Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 2021 EVO RWD and 1 2020 EVO AWD. Both 2021's will only hit about 4000rpm in park/neutral. The 2020 will rev as normal. My dealer has no idea, and the tech said he guesses Lamborghini changed it for 2021 to protect the engine.
Does anyone have experience/information about this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have 2 2021 EVO RWD and 1 2020 EVO AWD. Both 2021's will only hit about 4000rpm in park/neutral. The 2020 will rev as normal. My dealer has no idea, and the tech said he guesses Lamborghini changed it for 2021 to protect the engine.
Does anyone have experience/information about this?

Same thing with my 2021 RWD. Mine goes to about 3000 rpm and then shuts down, like it hit a rev limiter.
Spoke to Lambo tech and he said too many people where reving the hell out of the engines and causing problems. So they limited the neutral rpm's.
Don't know if it will get better after 1000 miles. But the funny thing is when driving and then rolling in neutral I can rev as high as I want..
I know you can program it out with a tune...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is this the case both with cold and warm engine?

and is the idicator red starting at 3000/4000 rpm showing it is not possible?

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
I never was all that enamored of revving while in neutral........I guess to me it seems somewhat pointless but having said that my next outing I will give it a go. Its been raining here the past couple of days so the EVO is napping.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,506 Posts
I never was all that enamored of revving while in neutral........I guess to me it seems somewhat pointless but having said that my next outing I will give it a go. Its been raining here the past couple of days so the EVO is napping.
Yes I completely agree, free revs are not only annoying but cannot be good for the car. I hear some guys reving the heck out their cars and after a couple of nice crisp revs it sounds ridiculous and showy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same thing with my 2021 RWD. Mine goes to about 3000 rpm and then shuts down, like it hit a rev limiter.
Spoke to Lambo tech and he said too many people where reving the hell out of the engines and causing problems. So they limited the neutral rpm's.
Don't know if it will get better after 1000 miles. But the funny thing is when driving and then rolling in neutral I can rev as high as I want..
I know you can program it out with a tune...
Mine shuts down around 3000 too. Tech told me the same thing that they changed this for 2021 and yes if you are rolling then there is no limiter. I'm at about 900 miles now so I will update if there is any change at 1000...

Is this the case both with cold and warm engine?

and is the idicator red starting at 3000/4000 rpm showing it is not possible?
This is the case with a warm engine on both 2021s.

Same for me, but there will be a time I wish it wasn't limited.

Yes I completely agree, free revs are not only annoying but cannot be good for the car. I hear some guys reving the heck out their cars and after a couple of nice crisp revs it sounds ridiculous and showy.
Some people take it way too far.
I was just confused because I couldn't find any information on this for the 2021s and then went to our 2020 evo and it revs like normal.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Absolutely, but then again, driving at triple digit speeds with my hair on fire on those Texas backroads is an absolute blast.

·
Premium Member
17,506 Posts
Absolutely, but then again, driving at triple digit speeds with my hair on fire on those Texas backroads is an absolute blast.
Yes, but that has a purpose! Sitting in a parking lot reving the crap out of your engine is a turn off to almost everyone close by and yet the guy behind the wheel is oblivious to those he is offending.
I am sure you have seen the video of the idiot reving his Aventador to the point where it caught on fire. Not too many people felt bad for him.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
Yes, but that has a purpose! Sitting in a parking lot reving the crap out of your engine is a turn off to almost everyone close by and yet the guy behind the wheel is oblivious to those he is offending.
I am sure you have seen the video of the idiot reving his Aventador to the point where it caught on fire. Not too many people felt bad for him.
Yes, I did and although I felt he got what he deserved I still felt sorry for the dude. There is no way in hell I would treat a fine machine like our Lamborghinis' with such extreme abuse.

Reactions: Russk

·
Premium Member
17,506 Posts
Does that mean it goes away once you hit 1000 miles? And if you’re rolling and put it into neutral there is no limiter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does that mean it goes away once you hit 1000 miles? And if you’re rolling and put it into neutral there is no limiter?
We don’t know if it allows after 1000mi. They are checking with Lambo and get back go me. Not sure about rolling in N. I’ll try this week. Evo is back at the place doing the PPF - had to redo a panel and the diffuser .Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
17,506 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
226 Posts
To be honest, I doubt it has to do with the amount of people doing neutral revs -- though I have to agree it's not to my taste either. It just seems weird for this limit to be in place only now if that's the reason, yeah? And I bet the tech was just making their best guess. Afterall, it wasn't added back when Aventadors were being burned from overrevving.

I'm more convinced it has to do with tightening, emissions yet again. What more can they do to an NA ICE that they haven't already? Because of how I've seen it implemented elsewhere, I'm thinking it will stick with the car and not just be a break-in thing. If it's like those other implementations, you can at least still redline in neutral if the wheels are moving.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,600 Posts
As to the practice of revving in park/neutral is that it limits engine ability to cool and it can quickly be damaging so why do it? If we are driving and leaning on the throttle then we have sufficient air cooling to help offset the heat but to rev at all when standing still is just counterintuitive and causes premature engine wear.
Why I don't recommend the practice:
1. decreased cooling of radiator coolant with less air flow
2. the various air vents designed to cool the EVO are not of much use without forward movement
3. the increased temperatures when revving while in park/neutral increases the rate of wear of the engine components. So the odometer mileage will belie the true engine "age"

Having said all that it's your car but is it? These cars get traded frequently and then it potentially becomes the next persons problem. I believe the cars need to be enjoyed but treated well as long as we own them. That is why I always adhere to the break-in recommendations and also prefer not to launch the cars, though, mostly because it seems silly to me. Now if we want to drive these cars in a spirited fashion then by all means have at it but this is just one mans take. FWIW.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts