Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m new to the forums.
I’ve been saving up for a little over a year and I have enough money to purchase an early year Gallardo. I definitely want to twin turbo it, and I was looking at underground racing. I have thought about putting turbos on other cars before, and from my understanding, wouldn’t a larger turbo be better for performance? If that’s so, why does UR only use 62mm turbos. If I were to go to UR to get my Gallardo TT, I would want precision turbo’s 118mm turbos put on instead of the 62mm ones.
If anyone has any experience with turbos I’d love to hear from you.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It seems like this would be a question for UR to answer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can't speak for UGR but I suspect they have their kit is dialed in to create torque where the car needs it. Smaller turbos create more torque down low. Larger turbos take longer to spool up and open up in the higher RPM ranges.

·
Registered
154 Posts
They don't use 62mm for all their stages. That's generally just used for stage 1&2. With all the R&D they have done on these cars they use what's the most efficient for particular stages. No need for 118mm turbos when smaller ones are making 2k+ whp

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
There's way more involved than just putting the biggest turbo on a car. Contact UGR directly Kevin will take care of all your questions

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Do you know how big a 118mm turbo is? Firstly, finding the room to put these turbos will be a challenge, and likely impossible. If you meant just one 118mm turbo, twins will always make more power. I think you need to research a bit more about turbos. You need some serious CI in order to be able to spool a 118mm turbo, let alone TWO.

·
Registered
449 Posts
118m maybe single.... Gotcha do more research brotha!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Aiming for 6000+HP?
And i guess you need to rev over 10 000 rpm to get any boost at all :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know how big a 118mm turbo is? Firstly, finding the room to put these turbos will be a challenge, and likely impossible. If you meant just one 118mm turbo, twins will always make more power. I think you need to research a bit more about turbos. You need some serious CI in order to be able to spool a 118mm turbo, let alone TWO.
Let's say we do figure out where to put the turbos, What if we used a smaller turbo that wouldn't feed into the engine intake, but would go into the 118mm turbo to spin that turbo? The exhaust that would normally exit the smaller turbo would instead also go into the second turbo.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sorry but there are tuners and people who have been doing this for years now. If it was doable and worthwhile, it would have been done before. Why mess around with unproven setups when there are reliable ones with more power than you'll ever need

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I think you're absolutely right. Twin 118mm turbos should be the minimum!

Finally some cracked the code for these cars! I'll be swapping out my 67mm turbos immediately!

And then I'll begin my search for a fuel that will get them to make that 118mm POWAH! I have me eyes on unenriched uranium....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry but there are tuners and people who have been doing this for years now. If it was doable and worthwhile, it would have been done before. Why mess around with unproven setups when there are reliable ones with more power than you'll ever need
Haven't we learned anything from science?
Question Everything.

Also, there is never too much power when talking about cars.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Haven't we learned anything from science?
Question Everything.

Also, there is never too much power when talking about cars.
Give them a call and ask them. They are the number one aftermarket performance company for Lamborghinis, and have been for years. They have been rebuilding motors and upgrading them to multiple different levels of output, now some over 2000 horsepower. Maybe they will be like, "Oh that's RIGHT! We FORGOT about the possibility of larger turbos! Maybe we should try that." :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts