Lamborghini Talk banner

401 - 420 of 427 Posts

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,295 Posts
I’ve been in the fuel tank area a couple of times, Seth and Leslie. The sender unit on my car was working just fine and I only had 18,000 miles or so so I left it in place but I did replace the gasket. The sender unit is not a bad idea to replace at this age, however. In terms of replacing the tank, I have not heard of failures to the tank but it does look quite impossible to get out without taking the rear quarter panel off the car. All the fuel lines and high pressure hydraulic lines for the front lift are in this location as are fuel pumps and radiator tank. All of that area with the quarter panel out should be replaced as you don’t want to do it again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for giving me hope. Part number is 009455239.
Oh, that's actually a reasonable price. Do you have the part number? removing it is much easier than it looks. At lease if you have the engine out already. It's flexible enough to just bend in the middle as you pull it back. It is a bit tedious removing all of the parts that mount in front of it keeping it from coming out. The battery kill switch was the hardest for me because after removing the nuts on the backside it was very stuck in place. It took quite a bit of persuasion to get it out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
I’ve been in the fuel tank area a couple of times, Seth and Leslie. The sender unit on my car was working just fine and I only had 18,000 miles or so so I left it in place but I did replace the gasket. The sender unit is not a bad idea to replace at this age, however. In terms of replacing the tank, I have not heard of failures to the tank but it does look quite impossible to get out without taking the rear quarter panel off the car. All the fuel lines and high pressure hydraulic lines for the front lift are in this location as are fuel pumps and radiator tank. All of that area with the quarter panel out should be replaced as you don’t want to do it again.
I’m not sure why but I thought that the fuel tank came out through the wheel well. I will at least take a peek in there and see what it looks like when I replace the sender.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
So I’m my battle to eliminate ALL corrosion I decided that I better remove most of the interior and floor pans. Quite a job that is. Took about 6 hours. And there is very little corrosion on the top of the frame. Only on the underside where it was up against the aluminum panels. I suspect the rust is due to a previous owner removed these panels and did not seal them when they put them back on causing water to get behind them and sit there and corrode.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
SP, im actually not sure if the tank comes out backwards through the wheel well or 90 degrees “right” through the body panel. It can’t come upward or in “left” towards the engine as frame members are there. If it comes out through the wheel well, I think the entire wheel and shock assembly would need to be removed first. Regardless, a big pain.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
And, if you are going to replace that sender you’ll need to remove the fuel filters and radiator tank so you might as well do all your fuel lines while you’re in that job. Feel free to call me if I can shed any light on it. With your car mostly apart already you should have no problem getting access. My sender cleared the frame member above it by probably less than 3 mm. You may need to loosen your gas tank and wiggle it slightly if your frame member is in the way. That sender is about 18 inches deep and must come straight up but the top few inches is wider than the remaining 18 inches so once you get the top of the sender past the frame member you are in the clear..

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
And, if you are going to replace that sender you’ll need to remove the fuel filters and radiator tank so you might as well do all your fuel lines while you’re in that job. Feel free to call me if I can shed any light on it. With your car mostly apart already you should have no problem getting access. My sender cleared the frame member above it by probably less than 3 mm. You may need to loosen your gas tank and wiggle it slightly if your frame member is in the way. That sender is about 18 inches deep and must come straight up but the top few inches is wider than the remaining 18 inches so once you get the top of the sender past the frame member you are in the clear..
It looks like it will b fairly easy to get the sender out now since I already have so much out. Good to hear that you didn’t have to move the tank. I’m not certain if it will clear the frame member for me yet. I recently replaced all four filters and some lines bu not the hoses or pumps so it would be a good time to do that. My list just keeps growing as I dig deeper. Hoping I will find and end soon.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
You you are nuts! That said, I’m thoroughly enjoying this thread 😀
Thanks! There’s a lot more to come soon!

Nicely done. are the glass panels riveted in?
The floor pans are riveted in. I didn’t put much thought into it and though it would be an easy job till I got into it and realize just how much was mounted over the top of them. All of the belts, ecu’s, wiring, belts, sills, brake and clutch lines, etc. and all of the wires feed through a hole to the ecu’s on the passenger side so some of the connectors need to deconstructed to get them through.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·

All welded back in as good as new. It’s funny how bad many of the original welds are on these cars.

Diablo with a 3” lift kit. 😂 Going to be doing some serious cleaning while everything’s apart and I have good access.

·
Registered
641 Posts
View attachment 296739
All welded back in as good as new. It’s funny how bad many of the original welds are on these cars.
View attachment 296740
Diablo with a 3” lift kit. 😂 Going to be doing some serious cleaning while everything’s apart and I have good access.
Awesome work!
Just curious, is there anyway you can powder coat the frame you work on? With All that work, I’d make sure rust will never return.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Awesome work!
Just curious, is there anyway you can powder coat the frame you work on? With All that work, I’d make sure rust will never return.
That would be nice but powder coating requires baking in an oven so it would have to be stripped down to only the frame. I don’t think it will be necessary since I’m using rust converter, high quality paint and an oil based rust prevention from NHOU. Also, I don’t drive in the rain or wash my car with water. The way these cars are built there are so many spots for water to collect, sit and rot.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 · (Edited)
Anyone with an early Diablo, can you tell me if your fuse panel in the passenger footwell is just floating or is it fixed in place somehow? If it is fixed can you tell me how or post a picture of the mounting method? Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Ok, thanks Geno. That’s what I thought but it just seems weird to me. I’m curious if the later cars have boards that are mounted in some way and if so how.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
Does anyone know if this vacuum diagram is available anywhere? I can’t find it anywhere.

401 - 420 of 427 Posts