Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I am experiencing a oil leak above my lower main pulley on my v-10. It is leaking when I start the car and stops/slows when I turn ignition off. On the top of the motor between the firewall there is no sign of oil from above. I have access to a lift but from below I cannot pinpoint the leak. Facing towards the back of the car looking up between the firewall and the motor the oil runs down the right side of the pulley more than the left. I am technically proficient but no mechanic, however I feel as though if I know what I'm hunting I could solve this problem. Any help would be great, Thanks Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a real car I'm pretty sure. May start taking the fuel injection system down to see whats up. I have been reading a little about it seems as though there is a oil return line somewhere in the vicinity. Camera would be great may get on ebay manana.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From where you're describing it, it sounds like one of the fairly common issues on the Gallardo for an oil leak. There is a small O-ring that feed the oil from the return pipe that tend to get old and squished over time. The leak occurs between the firewall and the engine block. It would make sense that it happens more when the car is on as well, because that's when the oil is cycling through the pipe. I made a post about my experience fixing another issue, but replaced this little $3.00 O-ring while I was in there for preventative maintenance.

It might be a good idea to shine a flashlight into the V of the engine to see if you see any oil pooling in the back areas. Might be hard to see.

Link to the fix
DIY - Oil Filter Body Gasket & Oil Pipe O-Ring...

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Computer hardware Engineering Electronic component

·
Registered
76 Posts
From where you're describing it, it sounds like one of the fairly common issues on the Gallardo for an oil leak. There is a small O-ring that feed the oil from the return pipe that tend to get old and squished over time. The leak occurs between the firewall and the engine block. It would make sense that it happens more when the car is on as well, because that's when the oil is cycling through the pipe. I made a post about my experience fixing another issue, but replaced this little $3.00 O-ring while I was in there for preventative maintenance.

It might be a good idea to shine a flashlight into the V of the engine to see if you see any oil pooling in the back areas. Might be hard to see.

Link to the fix
DIY - Oil Filter Body Gasket & Oil Pipe O-Ring...

View attachment 302184
This doesn't look like the 5.2L the OP will have in his LP.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This doesn't look like the 5.2L the OP will have in his LP.

Great point. I jumped ahead of myself thinking they were the same as my Pre-LP 5.0. I can't speak for the LP 5.2 setup. I know that the oil filter/pipe does differ in that car. However, it still sounds like a similar issue to what a lot of us Pre-LP owners experience and it drips right down on top of that pully/between the firewall and block. Just something to look into. I'm sure it's a bit more difficult to see on the OP's car since it's a spyder as well.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,490 Posts
Robb, welcome to the forum. May I suggest you start by telling us a bit about who you are, the story of the car you bought, it’s specs, and photos that are your car up close? Would be good to show us the photos of the drip and where exactly it is coming from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, I am a commercial landlord in Atlanta. I own a small movie studio in town. 3 kiddos, 1 wife, vacation in Maine (to get the hell out of Atlanta). I will take some pictures, dont really have any of me and my precious.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,490 Posts
Robb, sorry, I was not trying to pry in your personal life but more interested in your taste in vehicles and background in exotics! Is this your first exotic, is this your first Lamborghini, have you done this type of maintenance on these cars before, did you get a PPI, that sort of thing. I am also in commercial real estate with three kids etc. but you were asking about specific oil leak in your LP Gallardo. If you would give us a little more background and perhaps what you’ve done to the car so far, some up close photos and any issues you found in your PPI those would all help this forum to identify your issue.

Also, make great use of the search feature on this forum as you will find many topics covered already including how to get to that particular oil pipe O-ring on the pre-LP design. Yours being an LP search and see if there are seals in that area that routinely fail. The search feature can save you thousands of dollars in mechanics bills. Good luck and welcome again.

back to your original post, endoscopes are somewhat inexpensive now for very high quality. I have one that I use on my cars because invariably getting into the tight spaces is difficult. Find them online for $100-$300 range. Get one that switches 90° on the push of a button. Also cheap extension magnets and extension mirrors the 1-2 inch type will be very helpful for you. Also, go back to the landing page for the Gallardo forum. At the very top you will find what is called a sticky page and in that thread are specific tools that everyone needs for this particular car. Yours being a spider like mine you need multiple size and types of bits just to get the Spyder tub off of the top of the engine so that sticky contains excellent information for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clyde, I appreciate the response. I am relatively proficient regarding autos. During high school I worked in Roswell Georgia for a Euro Car Importer (Euro Car). My job began as a detail kid, I was 16, but progressed to belts, cv's, ac units etc. Was a great job and wsa able to save enough $ to buy a 1974 911s (my first real car).
Regarding the Gallardo, was kinda a impulse buy, it was just such a beautiful car that I had to travel to Chicago and pick it up. I have worked on many Ferraris and Porsches and my Lotus Exige throughout the years but my Lamborghini is my first. I absolutely love this car. Fast, fun and easy to drive.
I have a lift in our garage so this really helps with access. I have removed the tub(s) off already and the car has been in the air for a week now. From the top or the bottom the leak is impossible to see, I have been trying my best. Amazon says cam will be here tomorrow ..so I lay in wait.
Pretty cool you are a comm. landlord also, I have about 250k sq feet all in the metro area. I am in the process of selling several properties right now to spend more time with kids and a possible move to our home on the coast of Maine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts