Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I fulfilled an ambition I had from the moment I bought my Murcielago. The goal was to complete a Cannonball Run which (for those that don’t know) is a drive from the Red Ball Garage in New York City to the Portofino Inn at the Redondo Beach Pier in California. In a true Cannonball Run you are racing for the fastest time and in my case it was to be a pleasure drive so (out of respect for the record holders and challengers) I prefer to call it the ‘Cannonball Fun’.

Something always got in the way cancelling the trip but last Tuesday I made the drive from Toronto to New York (already a good trip approaching 1000km) to start the official journey. It was my first time in New York and the Murci is not exactly the right car for the city. As such we got out quick and started making our way to Indianapolis to visit the Speedway.

The central part of the US was a bit of a flat blur with the real excitement coming with a visit to Pikes Peak to climb the famous road to the clouds. By this stage the car was getting good and dirty with plenty of brake dust and dead bugs on the nose. After the peak it was through the ski towns of Colorado into Utah and eventually Nevada. These are great roads for high speed runs with very clear sight lines and long straight pieces of asphalt. Two radar detectors and Waze kept us safe with no tickets along the way. That said most driving was done at the speed of traffic which gave us a good feel for the highway fuel economy of the car.

The last stretch took us through Las Vegas where we drove the strip and then into California straight to Redondo Beach and the Portofino. It was a beautiful day and we arrived about an hour before sunset. It was an awesome adventure made better by my wife who was a first rate co-pilot. To make things better she is 4 and half months pregnant expecting our first child making this a journey of 3!

Here are some photos of the trip together with a breakdown of the fuel consumption and costs along the way. Total trip from Toronto was 5 days. The car ran perfect the whole way and did not consume any oil. A/C blew nice and cold and despite a few sections with rain, the car did not get a mark on it (although it needed a good wash afterwards).

The real lesson here is GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!! Forget about the mileage and enjoy one of the greatest normally aspirated 12 cylinder engines ever made.

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Car

Plant Building Vehicle Sky Tire

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Cloud Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Mirror

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Toy Liver

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Car

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is awesome! Great idea that must have been extremely fun. Do you have full PPF? PM me if you are still in California.

·
Registered
SL #7007
443 Posts
Dude that’s awesome and congrats on the soon to be coming!! If your still in CA let us know…. Im sure some us would meet up and grab some lunch or something…

·
Registered
248 Posts
Last week I fulfilled an ambition I had from the moment I bought my Murcielago. The goal was to complete a Cannonball Run which (for those that don’t know) is a drive from the Red Ball Garage in New York City to the Portofino Inn at the Redondo Beach Pier in California. In a true Cannonball Run you are racing for the fastest time and in my case it was to be a pleasure drive so (out of respect for the record holders and challengers) I prefer to call it the ‘Cannonball Fun’.

Something always got in the way cancelling the trip but last Tuesday I made the drive from Toronto to New York (already a good trip approaching 1000km) to start the official journey. It was my first time in New York and the Murci is not exactly the right car for the city. As such we got out quick and started making our way to Indianapolis to visit the Speedway.

The central part of the US was a bit of a flat blur with the real excitement coming with a visit to Pikes Peak to climb the famous road to the clouds. By this stage the car was getting good and dirty with plenty of brake dust and dead bugs on the nose. After the peak it was through the ski towns of Colorado into Utah and eventually Nevada. These are great roads for high speed runs with very clear sight lines and long straight pieces of asphalt. Two radar detectors and Waze kept us safe with no tickets along the way. That said most driving was done at the speed of traffic which gave us a good feel for the highway fuel economy of the car.

The last stretch took us through Las Vegas where we drove the strip and then into California straight to Redondo Beach and the Portofino. It was a beautiful day and we arrived about an hour before sunset. It was an awesome adventure made better by my wife who was a first rate co-pilot. To make things better she is 4 and half months pregnant expecting our first child making this a journey of 3!

Here are some photos of the trip together with a breakdown of the fuel consumption and costs along the way. Total trip from Toronto was 5 days. The car ran perfect the whole way and did not consume any oil. A/C blew nice and cold and despite a few sections with rain, the car did not get a mark on it (although it needed a good wash afterwards).

The real lesson here is GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!! Forget about the mileage and enjoy one of the greatest normally aspirated 12 cylinder engines ever made.

View attachment 300674

View attachment 300675

View attachment 300676

View attachment 300677

View attachment 300678

View attachment 300679

View attachment 300680

View attachment 300681

View attachment 300682

View attachment 300683
How did you get into the USA with a car? I want to visit some friends in the USA, but I want to drive, not fly.

How did you get in?

·
Registered
20 Giallo Auge Urus | 2021 Verde Scandal SVJ | 2021 STO Arancio Atlas/Verde Mantis
332 Posts
Congratulations on accomplishing this. Huge props to you and your wife in doing this road trip in the Murcielago. I Would love to do this one day. Definitely set the standards high and very inspiring. All the best to your first child. Cheers 🍻

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Reminds me of my “cannonball” drive
I had my black Countach trucked to evans in Columbus Ohio, then I flew out and drive it back to Arizona via that very flat Midwest drive and going through Cheyenne Wyoming and park city Utah.
Ahhhh the Memories
These are the moments created and cherished make the reason to own these cars awesome

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congratulations on this awesome accomplishment, especially with your beautiful wife being pregnant. Your statement about getting out and driving is absolutely correct and I have to remind myself of that often. These are the memories you and your wife will cherish.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Love this! Congrats on the little one on the way!!!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
are we kidding ourselves?
Murcielagos simply don't drive across the border, they fly. And the travel ban is for non flying

·
Registered
SL #7007
443 Posts
Again, how does one drive across the border? I know we can FLY, but, driving? What magic occurred?
Not sure about Canada into US but my wife and I drove from Seattle to Vancouver. Then caught a ferry to Victoria. Stayed there for a week then drove back after the ferry ride to Vancouver back to Seattle then a flight back home to Los Angeles. Is it different the other way around?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a legitimate business reason to cross the border and had a meeting before starting the adventure. AFAIK the border is still closed to vacationing traffic. The border crossing guard did not raise an eyebrow to the car I was in and could care less. I did however have all of my business papers in order which were essential to entrance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts