Lamborghini Talk banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Opinion vary.
"We can expect these trends to continue for the foreseeable future, as even after the pandemic has passed, used car prices are likely to continue rising. This should happen relatively slowly, however, and last for a moderate period of time. The current pandemic-related spike is just an anomaly. Regardless, the advanced technology features, increased production costs, and pandemic-related inventory issues should keep the prices of used cars at a modest ascension for years to come."

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,978 Posts
Agree, I don't have a crystal ball but I believe this present market is not sustainable and unless your doctor has given you less than 6 months to live ;) I would wait.
Yes if you can wait a year I am quite certain prices will have come back to earth. I guess it just depends how bad you want to get the car. I would invest the money and wait and by the time prices are back to normal you would be able to pick up a much newer car. The worst time to buy anything is when you feel that you just gotta have it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes if you can wait a year I am quite certain prices will have come back to earth. I guess it just depends how bad you want to get the car. I would invest the money and wait and by the time prices are back to normal you would be able to pick up a much newer car. The worst time to buy anything is when you feel that you just gotta have it.
I agree. I thought prices might soften by summer/September but doesn't seem like any slowdown. If I was sure Huracans would come down to $200k Canadian level by Summer 2022, I would wait and save for that, but no one has any idea what could happen

·
Registered
2009 LP560-4
136 Posts
I don’t agree at all. Not worth trying to play the market, if you want a car go for it now. Additionally, I think the market might settle a little but won’t go back to where it was before for a while. Without a large economic influence (aka whole economy drops) these cars are staying expensive. High inflation won’t help anything. 5% inflation on a $100k car that isn’t depreciating still raises the cost to $105k.

·
Registered
2009 LP560-4
136 Posts
You’re looking at August motors ex-DDE/Steve Cusson LP-560 in that sand wrap? DDE put a lot of money into it, but Steve did rat bag it pretty good with launches and stuff it seems; great car though regardless, I’d buy it right now if I was in the market. Probably another 2-3 years!

Also I recommend just doing Oil changes/spark plugs yourself, there is a service manual posted here that shows you how to do everything, it is not difficult.
If you are looking at the dde/steve car I would 100% pass. I’d personally want a car that wasn’t beat on for other peoples entertainment but cruised to cars and coffee. I would expect some unexpected maintenance with that car. Otherwise LP560-4 are fairly reliable. Not 100% but not bad for a supercar! If you want a Lambo wait for the Lambo, don’t settle for a R8 but the dct is significantly more reliable than the egear.

Reactions: NH_to_CA

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
11,086 Posts
Yep.....one should sell into inflation. Anybody want to buy a new EVO RWD with delivery miles? :giggle:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you are looking at the dde/steve car I would 100% pass. I’d personally want a car that wasn’t beat on for other peoples entertainment but cruised to cars and coffee. I would expect some unexpected maintenance with that car. Otherwise LP560-4 are fairly reliable. Not 100% but not bad for a supercar! If you want a Lambo wait for the Lambo, don’t settle for a R8 but the dct is significantly more reliable than the egear.
Did not know who ddd/steve were. Just watched their videos for the last 15 mins. I guess makes sense why the price for the car is a bit cheaper. A newer 2013 was listed for $190k and it sold as well with 30k Kms on it

now I’m not sure if it’s worth saving $40k for a car with 50k kms and possible rough past. Dang

The other argument is if it was driven then it probably has any problems worked out compared to a similar one that’s sat in a garage for 10 years

·
Registered
179 Posts
The thing about the luxury item market is, it doesn't quite follow conventional rules. Economists predicted a sell-off in luxury/superfluous goods when the pandemic started, and yet just about every luxury sector has seen unprecedented demand. Those who bought an LP560 at current prices won't sell off at a gigantic loss next year. Those who have seen prices go up now won't sell at pre-pandemic prices next year either. Bar an economic catastrophe post-pandemic, there ought to be no price "crash". If prices now have gone back to where they were 5 years ago (and the pandemic started 2 years ago), then it will take another 3 years for prices to naturally fall to pre-pandemic levels. That's my prediction.

Whether you want to buy now or wait a few more years is your call. You are not immune to the phenomenon behind the price rise. Think about it. Why are you wanting to buy now? If you are buying because you made money, or saved money due to lack of holidaying, or are bored due to the pandemic restrictions, then you exactly illustrate why prices have naturally gone up during the pandemic. Lots of other buyers are in your mindset.

In terms of reliability, the R8 is better tech and newer generation car in general compared to an LP. But did you always want an Audi growing up? Or is Lambo the dream? If you want reliability, you should buy Toyota/Lexus, right? If you want outright speed and tech, you should buy a Tesla, right?

Nobody buys a Lambo for its merits of sensibility. It's precisely because the car is not sensible, not reliable, that's why it hasn't been bought en mass and flooded our senses. And that's why it's still a rare sight and still lusted after.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I tell everyone this… “the worst time to do anything, is when you have to, the best time to do something is when you want to”

in business and life, you will hold all the cards if you follow this advice.

·
Registered
2010 Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder Caelum Blu
126 Posts
Had the same thoughts you’re struggeling with right now. And last year I just bought myself that 50k km’s LP as well. I didn’t regret that for a second, although I drive my cars just very little and so the milage will stay reasonable. Just hit that button and make that dream come true! Every second you own a machine like that makes you’ll enjoy that decision more than you’ll lose a buck on it! Life’s too short not to!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Had the same thoughts you’re struggeling with right now. And last year I just bought myself that 50k km’s LP as well. I didn’t regret that for a second, although I drive my cars just very little and so the milage will stay reasonable. Just hit that button and make that dream come true! Every second you own a machine like that makes you’ll enjoy that decision more than you’ll lose a buck on it! Life’s too short not to!
Do you recommend looking for anything in particular? My main concern has been the clutch, brakes, tires, spark plugs and fuel pump. Not sure if Im missing something that could cost me a lot in the near future. Have had a Porsche before so im not sure how the transition to an Italian sports car will be.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I actually bought my LP at a recommended supercar dealer (McLaren, Maserati, Lamborghini etc.) and got warranty with it for a year, so I did the buy with a bit of good hope and faith. (Yep… I know.. 😅) The dealer checked the clutch however and they had allready the car in maintainance. As the only dealer in Western Europe with a official Lamborghini certified workshop chef I trusted them not scewing up…. When I’m in the market for a second Lambo from somewhere else, I will get a PPI from this shop. Get a PPI at a recommended shop. Gives you good info of the car… Good luck! 😃

·
Registered
126 Posts
Indeed, being a Porsche man as well… those cars are more easy on the budget when things go wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, long time lurker. Finally in the position to purchase a Lamborghini.

A 2009 LP560 has come up with 50,000 kms ( 31,000 miles). It has 90% clutch life on it, brakes/tires are in good shape and it has one insurance claim for $4000.

I've been researching a bit and my biggest concern is getting hit with a $30k bill if something breaks down. I've called my local dealer and the oil changes seem reasonable (about $1k for a oil/filter change, $5k for a major service including spark plugs etc). My 6 year old Cayenne had to have a transfer case changed and it cost $8k (fortunately under service) so im worried about something similar happening.

Do any current or former owners have any advice? My other option was to get a 2017 R8 as it would have lower mileage and newer but there's just something about a Lamborghini that excites me a lot more, even though its a 12 year old car.

Should I be worried about the age / mileage? Anything I can do to protect myself ? My goal was to get a Huracan but those have gone up in value by about 25% in the last year and a bit out of my budget unfortunately.
Hey, I was in the same position as you up until Friday past, I just purchased a 2011 Spyder 560-4
Personally for me, I done a lot of research and decided i wanted to go for a 2010 onwards, as they look better with the changes to the nose & rear lights etc. Most of them also come with the front nose lift & reversing camera.

Im 29 in a couple of days, like yourself I like the r8's, but for me, a Lamborghini is just a total different experience. Ive done 1k miles over the past 3 days, and every mile has been amazing, you get thumbs up, lots of pictures & attention, its just an amazing feeling. The r8's are still minted cars, but when someone asks what do you drive? and your answer is.. a Lamborghini, its just crazy!

Like anything mechanical, things can go wrong, even newer cars. I'm not saying spend all your money, but if you have money kept away (just incase), then why worry about something that might never happen? If it does, deal with it at the time. Most of the depreciation has already been done on these cars, so you wont loss as much as you would on an r8 i would say?

Hope you get one, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought my 09 LP about two months ago and i've put just over 1,000 miles on it. It's been problem free, absolutely no issues whatsoever. The oil/filter change only cost me like $320. 10 quarts of oil (Castrol 5w30 European Formula SYN VW504 as recommended in the LP workshop manual), OEM Audi/Volkswagen filter, 7 drain plugs, crush washers, and tons of under panel tray bolts.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Let’s not rule out a well-cared for late pre-LP (2007-2008). The sound they make is worth it all by itself.

Reactions: SpiderBull16

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys, long time lurker. Finally in the position to purchase a Lamborghini.

A 2009 LP560 has come up with 50,000 kms ( 31,000 miles). It has 90% clutch life on it, brakes/tires are in good shape and it has one insurance claim for $4000.

I've been researching a bit and my biggest concern is getting hit with a $30k bill if something breaks down. I've called my local dealer and the oil changes seem reasonable (about $1k for a oil/filter change, $5k for a major service including spark plugs etc). My 6 year old Cayenne had to have a transfer case changed and it cost $8k (fortunately under service) so im worried about something similar happening.

Do any current or former owners have any advice? My other option was to get a 2017 R8 as it would have lower mileage and newer but there's just something about a Lamborghini that excites me a lot more, even though its a 12 year old car.

Should I be worried about the age / mileage? Anything I can do to protect myself ? My goal was to get a Huracan but those have gone up in value by about 25% in the last year and a bit out of my budget unfortunately.
I am super biased having owned two generations of R8, very hard to beat for the money if it will create anxiety over big repair on Lambo IMO.

That said completely agree, for almost same $ I sold last R8 bought a murcielago (from lambo dealer w 3rd party PPI), it is older and less reliable & convenient, but I am way more excited about it!!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,978 Posts
The R8s are great cars and a bargain for what you get. I almost bought one when I first started looking for a lambo. The Murcie is on another level.

Reactions: AngelOfMurci
21 - 40 of 48 Posts