Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,319 Posts
Not normal in my mind. Way dried out: means they were not properly and regularly kept oiled so the engine bay heat took its toll. if so they were less effective at keeping out dirt and dust for some time. You’ll want to make certain you get every last bit of it out of your intake upstream of them.

Good news is replacing them is easy and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Are those STOCK filters? Wow.. that's scary? Did they look intact in the airbox and only fell apart after you pulled it out?

Mine were perfectly shaped when they were replaced at 15k. Car has 23k now... about 4 years since the last replacement. I'll take a look when I change the oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are those STOCK filters? Wow.. that's scary? Did they look intact in the airbox and only fell apart after you pulled it out?

Mine were perfectly shaped when they were replaced at 15k. Car has 23k now... about 4 years since the last replacement. I'll take a look when I change the oil.
Not normal in my mind. Way dried out: means they were not properly and regularly kept oiled so the engine bay heat took its toll. if so they were less effective at keeping out dirt and dust for some time. You’ll want to make certain you get every last bit of it out of your intake upstream of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it is not normal, what I mean is that those filters fall apart based on brand, the material of the one I pulled out were gel like.
Those filters were in the car when I bought it last month.
Yes, I cleaned the heck out the box. Now I am waiting for the new original one from Scudria parts. I also went ahead and changed the gear oil front and back.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thats funny. When I bought my 06 Gallardo Spyder I had the exact same issue. Same filters. Those are BMC filters I believe and they had a bad batch of rubber and it they disintegrated. Mine were not has bad as yours but they were falling apart exactly the same as yours. I contacted BMC at the time and they sent me a brand new set for free. That was 5 years ago though so I doubt they would still do that but you could always try. The new filters used a totally different rubber material in them and mine still look like new 5 years later.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ah, mine's an 08, so I guess that's why it looked OK. I guess the OP and Ozzir having the 06s, might have had that bad batch.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ah, mine's an 08, so I guess that's why it looked OK. I guess the OP and Ozzir having the 06s, might have had that bad batch.
No. Its because they are aftermarket filters. The stock ones would be fine. BMC just had a bad batch of rubber that was used on their filters and when it got hot it just crumbled. I've never heard of the stock filters doing this or any other filters for that matter. Just the BMC's. Like I said. They replaced mine and have been perfect since. Their customer service was awesome.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh I see, those are aftermarket, OK. Yeah, I haven't seen my filters in 4 years. But since they're OEM, I guess it's a non issue. Very unfortunate for BMC to have had this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts