Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,882 Posts
SPGlass, you have asked several times about how to drain the lower filters without getting gas everywhere. I just went through this on my other thread in the Diablo forum. In short, I do not know a way to replace those filters without doing it very fast and or fully draining the tank. At least in my car the fuel lines themselves are larger and very thick so installing a clamp directly onto the line to keep it from draining seemed to be a way to damage the fuel line. I don’t think there is an easy solution? That said, the fuel pumps are in this location and one wonders if you could proactively change or otherwise service them while there, and then might as well replace all the lines!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Geno, are you sure about the reset of the CEL‘s? I have had CEL’s self-reset upon driving and not after 50 key cycles. Maybe 5 key cycles. My CELs went away for
good after plugs were changed and throttle bodies cleaned, but not because of 50 cycles or resetting the computer with the OBDII. Josh at Veloce said it was a self-relearn ECU.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Great tip. Or he could move to Washington State where after January 1st smog is no longer required. 😎

Nice work on the exhaust job!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
That is excellent to know SP glass. I don’t have my problem as bad as yours yet so I may wait another year or two but great information thank you for sharing.

One other thing, don’t just pull your fuse on those seatbelts as at least on my car the fuse also controlled the cigarette lighter plug. What I did instead since I also found the automatic retractable seatbelt quite annoying was to open the motor cover on both sides of the car at the base of the seats and simply unplugged the motors. This additionally gives you the seatbelt warning lights every time you turn on the car which is nice to have those lights functioning for originality, and they go out after 10 or 15 or 20 seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
SP, I just did this exact project about six weeks ago and have copious photos and details should you want. I also had to manufacture from a lug nut wrench the steering wheel locknut socket. If you want to PM me I’m happy to walk you through any parts of that project. It is straightforward, though it is a pain. I am also happy to FedEx you that manufactured part and you can send it back when done. That part took me an hour and a half with a Dremel and magnifying glasses!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
SP, See Mikael82’s thread. He has a great write up on balancing the throttle bodies and made his own Manometer to do so. Would appreciate if you would write up a bit on how to do this task. Between your notes and Mikaels I might try it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Wow! Super helpful, thank you (and Geno and Mikael). I think I’ll tackle this over this winter since you all rave about the results. By the way, how often should this adjustment be done on a V12 Lamborghini?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
SP, what year is your car? I note you’ve got some nice paint upgrades to your valve covers and the cam covers. I also note that you have new or newer donut clamps on your exhaust, which makes me jealous.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Stating the obvious, if you are looking to go with full custom exhaust now would be the time! BTW, those donut clamps are expensive and hard to find, last I looked anyway. Don't discard them if you go custom. You refurbing the starter while in there?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Boy, I don’t see any issues there other than the little dot of dust that looks like a mini ball bearing in your photo. Unfortunately I think it may be your rings. Did you happen to notice any issues in your gasket when you disassembled?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
SP glass, in that photo you just posted on the bottom right you will see the drive axle splines. That drive shaft has bearings packs available non-OEM. I think they’re only like 20 or $30 apiece but much easier to replace when the engine is out.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I’m really disheartened to hear this because at 92,000 km I would not expect a full engine tear down much less twice. If those are aftermarket pistons this engine was already taken down previously which points to 40,000 mile pistons? Seems way too early.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
SP, this whole thread is very interesting and thank you for taking the time to post it. I don’t profess to know what happened to your car other than that looks like something failed somewhere in your oil system and particles got sucked up into your engine. Sorry you are in this position.

but as for the rocker panel and the underneath of the frame, I took some of that area off my 97 when I had a gas leak two years ago. When I drilled out the riveted bottom section I found that all of the frame had been factory coated with rubberized undercoating paint. Under that was primed/not raw metal. Sounds like your frame may not have been properly coated? I had to redo the rubberized paint in that area because of the gas leak, but had no rust thankfully. Don’t know if my comments help you at all but just wanted to pass that along. Sounds like you won’t miss a beat because you can in that condition bring it to original metal, prime, and repaint. best luck to you in your restoration.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Wow! Great job! What other “while you are in there” jobs are you planning on doing? Front heater hose to the heater core? New gas tank and lines? Engine mounts?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I’ve been in the fuel tank area a couple of times, Seth and Leslie. The sender unit on my car was working just fine and I only had 18,000 miles or so so I left it in place but I did replace the gasket. The sender unit is not a bad idea to replace at this age, however. In terms of replacing the tank, I have not heard of failures to the tank but it does look quite impossible to get out without taking the rear quarter panel off the car. All the fuel lines and high pressure hydraulic lines for the front lift are in this location as are fuel pumps and radiator tank. All of that area with the quarter panel out should be replaced as you don’t want to do it again.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
SP, im actually not sure if the tank comes out backwards through the wheel well or 90 degrees “right” through the body panel. It can’t come upward or in “left” towards the engine as frame members are there. If it comes out through the wheel well, I think the entire wheel and shock assembly would need to be removed first. Regardless, a big pain.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts