Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I’m excited to join the bull club again (had a huracan before, then went to a 458 - forgive me!) and now want the Aventador. I’m still young and dumb and want the S, but I can’t justify the market prices. I found this 2012 Aventador.
I love the orange and I love the glass rear! Can you guys give me your feedback in what you think of it overall and in comparison to the S...
Reading on the clutch is a 40-50%.

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Hi Martyn. Welcome back!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks so beautiful. I think Lamborghini hit it out of the park from the get go with this car. On the outside anyway -- it's always mentioned that 2012 and 2013 are troublesome years for the Aventador internally, thankfully the price seems adjusted accordingly. If you will not keep for too long, I say to have a full PPI done and go for it if everything is well enough. Clutch life is getting low, but shouldn't be an issue unless you expect plenty of stop and go in the future.

Comparing to the S might not be fair, as it gives so many creature comfort upgrades over the standard Aventador, rear-wheel steering being one of the biggest. But it's also practically double the price this is going for, and not much lower for pre-owned examples.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
126 Posts
With the higher mileage, I would assume that most of the mechanical issues have been sorted out. Just budget for a new clutch in a few years if you do buy it. Great color!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Aventador prices are just a little high right now. That 2012 should be closer to ~$230-220k.

You will have a hard time moving it if you ever decide to.

But then again, economics and Lambo’s don’t mix. Buy it, enjoy it and it’s only money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Martyn. Welcome back!
thank you! Happy to be back.

Looks so beautiful. I think Lamborghini hit it out of the park from the get go with this car. On the outside anyway -- it's always mentioned that 2012 and 2013 are troublesome years for the Aventador internally, thankfully the price seems adjusted accordingly. If you will not keep for too long, I say to have a full PPI done and go for it if everything is well enough. Clutch life is getting low, but shouldn't be an issue unless you expect plenty of stop and go in the future.

Comparing to the S might not be fair, as it gives so many creature comfort upgrades over the standard Aventador, rear-wheel steering being one of the biggest. But it's also practically double the price this is going for, and not much lower for pre-owned examples.
Thank you! Given the current market, would you suggest to just go with an S?

With the higher mileage, I would assume that most of the mechanical issues have been sorted out. Just budget for a new clutch in a few years if you do buy it. Great color!
My thoughts exactly... and yes I agree, very excited!

Aventador prices are just a little high right now. That 2012 should be closer to ~$230-220k.

You will have a hard time moving it if you ever decide to.

But then again, economics and Lambo’s don’t mix. Buy it, enjoy it and it’s only money.
I’m in real estate, so the story is very similar, but at least those are investments. And I’m ok with the price I think, somewhat justifiable. It would be worse to go 6 figures down quick on an S which is mainly why I think going with this one is smarter...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is an average cost for the clutch replacement?

·
Registered
256 Posts
What is an average cost for the clutch replacement?
rebuilt kevlar clutch similar to what the gallardo owners do is around 3000. labor depending where you go, dealers i think are around 10k and private expect to pay half that.it does require a lamborghini tool to do the clutch relearn and bleed process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rebuilt kevlar clutch similar to what the gallardo owners do is around 3000. labor depending where you go, dealers i think are around 10k and private expect to pay half that.it does require a lamborghini tool to do the clutch relearn and bleed process.
thank you for the info, within expected $$. Is this with all Aventadors is just the LP 700? As in did they update the clutch in the newer trims?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thank you! Given the current market, would you suggest to just go with an S?
I want to say no.. There are a few S models I found that are only ~$300k, making it a $50k jump from this LP700, but most sit closer to $400k.

If you can find a good and inexpensive enough example, and plan to keep for a while, I vote the S. Otherwise, this LP700 is a nice find if there are little to no issues.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
126 Posts
The S is probably the best driving AV there is, I found it worth the premium but others may not. This market is crazy, no idea how long prices will be high for. Possibly another year. You might wait that long and prices don't drop, so get what you want now and don't look back. Drive both models if you can, and watch some of the YouTubers videos, that's what I did. I love the 4 wheel steering, Ego mode, CarPlay, the updated interior and exterior, etc.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Such a dilemma. If I am to purchase a higher mile Lambo, I would dig pretty deep into the seller and car history. In this market, $250 k seems on the low side, but personally I'd try to shoot for at least a 2014. 2014 Roadster Not your color preference, but inventory is so low. An S would be an huge upgrade. Personally I am not a fan of the hammerhead shark teeth. All depends where the budget falls and how patient you can be.

1620664959183.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang I guess I’m not there yet haha or may not be too educated or familiar with the Aventador, but I can’t justify the price increase for virtually the same model. Going from Huracan to Aventador, yes. When I traded in my G550 for G63, it was $30k difference. But here... idk. That’s just me. I mean if it was a whole new Aventador replacement model, that would make sense.

Definitely don’t want to pay $300k for the regular, non-S.

I don’t really care for the little things like CarPlay and the interior and exterior differences are nice, but again, can’t really justify them as the S comes with a $150k+ increase. This would be just a fun summer car. I’m in New England so the days of enjoyment are limited.

I do appreciate all the honest feedback!No harsh “NO!”’s definitely reassured me and I prefer the coupe glass rear vs the roadster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The S is not even close to the same car as far as driving goes. Drive one and you will understand why people pay a premium for it. Handles so much better, shifts are smoother, so much more fun to drive. The outside appearance is also updated/more aggressive aero.

Reactions: BRU

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
The 2012 is one that sacrifices some comforts compared to other years. The Suspension is definitely stiffer and if you have a bad back it is something to stay away from.

Make sure the 2012 has all the recalls and upgrades even the optional campaign ones so that the car is worry free. In addition to this I would also recommend a change / update of the Transmission Control Module so that you can have the software updates and a much smoother shifting ability.

I have a 2012 in the fleet. Has been a pleasure so far! Required many workshop spa days but I would not have it any other way.

Have you tried the Carbon Fiber rear vents? Definitely very satisfied with this Accessori Originali option on mine. Perhaps something to consider post purchase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to pop in and say how much I love this bull! Having owned a Rolls-Royce Ghost, Bentley GTC, Lamborghini Huracan and a Ferrari 458 as far as exotics go, this is by far the most fun to drive. Yes, the shifting is obnoxious given the single-clutch and it drives as stiff as it gets, i always look forward to hopping in. Stepping from a large ‘21 Escalade or my ‘20 G63, this is the perfect rocket to pump some adrenaline or enjoy the back roads in. Still getting used to the attention (I thought the red Ferrari was crazy) but I guess I can live with it! 😏

·
Registered
469 Posts
To me if it's "I can happily afford the 2012 one in that lovely orange color" to "I'll wait a while and maybe I can get into (any color) S" then I reckon you get the 2012 to enjoy now + with electrification and the abolition of a "pure" V12 are you REALLY sure they will go down THAT much in this crazy economic World.

I know that I'm in Australia but since buying my AV in November - there has only been one (yep one) that I would have looked at had I not bought the one I bought. I know the market is much larger over there but how long would you have to wait for the right one AT A REDUCED (S) PRICE?

Just my 2 cents worth............

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just wanted to pop in and say how much I love this bull! Having owned a Rolls-Royce Ghost, Bentley GTC, Lamborghini Huracan and a Ferrari 458 as far as exotics go, this is by far the most fun to drive. Yes, the shifting is obnoxious given the single-clutch and it drives as stiff as it gets, i always look forward to hopping in. Stepping from a large ‘21 Escalade or my ‘20 G63, this is the perfect rocket to pump some adrenaline or enjoy the back roads in. Still getting used to the attention (I thought the red Ferrari was crazy) but I guess I can live with it!
View attachment 297435
Great color choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts