Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Vendor
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ECT Dual Friction™ clutch assemblies (Ceramic/Kevlar hybrid) have really been taking hold of the industry and making believers out of those who had previously been so close minded towards the use of Kevlar and really just any clutch that wasn't stock. We sent this one to Florida to go in an E-gear Superleggera. The interesting obstacle here was that one of the largest independent Lamborghini service centers in the US was going to be doing the install, JCM Performance.

JCM Performance at the request of customers has REMOVED multiple Kevlar clutches by competitors in the past and as such, the experiences had him not wanting to install any clutch assembly, especially in an e-gear car, unless the clutch was an OEM stock Lamborghini clutch.
I assured him that this product would change his mind. I explained that the Dual Friction clutch is to the market today what the standard Kevlar model was a decade ago. As previously mentioned, with a background in mechanical engineering coupled with using the advancements in the field of material sciences, we have been able to produce a clutch that over and over again has yeilded a stock type engagement and better performance despite the e-gear being notoriously difficult in many applications. The man that has steered so many away from using any clutch other than stock and been paid to remove other folks Kevlar clutches had positive news. I was anxious to hear how it went, and he was happy to report that he couldn't ask for a better engagement. He was so pleased with the way the clutch drove right out of the box before even adjusting the PIS for the engagement, that he is going to be using an ECT clutch in his own Lamborghini Murcielago!! I couldn't have asked for a bigger statement by an extremely experienced Lamborghini mechanic.

He explained that he didn't just have it out for Kevlar clutch makers. He just got tired of installing peoples Kevlar clutches they were purchasing in the past only to have to charge them to uninstall it when that had nothing to do with his quality of work. He said if he knew the customer would be ticked at how their car engaged the clutch and drove after paying good money, he would try to steer them away from that because he knew exactly how it would drive with a stock clutch which would have them leaving happy. If it would just do that, he would have used aftermarket clutches way longer. It was just a way to avoid frustration of customers who thought he did something wrong on the install, not realizing they just didn't have the right product for their needs. So, with one install of an ECT clutch in an e-gear SL Gallardo, he has a new faith in the aftermarket clutch industry and will be a solid partner in us moving forward. I should be getting some pictures soon from the install that took place a couple weeks ago. I will be sure to add them to this thread when I do. In the mean time, here is a comparison pic our ECT Dual Friction clutch (top) and Kevlar clutch (bottom):

He said he felt good about it as soon as he opened the box. The level of craftsmanship versus the previous clutches he had seen and removed had him really liking this one before even installing it. His exact statement was that he thinks of it like an airplane. Generally when you can how well built it is, it performs the same. He went on to say that compared to the other clutches he's seen, he was really impressed with what he pulled out of the box. His follow up report was that after the install went smoothly, that much to his relief, so did the initial drive. Happy customers are a great thing, but to get a believer in our product that has been opposed to any thing other than a stock clutch after being in this industry for this long, it's a great feeling. Having another extremely qualified installer to further grow our brand is a huge plus as well.

In closing, one last photo of my favorite kind of "product testing" ;)

UPDATE 5/13/13: Clutch swap pictures added in post below.

·
Vendor
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As promised:

The tear down is solidly under way

Transmission out of the way and old stock clutch ready to come out

Last moments with the stock clutch

Out with the old and in with the new...ECT Dual Friction clutch assembly installed

Back into the wild and ready for Modball Rally 2013!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts