Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instant Gratification, it's the way the world rolls. You want it now, it's so hard to resist those urges, temptations. You have a normal job, you buy normal cars, but you're a car enthusiast/motorhead. That's me, but so much of a motorhead that I became an Auto Tech by trade. I dreamed, but never anticipated, ever owning one of these cars. Mustangs and M3's were my Forte. In 2011 I sold an M3 for a nice downpayment on my (dream car) a Beautiful 12k mile Porsche 997 C2S. I paid that off in 2015 and wasn't ready to sell it so I bought another M 'daily driver'. Paid that off last year and came to the realization that I had two nice cars and the Porsche (now still only 24K miles) had gone back up in value! Sell both and there's a nice 80k downpayment (sold the 911 for $54k).....I inadvertently took the 10yr plan. Could I have saved that amount over those years? Not a chance, I know my patterns well enough to admit that as a fantasy. If you already own something nice, don't sell it or trade it in. Buy something else nice that is not likely to depreciate much (you need to make a smart decision here) and take the 5yr plan.... or less if you'd good at paying things off quick.
The Point is, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, YOU CAN'T TAKE THEM WITH YOU, AND YOU'VE GOT TO START SOMEWHERE if you know your bank account is always limited. The Porsche WAS my dream car, it was as exotic as I thought I would ever aspire to. I was happy with it for 10 years, but was getting bored the last few. Now suddenly found myself in a position where selling it (and the other) could put me into a Lamborghini ??!! You want to shoot for the stars but you've got to get to the moon first. Set realistic goals and work your way there.

What prompted this post is that I finally took my new (to me) 20k mile LP560 Spyder out on its' first real 'spirited' drive. There's a lightly driven back road not far from me that has a bunch of those 25 mph curves and then straightaways (I call it the circuit). It's wicked, but a good test of car and nerves. All I can say is WOW, this car made it seem Easy, I think it can handle more than I have the guts to throw at it...... much more speed and confidence than I ever felt in the 911.... but then I guess that's why it's in a totally different price league when either sold new. I was so afraid I would regret my decision to sell that Porsche (it truly was a one-of-a-kind piece). The only regret I have is not being affluent enough to own both, but that's not really a regret, it's a limitation

Here's the kicker..... On my way home from my little excursion I stopped for gas. Doesn't some young guy walk over to chat about the car who's wearing a t-shirt from the Dealership I used to work at. A current version of myself 20 years ago. He didn't talk about a car he has, or had, just about the lack of Lambos in our area and wishing he'd have a chance to drive one. In order to buy one though, it would Have to be a Twin Turbo. Really? It's good to dream. Sure, I could have said the same thing 20 years ago. But now, I'm just happy where I am ....foot in the door. A Twin Turbo might just be more car than I could honestly ever handle. I've never been on a track, so I can't even profess to be an 'average' driver...... Anyway, I hope this reinforces the fact that these are truly amazing cars and some of us can eventually work our way up to them. There are probably many different ways to do it, even if it involves some Planning, Patience & Persistence

Confusius say: Man who put Cart before Horse has Ass backwards

·
Registered
2009 LP560-4
129 Posts
Great story. I’ve also used steady value cars to ride the wave to lambo ownership. But I had like 25 cars instead of 2, lol. Some winners and some losers, but alas I am here. It’s a good way to have fun and enjoy your money rather than having it sit in an investment account. Sure I probably could have owned a lambo a few years earlier if invested but would have missed out on all the experiences I had in the meantime. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
352 Posts
Life is short, sometimes shorter than it should be. I’m so happy you’ve gotten to do something you’ve wanted for so long. Congratulations and enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Now it's time to concentrate on the garage. It's a sad state of affairs out there.... definitely not worthy of what's in it !!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, saving up to pay cash is the best way to buy a toy.

Took me 9 years to buy the Diablo, the process made me smarter so it took only 6 years to buy the Ford GT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts