Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, long time lurker. Finally in the position to purchase a Lamborghini.

A 2009 LP560 has come up with 50,000 kms ( 31,000 miles). It has 90% clutch life on it, brakes/tires are in good shape and it has one insurance claim for $4000.

I've been researching a bit and my biggest concern is getting hit with a $30k bill if something breaks down. I've called my local dealer and the oil changes seem reasonable (about $1k for a oil/filter change, $5k for a major service including spark plugs etc). My 6 year old Cayenne had to have a transfer case changed and it cost $8k (fortunately under service) so im worried about something similar happening.

Do any current or former owners have any advice? My other option was to get a 2017 R8 as it would have lower mileage and newer but there's just something about a Lamborghini that excites me a lot more, even though its a 12 year old car.

Should I be worried about the age / mileage? Anything I can do to protect myself ? My goal was to get a Huracan but those have gone up in value by about 25% in the last year and a bit out of my budget unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,839 Posts
It sounds like a good car. 2009 was greatly improved over previous years, you should be fine, however a PPI or getting a clean bill of health from your own mechanic is always a good idea.
if you go with an R8, you’ll always wish it was a Lambo. Care to share the asking price? BTW Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Gallardo are pretty reliable, especially LP (2009+).

I used to own a 2011 Cayenne Turbo. From my personal experience, the Cayenne have more known issues (transfer case, some bolts they use in the engine, coolant). I don't feel comfortable owning it after the extended warranty is over (and traded it in for the Gallardo - I know they are very different cars :)).

Also, I'd suggest to go to an independent shop for services. Probably half or less than what dealer charges for the same service.

Definitely get a PPI, as suggested.

Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Gallardo are pretty reliable, especially LP (2009+).

I used to own a 2011 Cayenne Turbo. From my personal experience, the Cayenne have more known issues (transfer case, some bolts they use in the engine, coolant). I don't feel comfortable owning it after the extended warranty is over (and traded it in for the Gallardo - I know they are very different cars :)).

Also, I'd suggest to go to an independent shop for services. Probably half or less than what dealer charges for the same service.

Definitely get a PPI, as suggested.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into some independent shops. I don’t mind the $1000 oil change, selling my cayenne was much easier when I had all the paperwork for service from the dealer.

It sounds like a good car. 2009 was greatly improved over previous years, you should be fine, however a PPI or getting a clean bill of health from your own mechanic is always a good idea.
if you go with an R8, you’ll always wish it was a Lambo. Care to share the asking price? BTW Welcome to the forum.
Yes for sure , will get a PPI done. Big concern is having to do an engine out service at some point.

They are asking $150k Canadian, I’m trying to get it for $140k ($110k US) because of the 20% tax here. It has diamond stitching, lift system, transparent engine cover, rear view camera etc (not sure if any of these are add ons)

mileage is my biggest concern and where the value will be once it hits 80k kms as I’m looking to drive it a bit

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The difference between a Pre LP and LP is as big a difference as between the Countach and a pre LP. Get an LP if you can swing it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an owner of a 50k mile LP, the mileage gives me no concern from a mechanical standpoint.
have you had any engine out service yet? What has been your biggest expense ? Any specific questions I should ask the seller ? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
18,839 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into some independent shops. I don’t mind the $1000 oil change, selling my cayenne was much easier when I had all the paperwork for service from the dealer.

Yes for sure , will get a PPI done. Big concern is having to do an engine out service at some point.

They are asking $150k Canadian, I’m trying to get it for $140k ($110k US) because of the 20% tax here. It has diamond stitching, lift system, transparent engine cover, rear view camera etc (not sure if any of these are add ons)

mileage is my biggest concern and where the value will be once it hits 80k kms as I’m looking to drive it a bit
I’m sure you realize that this is not the best time to buy, you will be paying top dollar.

·
Registered
143 Posts
LP Gallardos make really great first Supercars. Going to the Lambo dealership is expensive for service but generally it is an Audi drivetrain so not bad to maintain. I had a similar choice a couple years ago and went with a 2013 Gallardo LP 560-4 and have never had a regret; in fact I'm still giddy about the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m sure you realize that this is not the best time to buy, you will be paying top dollar.

Yes for sure. I had my eye on Huracans when they were about $200k 2 years ago, now the minimum is $250k. LPs were around $140k lower mileage, now they’re $150k for a higher mileage, so I don’t feel like I’m getting burned too bad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
have you had any engine out service yet? What has been your biggest expense ? Any specific questions I should ask the seller ? Thanks!
I've only had it for 2 years/4k miles, but from the records I do have and what the PO had to say, it hasn't really needed much. There also isn't a lot of common maintenance or repairs on these that requires engine out.

I think the only repair I've had was the fuel pump. Other than that, I've done a bunch of maintenance and mods.

You can really think of the LP as a pointy Audi. Everything that isn't a Gallardo specific interior or exterior piece generally just has Audi symbols and part numbers stamped on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've only had it for 2 years/4k miles, but from the records I do have and what the PO had to say, it hasn't really needed much. There also isn't a lot of common maintenance or repairs on these that requires engine out.

I think the only repair I've had was the fuel pump. Other than that, I've done a bunch of maintenance and mods.

You can really think of the LP as a pointy Audi. Everything that isn't a Gallardo specific interior or exterior piece generally just has Audi symbols and part numbers stamped on it.
thanks !

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,828 Posts
I had my eye on Huracans when they were about $200k 2 years ago, now the minimum is $250k.
Even a year ago the pricing was still not so stratospheric, I bought a 2019 Huracan 580-2 in July 2020 with 1600 miles for $196K.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yes for sure. I had my eye on Huracans when they were about $200k 2 years ago, now the minimum is $250k. LPs were around $140k lower mileage, now they’re $150k for a higher mileage, so I don’t feel like I’m getting burned too bad.
My 580-2 was $270k MSRP loaded CCB TEB Giano’s Nav with 1000 miles I bought it from my friend for $190K with laser jammer tint and ceramic coating included and most importantly no excise tax due to private sale. Now my 580-2 is worth more than I paid for it 3 years ago. Go figure

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 580-2 was $270k MSRP loaded CCB TEB Giano’s Nav with 1000 miles I bought it from my friend for $190K with laser jammer tint and ceramic coating included and most importantly no excise tax due to private sale. Now my 580-2 is worth more than I paid for it 3 years ago. Go figure

It definitely sucks for buyers. Part of me says to just wait a year but who knows what will happen by then

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GT 4.2
27 Posts
It definitely sucks for buyers. Part of me says to just wait a year but who knows what will happen by then
You’re looking at August motors ex-DDE/Steve Cusson LP-560 in that sand wrap? DDE put a lot of money into it, but Steve did rat bag it pretty good with launches and stuff it seems; great car though regardless, I’d buy it right now if I was in the market. Probably another 2-3 years!

Also I recommend just doing Oil changes/spark plugs yourself, there is a service manual posted here that shows you how to do everything, it is not difficult.

·
Registered
SL #7007
497 Posts
Hi guys, long time lurker. Finally in the position to purchase a Lamborghini.

A 2009 LP560 has come up with 50,000 kms ( 31,000 miles). It has 90% clutch life on it, brakes/tires are in good shape and it has one insurance claim for $4000.

I've been researching a bit and my biggest concern is getting hit with a $30k bill if something breaks down. I've called my local dealer and the oil changes seem reasonable (about $1k for a oil/filter change, $5k for a major service including spark plugs etc). My 6 year old Cayenne had to have a transfer case changed and it cost $8k (fortunately under service) so im worried about something similar happening.

Do any current or former owners have any advice? My other option was to get a 2017 R8 as it would have lower mileage and newer but there's just something about a Lamborghini that excites me a lot more, even though its a 12 year old car.

Should I be worried about the age / mileage? Anything I can do to protect myself ? My goal was to get a Huracan but those have gone up in value by about 25% in the last year and a bit out of my budget unfortunately.
Speaking from experience, if you want a Lambo then don’t settle with an R8. My R8 was a great car but it wasnt a Lambo which was my end goal. I only had it for a short period of time then I sold my R8 to get my SL. Lost a bit of money on the R8 as a result…..

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,828 Posts
Prices will fall like the housing bubble in 07'. 90% of the cars on the market have been sitting for months if not over a year. Wait for the prices to get back to pre-pandemic levels OP. Don't let FOMO make you spend 30-50k over what the car is actually worth!
Agree, I don't have a crystal ball but I believe this present market is not sustainable and unless your doctor has given you less than 6 months to live ;) I would wait.

Reactions: SGV and Cliff.1620
1 - 20 of 46 Posts