Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I bought my 2005 Gallardo it was straight piped with a custom exhaust setup and I don't know the brand. The cats were removed and replaced with test pipes. It is obnoxiously loud and I am wondering if I put cats back on how much difference that will make? I just don't want to spend the money if it's not going to help. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The guy I sold my car to which had a LOC exhaust on it, had the stock exhaust for the car if you are looking for one.

Straight piped and decatted are pretty crazy loud. Many people recommend replacing stock cats anyway since they have been known to damage the engines. @Jason B posted a video where an engine builder talks about it.

Anyway, if you are looking for a barely used stock exhaust, I know a guy would would likely sell at a fair price.

·
Registered
SL #7007
135 Posts
The middle ground is sport cats from Larini or Fabspeed. There might be other manufactures but I only know of those two. Im waiting on my Larini sport cats as we speak but I'm kind of scared to throw those on. I put a loc exhaust on my SL and I left the stock cats. Honestly, its pretty damn loud like this and it has that F1 purrrr. Cold starts are ridiculous! Im second guessing the sport cats because that will make it even louder!

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
277 Posts
Looks like eBay OBX system - Exhaust System fits Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 V10 5.2L By OBX-R Sports | eBay

I never expected de-catting a car could make much difference in sound, but now having done it with 2 totally different cars I can say it makes a HUGE difference. One example had an Akrapovic system installed (cat-back) and it was initially a huge disappointment not seeming much louder than stock.... The clips on youtube were soooo much better I felt cheated, BUT They had the cat-less downpipes in addition, so next came the new downpipes and a tune and WOW, That made all the difference. Put the converters back on and it will surely quiet it down somewhat, but those straight pipes definitely aren't helping the situation.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had pre-lp with LOC and stock cats. It was LOUD. I have heard decatted Gallardos and to be honest, it is too loud for me. To each their own..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally agree, it's way too loud. Just asking for options/suggestions to quiet it down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well if loudness is the ONLY issue... just don't straight pipe it. If you have no emission passing issues or CEL's then just get a 'quiet' exhaust system. It's probably cheaper going that route than having to find the converters. Having the converter bypass is going to amplify whatever system you choose, so don't go with the loudest one running converters. Go with the quieter ones running converters and then they'll sound like the loud ones on your car. You might be able to find a 'conservative' volume system on eBay or somewhere from someone.....or, even list your system up and offer as a trade or partial for somebody who wants to go straight pipe. I think it's more popular w/ the younger crowd. We mature and experience it and get the 'been there, done that' attitude and as you likely discovered, it gets OLD after a while

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes me cringe everytime I drive it! If anyone has any "less expensive" opinions/options on what to look for don't hesitate to throw a link in.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It makes me cringe everytime I drive it! If anyone has any "less expensive" opinions/options on what to look for don't hesitate to throw a link in.
My guess is you could find stock exhaust. (Not sure if the guy I was trying to put you in touch with will be willing to sell), but regardless you can usually find between 500-800$ on ebay.

The difference of stock vs after market exhaust is BIG. The stock exhaust really does not open up till about 4k rpm. Now taking a car with an after market exhaust and de-catting....that brings it to a whole new level of noise.

So my guess, is the most economical would be just to put a stock exhaust on the car. As long as your state does not require cats, I am guessing it would louder than stock but not louder than a aftermarket system on a car w/ cats. If you want the car a little louder, you can always mod the valves to stay open. This gives you a few options.

Good luck. Check ebay. You see them on there all the time

·
Registered
212 Posts
How about a valved exhaust?

Keep it quiet on startup and at low RPM, open it up when you care to hear it.

Cheapest possible option would be to buy the valves individually and have an exhaust shop weld them on. Thats a realistic option and shouldnt be too expensive.

Next cheapest would be used OEM off of ebay.

I'm trying to trade my Tubi for a Kline, but cant find anyone wanting to do that. I'd sell my tubi for the cost of a kline. Lol. Doubt you want to pay $4000 for a tubi, though.

Used OEM, $800: OEM LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO FACTORY ORIGINAL EXHAUST MUFFLER (PRE LP) | eBay

Heres a suspiciously cheap one: 2004 - 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder Factory Exhaust Muffler Oem 400251052 | eBay

·
Registered
277 Posts
I bet that $200 OEM with your cat delete setup would be music to your ears versus what you've got now..... (don't forget that guy lists $300 as flat-rate shipping) pick it up if you're near Cali................

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just happen to be mid-install of a system on my LP... I know it's different but to give you an idea of valves open always vs. valves closed it may help give you an example for the stock muffler still yet in the car............(I have converters)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Get a resonated exhaust with valves.

I had a kline exhaust with test pipe and It seem like it was more quiet than stock set up(06 exhuast with cat). Only when the valves are open then it's screams.

In comparison, I have test pipe and SL exhaust set up right now, and it's louder than the Kline set up.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great info, the stock mufflers look like the most economical solution. I can try it and if I don't like it not out that much. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
SL #7007
135 Posts
I think the cheapest route is used stock cats. There are plenty for sale. They will quiet down the exhaust you have a lot! Or if you want to remain catless, I'd buy a used SL exhaust before I buy a used Gallardo exhaust... There are also a few used SL exhausts on here. The SL exhaust is a little louder and lighter than a stock Gallardo exhaust...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think the cheapest route is used stock cats. There are plenty for sale. They will quiet down the exhaust you have a lot! Or if you want to remain catless, I'd buy a used SL exhaust before I buy a used Gallardo exhaust... There are also a few used SL exhausts on here. The SL exhaust is a little louder and lighter than a stock Gallardo exhaust...
DO NOT get used cats!! It is know that the gallardo cats are garbage and can ruin your engine. It's best to get high flow cat or test pipes.

Also if you are upgrading to an 06-08 or SL exhaust, you would need upper exhaust mounts.

·
Registered
SL #7007
135 Posts
DO NOT get used cats!! It is know that the gallardo cats are garbage and can ruin your engine. It's best to get high flow cat or test pipes.

Also if you are upgrading to an 06-08 or SL exhaust, you would need upper exhaust mounts.

I agree with you about the cats, but the OP was looking for an, “Economical solution.” It doesn’t sound like he wants to spend the $2600-$3600 on sports cats so I was trying to come up with cheap solutions.

Very good info on the extra mounts too!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with you about the cats, but the OP was looking for an, “Economical solution.” It doesn’t sound like he wants to spend the $2600-$3600 on sports cats so I was trying to come up with cheap solutions.

Very good info on the extra mounts too!
Yes, but used cats can cause catastrophic engine failure ...which will cause him 30k+ to rebuild the engine or a new engine.....in the long run it will end up as an expensive solution.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts