Lamborghini Talk banner

381 - 400 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
I got a little sidetracked after taking out the oil cooler for cleaning when I noticed what looked like a little corrosion behind the drivers side rocker. Upon removal I found that the entire bottom of the steel panel that is welded to the frame behind the rocker was all rusted. It was welded and seem sealed in place but came out relatively easy with a cutoff wheel. Once I got it off it was no surprise why it was so rusted. There was no primer on the back side of the panel or the frame behind it. Luckily, it was just very lite surface rust on the frame. The passenger side looks to be in the same condition so I will also be restoring that as well as the truck pan and also removing all the under panels and refinishing the entire underside of the frame and any other areas with corrosion.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,295 Posts
SP, this whole thread is very interesting and thank you for taking the time to post it. I don’t profess to know what happened to your car other than that looks like something failed somewhere in your oil system and particles got sucked up into your engine. Sorry you are in this position.

but as for the rocker panel and the underneath of the frame, I took some of that area off my 97 when I had a gas leak two years ago. When I drilled out the riveted bottom section I found that all of the frame had been factory coated with rubberized undercoating paint. Under that was primed/not raw metal. Sounds like your frame may not have been properly coated? I had to redo the rubberized paint in that area because of the gas leak, but had no rust thankfully. Don’t know if my comments help you at all but just wanted to pass that along. Sounds like you won’t miss a beat because you can in that condition bring it to original metal, prime, and repaint. best luck to you in your restoration.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Hi Mark. It's my pleasure. Just my way of giving back to the community that has helped me so much.

Yes, you are right about that. Something went wrong in the oiling system. It's looking more like an issue of debris than low pressure because of the scoring and which bearing are the worse. The worst bearing on the crank is the center main. If it were low pressure the bearings would get worse towards the end farthest away from the oil input.

I wonder if Lamborghini changed how they did the undercoating/primer over the years. I believe behind the under panels is primed as you described but behind that welded on panel on the rocker was not. Lamborghini clearly welded this panel on before priming the frame and being in the location it's in it's just prone to getting moisture. I would suggest that anyone taking your rockers off plan to check this spot for corrosion. My car really has very little corrosion compared to other Diablos I've seen so I would assume this is likely an issue on many Diablos. At least early Diablos. This panel is not structural in any way but if left to rot it is going to eventually rot out the frame as well so it's better to catch it as early as possible.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
Just a tip for anyone taking the passenger rocker panel off. For that pain in the a$$ bolt beside the fuel tank (otherwise know as the bolt from heIl), with the rear wheel and wheel well liners removed and car lifted about 16” off the floor I stood in the wheel well leaning over the tank and with a ratchet with a 11.5” extension, I fed it down the side of the rear quarter vertically and used it to find the head of the nut then removed. It might be a bit easier if you had a second person to be looking in there at the same time but this is how I had to do it because I couldn’t look and at it at the same time reach it and had no help. Also, I can fit in some pretty small spaces so this may not work for everyone. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
325 Posts
This is such a great thread! Thanks for all these fun to read posts SP.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Thanks Craig!

I found a bit more corrosion on the passenger side. Here it was thin enough I was able to put a screwdriver through the lower frame member. It’s really only where that panel was against it so condensation probably just sat in there and rotted it out. Probably not such a great design being that the heater lines are against this panel on one side and the ac lines on the other. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Just went ahead and cut that whole cancer area out and applied rust converter to everything before getting the patch panel ready.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
My aluminum panel on the firewall was showing signs of abuse, likely from engine outs/installs, so I pulled it and made a replacement. I was trying to figure how the h$ll I was going to get it out being that it was much wider than the frame but once I got all the fasteners removed I realized it’s very thin and flexible so it came right out.

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
325 Posts
Probably 2000USD from Lamborghini if it can still be sourced at all. Maybe you should be a supplier for their restoration department.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,295 Posts
Wow! Great job! What other “while you are in there” jobs are you planning on doing? Front heater hose to the heater core? New gas tank and lines? Engine mounts?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I know that bolt.....

how are your front pans and wheel liners? If the rockers are gone the front is too...or they have been replaced.
good work and documentation, thank you Seth

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
Probably 2000USD from Lamborghini if it can still be sourced at all. Maybe you should be a supplier for their restoration department.
Haha, thanks. I actually couldn't even find the part on the parts diagrams so I guess it's priceless.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Wow! Great job! What other “while you are in there” jobs are you planning on doing? Front heater hose to the heater core? New gas tank and lines? Engine mounts?
Thanks Mark. The list is quite long and growing by the day or even hour. But yes, with that rocker off I'll be doing the hoses to the heater core and probably the gas lines. Are the tanks know to have issues? I do plan to replace the sender unit for the fuel gauge. Some other are starter rebuild, engine/differential/trans mounts, full flush of oil system, new or reconditioned radiators, ALL new bearings and seals, new hydraulic TO bearing, water pump rebuild, new valve springs and top end rebuild including whatever parts need to be replaced, new timing chains, throttle cable, ignition cap, all new amp connectors with gold plated terminals, new cadmium plating on removed parts, all new under panels, repair and refinish frame elements, etc. There's a lot more than this. I'll post as I do things as well as the full list with parts list once completed. I think I'm up to almost 15K before machining and top end work at this point.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
that underside looks exactly like mine did, are you re-using insulation?
I'm undecided on the insulation but I'll probably replace it. I need to look back at what you used.

I know that bolt.....

how are your front pans and wheel liners? If the rockers are gone the front is too...or they have been replaced.
good work and documentation, thank you Seth
Thanks Geno. Do you mean the frunk pan? That I removed yesterday. Pics above. everything else isn't bad. Just surface rust on the underside of the frame where it makes contact with the aluminum panels. Wheel wells are good but liners have too many screw holes from carless people so I'll be fixing those and replacing all of the hardware.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very cool. I am in the process to change my firewall panel as well. I bought it new from Lamborghini, 160€. Can you explain shortly how to remove/ get it back in place? I am really scared to remove it because its quite large but i think its doable to bend it enough, to get it out?

My aluminum panel on the firewall was showing signs of abuse, likely from engine outs/installs, so I pulled it and made a replacement. I was trying to figure how the h$ll I was going to get it out being that it was much wider than the frame but once I got all the fasteners removed I realized it’s very thin and flexible so it came right out. View attachment 296515 View attachment 296516 View attachment 296517

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Very cool. I am in the process to change my firewall panel as well. I bought it new from Lamborghini, 160€. Can you explain shortly how to remove/ get it back in place? I am really scared to remove it because its quite large but i think its doable to bend it enough, to get it out?
Oh, that's actually a reasonable price. Do you have the part number? removing it is much easier than it looks. At lease if you have the engine out already. It's flexible enough to just bend in the middle as you pull it back. It is a bit tedious removing all of the parts that mount in front of it keeping it from coming out. The battery kill switch was the hardest for me because after removing the nuts on the backside it was very stuck in place. It took quite a bit of persuasion to get it out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since your engine is out , from that empty space I am wondering if you can figure out the way how to remove the fuel tank ?

381 - 400 of 427 Posts