help myself. I find myself so obsessed and passionate about my Diablo that I can't ignore a part that could use some love.

Since I have my zinc plating system that is quite easy to use, I have decided to replate everything I can and only replace fasteners that are damaged or are incorrect non original. This takes a significant amount of time but it is very rewarding. I've done most of the larger pieces so far and many are still in good shape from when I sent parts out to be plated the last time the engine was out. I now will be going through all of the fasteners that I have bagged and tagged, just doing one bag at a time so as to not get them mixed up.

One area I spent quite a bit of time on was the oil filter housing, hoses, and surrounding area. Unfortunately, this is an area that will never be seen but I will know it looks perfect.

Tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle frame

Filter housing before:
Automotive tire Flash photography Water Style Door

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
One of the oil line that bolts to the block had quite a significant dent that was hammered into it. Someone clearly had issues getting to the mounting bolt so instead of finding the proper tool they just hammered a dent into it. :rolleyes: I was thinking of just replacing it but then I decided I might as well just try pushing the dent out and smoothing it out. I had to torch it till it was red hot in order to push the dent out. There were still several nicks and surface dents in it so I filled those in with my mig welder then ground the weld smooth before bead blasting and zinc plating. The hex nut on the ends of both of the oil pipes were clearly removed with a pair of channel lock pliers at some point. There were many deep tooth marks in them. I filled these marks in with the mig and ground these smooth prior to plating as well.
Wood Font Tints and shades Reptile Metal

Sculpture Grey Automotive exhaust Wood Art

Wood Gas Auto part Cork Metal

Scaled reptile Metal Fashion accessory Titanium Auto part

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,601 Posts
You have not reached a new level of insanity, you have reached a new level of perfection! I am so amazed at your work! I’m about ready to send all my parts your way and pay you to do them. 😎

in all sincerity the amount of work we put into these cars we will never get back, and it’s at some point one starts to feel that the car should become a garage queen. I’m not doing the amount of work that you are doing but my car is in a bazillion pieces with the engine and gearbox out as well and it makes me wonder if it becomes a garage queen when I put it all back together. I talk to other people and they say drive it, it’s meant to be driven. One thing is for sure: increase your stated value insurance policy.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Parts look great! I've been wanting to try the Caswell system for zinc coating for awhile now.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·
You have not reached a new level of insanity, you have reached a new level of perfection! I am so amazed at your work! I’m about ready to send all my parts your way and pay you to do them. 😎

in all sincerity the amount of work we put into these cars we will never get back, and it’s at some point one starts to feel that the car should become a garage queen. I’m not doing the amount of work that you are doing but my car is in a bazillion pieces with the engine and gearbox out as well and it makes me wonder if it becomes a garage queen when I put it all back together. I talk to other people and they say drive it, it’s meant to be driven. One thing is for sure: increase your stated value insurance policy.
Thank you Mark. I know some day she will become a garage queen but that time is not close. I guess I'll just look at it like I'm just giving her another 30 years of greatness.

Parts look great! I've been wanting to try the Caswell system for zinc coating for awhile now.
Thanks Jay. It's a great system once you get it all set up and figure out the whole process. I'd be happy to give you more details on it or you're welcome to come by some time and see the process in person if you're down this way.

I applaud your obsession, looks amazing seth
Thanks Geno. I've been obsessed with Diablo since I was 10. I used to drive my mother crazy talking to her about how I wanted to have one some day. I actually thought this level of obsession would diminish once I had one but it has actually evolved into a deeper and broader obsession, passion, and appreciation for the Diablo and other similar cars from that era.

601 - 620 of 639 Posts