Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
this is my first post and excited to say that I'm actively looking to buy my first lamborghini diablo

After several research, I think that the best Diablo for me would be the 90-92 since they're raw (Jay Leno and Harys Garage both stated that it's the best diablo). I think those cars should go up in value in the next couple of years

There's a collector that would like to sell me his 91 Diablo for 140k US with 37 xxx km. I wonder if it's a good price? I saw diablo of similar year being sold for less or more. The car is in good condition and lamborghini inspected the car and everything seems to be working properly!

·
Registered
64 Posts
140k USD would be a great price in current market. Values tend to be highly condition dependent, but if its a clean car that passes PPI I wouldn't think twice about $140k for a clean car. That said, be prepared to spend $10k on various odds/ends immediately after you get one.

Not sure 90-92 is the "best" diablo (that's probably much more open to interpretation). It's certainly the most raw, but comes with a subset of headaches too (pinion shaft, no power steering, ECU's)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response

I was debating if the 1991 was more fun to drive than a 1997 Diablo Roadster that is very well documented and in good condition.

The car was inspected by a Lamborghini Dealer and told me it's in very good condition, nothing to be fixed and the car is considered clean for it's age according to them. It did pass the PPI :) with a few issues that got fixed by the dealer immediately :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
A 97 roadster is going to be way easier to drive then an early Diablo. Clutch is going to be way lighter, power steering makes it easier t drive at slow speeds. Having the option to take the roof off is a huge plus and makes the driving experience amazing! I’m a Diablo roadster guy all the way

·
Registered
64 Posts
The later cars are easier to drive and maintain. But the early cars are more "pure" and much much lighter - its strictly a matter of preference. I opted for an 'SV after considering a '91 I won an auction for not much more than good clean 91's were going for. It was a gamble, but worked out fine for me. I think the best-priced Spec right now is '96-97 Euro SV's (can be imported easily via 25 year rule).

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,092 Posts
Do a search on the Diablo forum for this early vs. late comparison. I have a 97 Roadster and absolutely love it, particularly with the top off. But many don't like the 4wd nature of the VT particularly the extra weight. It can be 2wd converted for cheap and in a completely reversible process back to OEM, so no worries. Many don't like the early "pod" style dash to the middle production ones, and the late ones beat both of those. Power steering, roofless, the start of OBDII (in 96?) is also huge for maintenance, newer car generally, chain tensioners, and a bunch more bugs worked out over the years makes (in my subjective opinion) the later models 'better'. That said, ABS and airbags and 18" wheels started in 98-99, redesigned dash/interior, more OBDII compatibility per-cylinder, and integrated headlights in 99, all contribute to those owners preferring those later models to even my 97. I'd suggest driving both to compare.

If you don't buy the $140K 92, er um, have him call me :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts