Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've got a "good one" for all the genius mechanics on here:
When you turn a corner, accelerating modestly, say from a stop light my 67,000 kilometer 2004 Egear Gallardo makes a "groaning/clunking noise" It is behind the driver and tends to get worse as the car gets warmer. ONce the car is moving at say 20mph it goes away, until you turn a corner again.
1st mechanic - "it's in the differential" - he put new oil in the diff
2nd mechanic - Authorized Lamborghini dealer - "it's in the gearbox" -he put new oil in + filter = $1400!
After these 2 "experts", it's worse!
What I'm worried about is when I give it back to 2nd mechanic, he is going to "dig further" and it's going to cost big bucks and yet he might fix the wrong thing and the noise still stays!
Just for your USA reference - the second mechanic charges $264 + 10% tax per hour!

Can anyone help me with what it might be?

THANKS!! Ed Burton (Australia)

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Heck, for $264 an hour maybe I’ll quit my job and become your mechanic! $125 or $150 for a certified Lamborghini tech but $264 is as they say Highway robbery.

kind a hard to diagnose these issues from a website, but when you mentioned turning a corner and then a groaning noise my mind immediately goes to wheelbearings or an issue with an axle. If you had an issue with your gearbox it would happen repeatedly whether or not you were turning and I don’t think it would be a grown, it would be a grind or clunk. In either case the $264 an hour mechanic would have noticed that immediately as there would be metal filings on your gearbox plug. The Differential came to mind but I believe you would have picked up a four-wheel-drive CEL light had that been your issue, And again you would see metal filings on your gearbox oil plug. I think it is a mechanical issue: in my mind it’s a wheel bearing. Jack your car and shake your tires inside and out, not in the direction they roll but perpendicular to the direction that they roll. If one of them clunks or has play that’s your problem.

good luck but please do report back.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Diablo Clyde, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your quick (and highly informative) response! I've jacked up the back of the car (noise only comes from back) and wiggled both wheels like you said but no travel or noise BUT then I rocked them forward and back i.e. in the rotation direction when the car is moving and both back wheels went "clank". The "travel" i.e. the amount you could rock them forward and back was about 1 inch? The noise actually came from along the axel line between the 2 wheels. and happens whether car is in gear or out? The car has never been tracked or thrashed in any way (if that helps) - at 69 I'm a "slow old punter".

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Ok, so I am certainly no expert, but that to me now sounds like it is axles not wheelbearings. I believe that is CV joints. I don’t know that the car is not drivable per se as I have had this issue a couple of times in non-Lamborghinis and driven them for a while, but this is something you want to drive to a mechanic to have replaced. It is just a little odd to me that both would be going simultaneously and not one at a time. It is possible that one started and you only noticed it when the second one became the more pronounced problem.

Back to wheel bearings, generally you notice those on a turn and it is generally the opposite side of the turn you were on. If you were turning to the left you’ll hear the noise coming from the right, for instance.

these are not super big issues but with any Lamborghini will cost you a few bucks. I would take your car in to a mechanic and have all four looked at for peace of mind.

your car with 67,000 km is probably now ripe for these replacements, no worries at all. This is life-cycle replacement for a car that is now 17 years old with those miles. Have a mechanic replace them and order the parts from a reputable place like bull stuff or AMH or Eurospares, and you’ll be back on the road in no time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GREAT THANK YOU! I'm going to the authorized dealer again on Monday and I'll mention CV's and wheel bearings and see what he says but really at $264 per hour you'd think they would have found this! Once again THANK YOU and I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
409 Posts
my first thought when i hear clunking/groaning around a corner is differential fluid. I also know that the car is very finicky about what fluid goes in. I had clunking/groaning (not sure if it got worse as car got warmer) and I changed fluid to either redline MTL or MT90. The noise persisted. I then changed to the other fluid (MTL/MT90) and added redline friction modifier as directed somewhere on this forum, and all of the issues disappeared. I'm sure I posted about the fluid recommendations in years past, so we could probably search on me to find out which fluid did what. Its a relatively inexpensive route to go at this point. Perhaps find out what fluid was used by Mechanic #1

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi guys, I've got a "good one" for all the genius mechanics on here:
When you turn a corner, accelerating modestly, say from a stop light my 67,000 kilometer 2004 Egear Gallardo makes a "groaning/clunking noise" It is behind the driver and tends to get worse as the car gets warmer. ONce the car is moving at say 20mph it goes away, until you turn a corner again.
1st mechanic - "it's in the differential" - he put new oil in the diff
2nd mechanic - Authorized Lamborghini dealer - "it's in the gearbox" -he put new oil in + filter = $1400!
After these 2 "experts", it's worse!
What I'm worried about is when I give it back to 2nd mechanic, he is going to "dig further" and it's going to cost big bucks and yet he might fix the wrong thing and the noise still stays!
Just for your USA reference - the second mechanic charges $264 + 10% tax per hour!

Can anyone help me with what it might be?

THANKS!! Ed Burton (Australia)
All good and valid comments below-its not the egear system. 1st reality check-miles on the clutch? 2nd have the suspension a arm bushing been replaced? This is exactly what my 04 once the car was warm noise went away, I replaced all the bushings in the suspension problem solved. I changed all the fluids on mine + filter was $400 (South Florida-not at a dealer).

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The rear diff and transmission uses the same fluid in the same housing on gallardo. So, I’d check what fluid was used by the two shops and if friction modifier was added. I used redline fluid and the noise got worse and the fluid was wearing out quick. Since then, I have put in Audi gear oil which made a great improvement. Audi fluid has the additive already. Make sure the screen filter is cleaned as well.

axle and bearing can be checked with the tire off the ground and you rock the tire holding 3 and 9 o’clock positions. If there is play, then it’s bad and off to the shop. I doubt that’s your problem though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
...and i just re-read and realized that this noise of yours was coming from behind the driver. To be clear, my situation was noise coming from the front of the car and swapping the front diff fluids made the difference. I had not experienced groaning, etc coming from the rear.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and i just re-read and realized that this noise of yours was coming from behind the driver. To be clear, my situation was noise coming from the front of the car and swapping the front diff fluids made the difference. I had not experienced groaning, etc coming from the rear.
Great thanks for clarifying ....... it's definitely in the rear.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good and valid comments below-its not the egear system. 1st reality check-miles on the clutch? 2nd have the suspension a arm bushing been replaced? This is exactly what my 04 once the car was warm noise went away, I replaced all the bushings in the suspension problem solved. I changed all the fluids on mine + filter was $400 (South Florida-not at a dealer).
1. Clutch probably has 3000 miles on it
2. No bushings been replaced so I'll put that on my list for the mechanic to look at.....THANKS!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hiya.
Wow, so many WRONG wanna be mechanics on here its scary.
Your noises and when they happen are typical of old or incorrect type oil replacement - this is not to say that you don't have serious mechanical damage due to the fore mentioned.
DONT use the factory recommended oil in the diff / gearbox - and I dont say that with a smile.
This caused my clunking / grinding to worsen tenfold and wasted a lot of money which as you know is easy enough to do on these cars in the first place!
I used the oil in the pic I've supplied, after a lot of research, and the noise in the rear went away immediately.
I have yet to do the front diff again with this oil as the wheel houses are falling apart and I was waiting to fit new ones and my LP bumper at the same time - but front wheel houses are INCREDIBLY expensive so I cant be stuffed.
( Lots of things need removing to access the front diff ).
Best of luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! Thanks for this - Mechanic 2 just put in new Lamborghini oil - Don't know which one but I reckon it will be the Lamborghini approved one as it was a genuine Lambo shop . It was 70w75 and it cost (wait for it)..... $A545!! Could you please tell me how much oil I need and also where do you buy it! I doubt VERY MUCH I'll be able to get it here in Australia so will have to get it from USA. THANK YOU FOR THIS - I will try this first before giving it to a mechanic again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yea, I know how much the factory recommended oil cost but at least I saved 50% on it by buying it directly from a source in Italy!
I got the oil from the local BNT parts shop - they are the NZ FUCHS agent, I think it was only $30 a bottle.
I thought BNT was an Australian company?
I think its 5.5 litres in the rear diff / gearbox and 1.5 litres in the front diff.
Its not hard to change, a little difficult to access the fill points, like most things on these cars.
You should buy one of those cheap manuals on Ebay, or better still, I'm sure there are freebees on here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
In his very first post he said two professional mechanics replaced the respective oils with new. The problem still persisted. Unless they used a completely different weight of oil than spec, this problem would have gone right away if it was the oil. Now, over some miles and heat cycles maybe those new oils will not hold up and then start to make the noises again but not when brand new. The fact that the problem is still persisting with brand spanking new oil, unless of course it is the wrong weight oil, then it’s not the brand of oil as a problem.

All that said, if you now have damage to your gear box or differential caused by wrong or broken down oil then no amount of new oil regardless of brand will fix the issue. I would find it hard to believe that your two mechanics would not have noticed either metal shavings or that the noise persisted after their work. The more likely scenario is they diagnosed the wrong part, leading me to think wheel bearing CV or axle.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THANKS HEAPS for all this guys! If the oil was changed by an authorized dealer I'm sure he would have mentioned if there were any metal pieces in it.

Diablo Clyde - what I think XSNRGY and Lamboperth are saying is that on these older Gallardos the recommended oil is the wrong oil to use?
The oil used was LB0024016729 "gearbox oil 70w75"

The invoice from the authorized dealer says "checked and road tested vehicle for clunk noise. Inspected suspension components as all OK. Suspect coming from differential. Replaced gearbox oil and filter and road tested. Found improvement in noise level, however it will require overhauling if such noise becomes more evident".

BUT the noise was worse AFTER the oil change and these guys looking at it?

I'm leaning towards getting the oil recommended by Lamboperth (us both living in Australia) and if this doesn't fix it, then I guess the diff needs overhauling (big bucks AND will this fix it?) unless you guys think I'm going the wrong way?

AS USUAL- I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT/S!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts