Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave:

360 prices are driving down toward $75K for no stories, lo mileage cars and most realistic 430 Owners (moi) believe that the 430 will be under $100K relatively soon.

Knowing this, would you still choose to buy a ""comparable" Lambo or move over to the Ferrari marque?

:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd stick with the lambo, I think its more performance than the comparable F car! Plus with how much exotic's have come down in price you could get one of each for what you would have paid for a new one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You don't buy a Lamborghini because it's a great car (it's not), or because it's reliable (not), easy to drive (not!), efficient (not!)....

You buy it because, deep down, like a DaVinci or Monet, the sheer artistry of it speaks to your soul...

Or, because you are a gangsta

;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd stick with the lambo, I think its more performance than the comparable F car! Plus with how much exotic's have come down in price you could get one of each for what you would have paid for a new one.
Or two of each, many Ferrari drivers, (shast I say it?) paid over MSRP. :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
a little off topic, but can Joe Schmo actually buy a Ferrari new? I heard a rumor you had to own a used one before you could be put on the waiting list for a new one?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was contimplating a pre-owned F430 vs. a Murcielago...

Then someone here commented that "Most folks buy a Ferrari to be somebody... then realize that you buy a Lamborghini when you become somebody... "

I don't want to be anybody, and have already become myself... hence, I'm goin' with a Murci :)

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
F430 vs a murci? seems like different worlds...

I just love the Lambo character, from the car, the looks, the sound, the benign handling that means you can be brutal with the car, and also the people (stereotype, but F owners tend to be more stuck up).

So my answer is definitely the Lambo. But if I have the money I wouldn't mind getting a Ferrari as well. That said, for me it would be the 355. It's just hand down my favourite Ferrari. I was a bit disappointed by the 360, I just don't think it's as good. The 430 is a great car but just seems to have lost some of the essence. I'll take the brutal Lambo and the "puritan" 355 without all the electronic doodads getting in the way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
But if I have the money I wouldn't mind getting a Ferrari as well. That said, for me it would be the 355. It's just hand down my favourite Ferrari.
Why is it that almost every Lambo owner loves the 355? I agree, it was truly the last Ferrari before they lost their way and got stupid bulges and bubbles...

They had a perfect yellow 355 in my local dealer - I was sooo tempted...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Totally agree, get the Murci and the 355 (which does look good - something about older and classic)

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Huge step forward from the 348, and the 360 was a step back. The nose and headlights are just ugh...

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,854 Posts
I parked next to a 430 yesterday and it was a black spyder just like my Lambo. Honestly people walked right past the 430 to take pics of my lambo. I love Ferarris, but side by side the 430 almost looks a bit ordinary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a little off topic, but can Joe Schmo actually buy a Ferrari new? I heard a rumor you had to own a used one before you could be put on the waiting list for a new one?
Trust me, Charlie Manson can buy a new Ferrari if he has credit or cash. :evil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I parked next to a 430 yesterday and it was a black spyder just like my Lambo. Honestly people walked right past the 430 to take pics of my lambo. I love Ferarris, but side by side the 430 almost looks a bit ordinary.
I don't usually get into discussions about colors, styles, etc as this is eye of the beholder territory. But as a former 360 owner, now a 430, I agree.

The 430 is a bit odd looking IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why is it that almost every Lambo owner loves the 355? I agree, it was truly the last Ferrari before they lost their way and got stupid bulges and bubbles...

They had a perfect yellow 355 in my local dealer - I was sooo tempted...
Wait till you get the service bill when they have to "engine out" to do damn near any kind of major service. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
The audi influence has definitely helped the running costs of these cars. How is that on the Ferrari front? Is it improving?

I was looking into a 456M which I think is just a fantastically understated and timeless design. The car I found had a small list of minor defects I insisted the dealer fix. The bill quickly grew to almost $20,000 and the dealer started insisting I could live with some of the problems. The whole experience put me off what I still think is a very special car. A car for special occasions should be about it feeling special, not about worrying about the next service.

I'm wondering if the new ferraris have improved. chains vs belt, hydraulic lifters (no more valve adjustments), etc.

Some thoughts on design. No one can say the 430 is an ugly car, in fact almost no Ferrari is ugly. There are probably more ugly Lambos. The correlation is that Lamborghini tends to really push design, whereas the F cars are more conservative, more purpose built as a car and not a work of art. All the wayward electronics aside, what really put me off the 360 was the curved up nose (how dare they try to be practical!) with the "plain" holes, as well as the headlights; they're just covers and not proper headlight housings (you can see the body color through them) like the 430's. The one thing I find particular about the 430 is how big the front arches are.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Depends on the model. I have a friend who owned (at the time which I am describing) TWO 1990 Testarossas, TWO 328GTSs, a Mondial convertible, a 288 GTO, a 512BBi, and an F40. Yes, really, at one time. He has owned F cars for over 30 years. Ferrari did not put him on the list for the F50, which he requested. One of the stipulations was that you couldn't resell the car within a year, or something like that, and he would not. He wasn't terribly upset, thought he'd wait for a used one. By the time they got to a price point he liked, it was time for the Enzo. He got on that list, and got the car. Anybody with the means can get all of the other cars, just not stuff like the F50, Enzo, FXX.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
F40, impressive. The F50 was a bit of a dog anyway. Good for him!

Why have TWO of the same cars though? Give me one!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Why have TWO of the same cars though? Give me one!
The duplicates are for a second home. Those at one locale are red. At the other, black. Sadly, the rest virtually never get driven. Red TR has, last I knew, 32 miles on it. Fortunately, he does have them all run regularly so they don't dry out / rust out internally. One hell of a maintenance bill for not getting them on the road. :(

IMO, the most impressive car in person is the Boxer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Audi influence has definitely helped the running costs of these cars. How is that on the Ferrari front? Is it improving?
Sorta. The 430 sold very few manual trannies and came with chains instead of belts (360); the service intervals are the same 7500, 15K, etc). The 360 and the 430 have proven to be capable DD. Better than when I had to ship my Dino 600 miles to New Orleans for a tuneup :eek: Belt service is $1500 or so and there are more independent shops and 3rd party parts.

The flip side is there is more things to break with all the fancy-schmancies electronics and options but that is true of most any car.

I was looking into a 456M which I think is just a fantastically understated and timeless design. The car I found had a small list of minor defects I insisted the dealer fix. The bill quickly grew to almost $20,000 and the dealer started insisting I could live with some of the problems. The whole experience put me off what I still think is a very special car. A car for special occasions should be about it feeling special, not about worrying about the next service.
$20K worth of minor problems? :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts