Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day

I have a problem with a crankshaft pulley bolt which was replaced with the washer but keeps coming loose. I torqued the bolt to spec and added lock tight. The previous garage quoated on a new crankshaft which I thought is crazy as the car runs fine, Im guessing they had the similiar problem. The previous bolt also snapped and was removed and checked by a reputible thread company.

Has anyone had a similiar problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Can't answer your question directly.

FWIW Corvette C6 generation has crank (eg Chev Harmonic Balancer) pully issues (wobble, balancer internal rubber failure, press fit, bolt loosening etc). Many who re-tighten and re-use the bolt on Vettes get a failure like you...comes loose again. Noting you have replaced the bolt and washer with a new one, unlike my example of re-tightening failures.

For Chevy's "cure", I am unsure if the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) says to use Red Lock Tight, which is stronger than Blue Lock Tight, yet Red may require heat when you desire to remove the bolt in the future).

But, the TSB does say to also use a new bolt, washer and to following a bolt torqueing procedure every repair.

The TSB mentions an ungraded washer, which (I recall) is special diamond studded, to had "grip".

Lastly, perhaps deeper research on the threads of the crank nose being repaired and perhaps causing your issue and what could "fix" this, if the threads are the issue, could be done.

Pinning, as our co-member mentioned above, is certainly on option.

All FWIW and best of luck to you.
And let us know what you find.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pining is an almost impossible procedure with the engine in especially when you consider how deep the factory pulley is.

My suggestion is to use a Nord-Lock washer on the bolt. These are incredibly grippy when installed and I have never seen a fastener loosen from using these. Here is a link to where you can buy them and what they look like:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts