Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Ideas ,, 91 Diablo, Installed New Clutch, ( Sent Pressure Plate , Flywheel To Clutchmasters In Ca. For 2500.00 I Now Have An Excellant Clutch) Also Pulled Out Dash And Recovered It. Since Then The Car Runs Great, But When The Headlites Are Turned On The Temp Gauge Needle Raises 10 Degrees, Does Not Seem To Affect The Other Gauges. Also For The Past 4 Years The Accessory Icu Shuts Off The Wipers And The Heat-a/c Unit Some Times, Which Is Very Annoying. Comes Back On In About 1 Second Or So. Any Help Appreciated, Nuss

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi

Try going over the earthing points.. The alternater has a tiny black earth plug.. Mine came loose.. Crimp it together and clean the connection... The main battery earth strap where the starter motor earth is sand the frame where the post is and the wire terminals...

Let us all know how you get on

Carlo

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 91 temp guage does exactly the same, also there is some deviation in the reading when the cooling fans cut in and out. I've grown to accept it as normal, in fact on really close examination the oil pressure also moves a tiny bit when electrical loads are added.

I would like to hear if and how you resolve this one !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mike

I just went over the earthing points.. This fixed my problems.. I used to touch the brake pedal and my temp and battery dial would be different..

Carlo

·
Registered
278 Posts
That very useful

Sorry, I'm a thick dentist, could you list me the earthing points that solved the issue

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mike

Follow the battery earth up to the spaceframe... I took my side skirt off my car to do this as it is easier.. Im not sure you will be able to reach it underneath from the oil filter cover.. The other wire is on the back of the alternator.. The small wire with the cover on it.. Mine worked loose and was going green....

Carlo

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, I cleaned up the contacts on the back of the alternator, and also the earth point on the frame next to the oil filter.

I still have the same symptoms, ie deviation in the guages, the temp goes up 10 deg on putting on the headlights, oil pressure drops a little.

I'm wondering if there is an earth point on the frame under the dashboard somewhere, and if so does anyone know where to look ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Mike

I took the whole interior out of my car and i cant recall any earth points with the dash..

what i did to my car cured my problems when you hit the brakes the volt and coolant guages would move.. one of my friends is on a rebuild with his 91 car and he had this as well.. i will let you know once his car goes back together..

Carlo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guage problems

HELP !!!checked and cleaned all earthing points I could find, still having the same problem with the temp gauge going up 10 degrees and the oil pressure gauge going down when ever the lights or parking lights are turned on,,or when the turn sigals are used, does anyone know where the earth points are for the lighting , or have any other ideas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
a lot of early diablos had problems with the gauges acting funny and the factory fix was to find the ground wire coming off the back of the gauges, tap into it and run an additional ground to the frame behind the gauges. I did this with mine and it helped immensly
dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks dave,,, I have tried that and felt sure it would fix the problem,,, but it did not, it's got to be something simple I've over looked,,, thanks again

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good tip Dave. I've had my pod off 3-4 times lately, as I'm designing a low profile pod for early models. One final last time and will check the ground as preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Funny, I have a similar thing on my countach, when I turn on the light the water temp raises about 5 degrees and oil pressure is about 1,5 bar higher...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dave - appx where is the grounding point behind the gauges?

When you pull the dash in the Diablo (sitting in the drivers seat) there are 3 connectors. A small one on the left, a large one in the center, a small one on the right. Which one serves as a ground and is it a black wire?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
91 gauge problems

I noticed while driving tonite, that turning up the brightness on the gauge lights,worsens the problem,quite a bit, re: makes the water temp and the oil pressure needle increase. any ideas ? cross over somewhere in a harness, lights to gauges ? thanks all

·
Registered
584 Posts
Elmer - I too have a related problem, that's why I asked Dave about the location of the ground. Sometimes, if I hit a bump the dim switch changes, I reset it to HI, then later hit a bump, and it goes back to LOW...lol. I'm pulling the dash in 2 weeks and if dave does not answer I'll take a pix and post exactly where it is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
sorry guys, I had not had a chance to check this site for a few days. I am pulling my dash in the next couple of days and I will let you know the color of the wire, but all you have to do is find the negative side of the gauge (multi meter) and piggyback onto that wire--all the gauge wires come together at some point if memory serves. It is better to solder the wire and then ground the wire to the frame behind the dash. make sure you have a clean paint free contact surface
:cool:dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts