Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick Summary: I bought an 2008 LP640 at Mecum in Jan and it arrived late Feb. Drove the car from the transport to my house about 4 miles away and not only couldn't get the car in the garage but put a 1/4 inch ding in the bumper. I then had the car towed to my shop. Turns out the bumper had other cracks in addition to the ding I put in. A poor attempt to repair the cracks had been previously made. It was challenging for my shop to find a body shop which could work on a carbon fiber bumper; which they finally did and the results were stupendous. Add in how busy the shop was I didn't get the car till early July.
I was quite nervous when I went to pick up the car. Took a good friend of mine with me. I get in the car and can't figure out how to start it. With some help got the car started and drove 15 miles home.
Next challenge how to get the car in the garage? Took my buddy and me about 15 min to line up my lego inspired ramp to get the car in the garage, what a relief! My friend who isn't a car guy, said he couldn't deal with what I was dealing with.
Today around 6:30am, I decided to go for a drive. Moved other cars, layed out the ramp and tried to start the car; wouldn't start. Hmm, ran to youtube and unfortunately no video on how to start the car! Fine, went back, made sure the hand brake was off and pressed again on the brake, maybe harder? and the car started this time, yes! Lifted the bumper and drove down my little hill, hoping I didn't damage the car. Parked the car, still running, in front of the house and examined the underneath the front bumper, perfect no damage!

Wood Road surface Asphalt Grass Floor

The photo was taken after I had put the car back, so things got moved a little.

I took the same route I take for my F430. Definitely the LP640 is not as nimble as the F430 but thoroughly enjoyed the driving. On the way back on 280, I hear a "beep" "beep" and the gas was low. Now I"m a little nervous the car is going to run out of gas on the freeway. In my head I"m thinkiing who would I call I hope I'm not out of gas in the middle of thle lane among other irrational thoughts. The beeps were preiodic and I calculated 8/9 miles/gallon I should make ti back to a gas station I like.

Did make it to the gas station, didn't realize which side the gas cap was on I had to turn the car around. Then I pressed the button to open the gas cover, nothing. Tried a few more times and now I"m panicking for a split second. Thought the engine was off the key was in the on position. Turned off the key and the gas cap cover opened. Filled the car and then drove home. Thought Mecum said the color was Arancio Borealis, it is actually Arancio Atlas. I checked under the hood per suggestion on this site and the color was hand written with a blue pen on a label.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

How do I get the car back in the garage was my next concern.? Took a couple of adjustments and made it into the garage. It was about 7:30am.
Next ride should get easier. I thought maybe I should store the car some where, then I won't have to deal with a tight fit in the garage and the ramp situation; but then I won't see it every day.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is one of my 2 favorite colors on Murcielago's! Wonderful car.

If you move the other car in your driveway and go sideways to enter and exit the driveway it will help a lot. Go with as much angle as possible. Does your F430 make it in no problem?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one of my 2 favorite colors on Murcielago's! Wonderful car.

If you move the other car in your driveway and go sideways to enter and exit the driveway it will help a lot. Go with as much angle as possible. Does your F430 make it in no problem?
Thank you. I don't have the confidence to do the sideways approach and the hill is pretty steep. The F430 has a higher clearance and I use just the 1 set of planks and go straight down, don't need 2 sets of planks. At some point I will get the driveway redone, however I will need permits and authorization from the city to change the side walk.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The immobilizers on the LP640s can be weird. If they don't crank the key is to lock and unlock the car again. Hope it helps in the future :)

Reactions: efg2014

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Very nice car!

With your investment in supercars, I would break down and call a driveway company to have them figure out a design for a new driveway entrance that is supercar friendly.
Stimpy, thank you and good advice. It comes down to resource allocation. I'd like to extend my garage on the back so I can tandem park 4 cars. I have also been told by my female friends I need to redo my kitchen. My response always is "Do I look like I'm starving?" Granted I have used a screw and duct tape inside my refrigerator but it does keep the food and drinks cold.:)

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
That is an ingenious idea fixing the slope! I love DIY. If you plan to fix the slope permanently, a good layer of asphalt can do the trick. And you can adjust the thickness too. And it's very cheap (though it has a lifespan until it develops cracks).

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Entertaining and nerve wracking story! No super car storage, or the slope of that driveway would have been a dealbreaker for me on a house.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, the state of illinois is like a pool table so don’t have that slope problem, just potholes.

• Haha
Reactions: Rcasa20

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Stimpy, thank you and good advice. It comes down to resource allocation. I'd like to extend my garage on the back so I can tandem park 4 cars. I have also been told by my female friends I need to redo my kitchen. My response always is "Do I look like I'm starving?" Granted I have used a screw and duct tape inside my refrigerator but it does keep the food and drinks cold.:)
Awesome car! Congrats!

as for the driveway, it would take about 50 40lb bags of Quikrete, a wheel barrel, garden hose water, a couple 2x4s for edge forms, a rented diamond tipped concrete saw… and one weekend to remove 7 foot section and re-level the high portion near the section divider. As long as you don’t go near the street Or alter the sidewalk, there’s no need for city permits or approval. Unless you live an a liberal state.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome car! Congrats!

as for the driveway, it would take about 50 40lb bags of Quikrete, a wheel barrel, garden hose water, a couple 2x4s for edge forms, a rented diamond tipped concrete saw… and one weekend to remove 7 foot section and re-level the high portion near the section divider. As long as you don’t go near the street Or alter the sidewalk, there’s no need for city permits or approval. Unless you live an a liberal state.
You make it sound simple. I live in California so chances are I'd need a permit but thanks for you insights.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You make it sound simple. I live in California so chances are I'd need a permit but thanks for you insights.
True dat. California, the land of regulations and token government money grabs.
I’m in the Midwest. We can do anything to our property, as long as it doesn’t touch municipal property. I learned from my dad… build it first and if the city questions it, play dumb, pay the permit and fine.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Easy way to mix concrete, I did my own pad for my heating oil tank, pour the dry mix in a thick plastic bag, pour the water in and just roll the bag back and forth until mixed! Easy peasy!

Thanks for the awesome story! :)
That will work for small projects, but a large job like his driveway is easier done when slowly pouring the contents of the quickrete bag into a large wheelbarrow, while pouring water in from a garden hose and stirring with a metal rake. Once you’re in a groove, the job goes fast. Easier to do with 2 people. The mixing and pouring will take about 5 hours.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rent a bobcat for half a day, less than $500.

Get a few yards of base rock and sand $200.

Buy a few pallets of pavers. The driveway doesn't look that long, each pallet covers 100 sqft about $150 a pallet. A paver driveway is more simple than most realize and it looks better than anything else.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
wow you have patience to use planks ......no way for me i would had sold the house .
I'm going to have a big dilemma when I get an H, only one spot in the garage. I'm not too fond of having the black Vette in the driveway all summer and do the shuffling dance. The cover doesn't cover enough and lets dirt on the side skirts, rockers, doors and all 4 wheels and dirt get through the top of the cover a little bit I'm more tempted to leave the Vette in the garage since it's black and leave the H outside. One of them will go to storage in winter.

Can't sell the house because I'm near everything for work and houses went up +-3x as much. I would have to sacrifice a Lambo to afford a 2 car garage.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Luz i feel you...i added lift and extra garages to fit my cars but currently looking to move to get more space
so i can build a nice large garage for my cars and all my tools and a lift to work on my cars.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm going to have a big dilemma when I get an H, only one spot in the garage. I'm not too fond of having the black Vette in the driveway all summer and do the shuffling dance. The cover doesn't cover enough and lets dirt on the side skirts, rockers, doors and all 4 wheels and dirt get through the top of the cover a little bit I'm more tempted to leave the Vette in the garage since it's black and leave the H outside. One of them will go to storage in winter.

Can't sell the house because I'm near everything for work and houses went up +-3x as much. I would have to sacrifice a Lambo to afford a 2 car garage.
Careful! If you park an exotic outside, the insurance company will probably not cover damages or provide coverage.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Rent a bobcat for half a day, less than $500.

Get a few yards of base rock and sand $200.

Buy a few pallets of pavers. The driveway doesn't look that long, each pallet covers 100 sqft about $150 a pallet. A paver driveway is more simple than most realize and it looks better than anything else.
I 100% agree with paver driveways and renting a bobcat, etc,.

that said, if he’s doing the entire driveway, we now ask the OP to expand his budget from $500-$700 to $5k-$7k, plus he might not have a pickup with hitch for towing a rental bobcat(he’ll also have to rent that). if he wants a quick fix until he does a real makeover, cutting out only the elevated section and replacing with pavers, etc is a great idea, as there’s not much mess(water, concrete mix, etc.

ps
I also rented a bobcat to do my 150’ driveway. Was a blast to operate. Took an hour to become efficient… as one has to use foot peddles in conjunction with hand joysticks.

fyi, this is 1 of 6 patios I did at my place… dug into the hillside, placed gravel, sand and pavers.

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Outdoor furniture Body of water

1 - 20 of 30 Posts