Lamborghini Talk banner
581 - 600 of 639 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
Another issue I had was that there were two bumps in the leather just behind the shift lever surround where there are rivets that hold a bracket on. It appears that the console is sprayed with some sort of texture to smooth it out and maybe cover these bumps before the leather goes on. On my car the rear of the four rivets were protruding quite a bit so I lifted the edge of the leather up just in front of them and put a skim coat of bondo over them and sanded it smooth. I then steamed and massaged the leather several times then re-stretched and glued the leather. These bumps are almost completely unnoticeable now.
Hood Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Grille Automotive lighting

Hood Sleeve Grey Automotive tire Wood

Automotive tire Tire Wood Automotive exterior Sleeve

·
Registered
316 Posts
Another issue I had was that there were two bumps in the leather just behind the shift lever surround where there are rivets that hold a bracket on. It appears that the console is sprayed with some sort of texture to smooth it out and maybe cover these bumps before the leather goes on. On my car the rear of the four rivets were protruding quite a bit so I lifted the edge of the leather up just in front of them and put a skim coat of bondo over them and sanded it smooth. I then steamed and massaged the leather several times then re-stretched and glued the leather. These bumps are almost completely unnoticeable now.
View attachment 305475
View attachment 305473
View attachment 305476
Seth , this looks as good as New !

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
It really is a great combo. A true work of art! The seats in the early Diablo have always been my favorite looking seats of any car since I was like 10. The tan with the red piping have always been my favorite. But damn these things are going to be hard to clean. Does anyone have experience cleaning the holes in the seats? By "holes" I mean the holes where you see the fabric underneath the leather.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i have both seats out, and working on reconditioning them. mine have been sprayed with dye, so the holes in the seats are no longer really black. there is some sort of fabric under there, and when i had my last diablo interior redone, they didnt install that fabric. i need to get them back to black, not sure what i am going to do. i agree, the seats are works of art, i have one in my living room right now.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I use genuine Marseille soap and light brush for leather, local store sells it for 3.50,- It is only safe cleaning stuff to use, because you do not know what is in those brand name products.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
i have both seats out, and working on reconditioning them. mine have been sprayed with dye, so the holes in the seats are no longer really black. there is some sort of fabric under there, and when i had my last diablo interior redone, they didnt install that fabric. i need to get them back to black, not sure what i am going to do. i agree, the seats are works of art, i have one in my living room right now.
Would love to see details and progress of your seat reconditioning. I hope to start mine as soon
Was the fabric ever black? Mine are like an off white but quite dirty. I'm not exactly sure how to go about cleaning these yet but I will give some detail when I do.

I use genuine Marseille soap and light brush for leather, local store sells it for 3.50,- It is only safe cleaning stuff to use, because you do not know what is in those brand name products.
I've never used that. I'll give it a try. I was reluctant to use any sort of degreaser on the stitching but nothing else was working well. I have since tried Letherique Pristine Clean which is a conditioner and cleaner in one. It worked very well so I will use that from now on.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
I thought mine couldn't possibly have ever been black but they were. The fabric just lost all of it's color. I partially disassembled the center of the seat and verified that that fabric is in fact black. I considered removing the center of the seat to get to the fabric so that I could re-dye it but I determined that this is not feasible. I ordered some fine tip black fabric pens and will do each hole.
Brown Water Liquid Amber Wood

Outerwear Bag Textile Sleeve Beige

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
at some point, someone will need to document how that is constructed. what is the fabric. As amazing as my last interior was it missed that detail. i agree, these early diablo seats are works of pure art.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
I've got my zinc plating setup up and running. It's a bit more complicated than I originally realized but now that it's all set up it's quite easy to do and extremely satisfying!
Wood Luggage and bags Bag Gadget Office equipment

Drum Wood Floor Audio equipment Electronic instrument

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,601 Posts
That looks good but not as good as if those crab pots were full of crabs! With Old Bay seasoning, too. Mmmm.

so what treatment do you need to do to the parts before you start to do the zink process?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
That looks good but not as good as if those crab pots were full of crabs! With Old Bay seasoning, too. Mmmm.

so what treatment do you need to do to the parts before you start to do the zink process?
Haha! Being from Maine I would say lobsters not crabs. ;)

You just need to get it down to clean metal or zinc. I bead blasted this cover. Then you immerse them in heated degreaser, then immerse them in the zinc plating solution and apply voltage with a rectifier (lets you control the amps). The electricity flows through two anode plates at each side of the tank, through the solution and onto the parts being plated. It takes about 10-20 min depending on the size of the part and how thick you want the plating. The thicker the plating the better the corrosion resistance. Once it's plated with zinc you just take it out, rinse with distilled water and dunk into the yellow chromate solution for about 30 seconds with gives it the yellow look. Then just rinse and dry and it's finished. Pretty easy once it's all set up and you have the process down. It's not really a money saving way of doing it if you're doing a lot of parts since there's so much labor that goes into it but it's great for someone who just likes doing it themselves or just wants to do a couple small pieces at a time. Any plating business would charge a minimum to do a run so just this part alone could cost $100.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,601 Posts
Very cool and great seeing the level of detail you’re putting into your car. Thank you for the write up.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I've got my zinc plating setup up and running.
This is one part that is missing from my work, mainly because small customer, few part, zink busines is not worth it.
Can you write down what stuff you are using and where to get it (I live in Europe)
I have done zink years ago, but never yellow chromate. I have lab voltage supply pots and pans, but what voltage are you roughly using how much "this and that" ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
This is one part that is missing from my work, mainly because small customer, few part, zink busines is not worth it.
Can you write down what stuff you are using and where to get it (I live in Europe)
I have done zink years ago, but never yellow chromate. I have lab voltage supply pots and pans, but what voltage are you roughly using how much "this and that" ?
I'm not sure if they could ship it internationally or not but I got the plating kit rom Caswell Plating in the US. It's there Copy Cad & Zinc Plating Kit. You can find it here: Plating Kits - Copy Cad® & Zinc Plating Kits - Caswell Inc

This comes with most of what you need. They do not supply the heaters or the power supply. I used the ceramic coated pots I had for electroless nickel plating as well as the hot plates that I have plugged into temp controllers. It's probably about $250-300 for the whole setup. The kit says not to add the brightener for the zinc if doing yellow chromate but most of the parts I'm refinishing are a bright (shiny) zinc so I added it so that it matches the original finish from Lamborghini.

The process is exactly the same as zinc but when it's finished plating you just submerge it in the yellow chromate solution for 10-30 seconds (depending on how yellow you want it).

581 - 600 of 639 Posts