Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went to fill up 2020 Huracan and mistakenly put 5 gallons of 100% ethanol in the car. The intention was to select 100 octane - That said, the tank was half full prior to this confusion, and after I noticed the error the rest of the tank was topped off with 100 octane.

Any advice or suggestions? I assume this will need to be shipped back to the dealer to drain the tank.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
If you have a say, 18 gallon tank, that places the ethanol content at 28%, which is higher than the 10-15% recommended by most engine manufacturers.

On my boat, my new engine’s warranty is void if I use higher than 15% ethanol.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Oops, I lied, Volvo Penta only lets me use 10%.

I’m sure Lambo’s like ethanol even less!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with Ravill. I would have it towed to the shop and have it drained right away.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (In Transport!)
7,481 Posts
I read quite a few articles after your initial post but not having experience with this issue I waited for others to chime in.............but bottom line, everything I read was a tad concerning. Hope it gets addressed soon and I hope you are able to prevent permanent damage. I will ask the question simply to raise awareness..........Warranty implications?

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Part two of my question would be, is this best addressed by an Indy shop verses a Lamborghini dealership for obvious reasons?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why not just buy a cheap syphon fuel pump and drain it yourself. Would not start it and get that crap out immediately. Back in the day a old hose and some good old suction could fill drain a tack in minutes. Then fill with some good old 93 Octane and just it for a bit to flush everything out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Why not just buy a cheap syphon fuel pump and drain it yourself. Would not start it and get that crap out immediately. Back in the day a old hose and some good old suction could fill drain a tack in minutes. Then fill with some good old 93 Octane and just it for a bit to flush everything out.
I remember my dad on numerous occasions getting a mouth full of syphoned gas!

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
OP, how did you handle the ethanol mishap? Any problems encountered?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, how did you handle the ethanol mishap? Any problems encountered?
Nothing resolved as of yet, Haven't started or driven the car - waiting to schedule an opportunity to have the tank drained. The local shop that will perform oil changes is not equipped to drain the tank and the siphon hose meets resistance once it encounters fuel. Eager to get the fuel out but the holiday weekend is delaying the process.

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Nothing resolved as of yet, Haven't started or driven the car - waiting to schedule an opportunity to have the tank drained. The local shop that will perform oil changes is not equipped to drain the tank and the siphon hose meets resistance once it encounters fuel. Eager to get the fuel out but the holiday weekend is delaying the process.
Understood. Very smart not to drive it; you should be fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Even turning the key will prime the fuel pump

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can get a hand powered transfer pump from any auto parts store. Stick the hose down the filler neck and pump the fuel into some gas cans. VERY easy.
Attempted this. Once the hose gets to the fuel it meets resistance (maybe from fuel level float?). Without the pump line well into the tank, it is futile.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Could be just a baffle as well, can you get any suction? You really only need to get half or more out to dilute it again to within reasonable specifications to run it

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can get a hand powered transfer pump from any auto parts store. Stick the hose down the filler neck and pump the fuel into some gas cans. VERY easy.
Attempted this. Once the hose gets to the fuel it meets resistance (maybe from fuel level float?). Without the pump line well into the tank, it is futile.
Any modern car(at least in the US market) is equipped with a roll over valve in the gas tank filler neck. That's why you can't siphon/steal gas out of them. It is designed so if you flip your car on its roof in an accident the gas doesn't pour out on the ground and possibly catch on fire. It also prevents gas from being siphoned out the filler neck.

I'm guessing that most of the people telling you to siphon/pump it out haven't siphoned gas out of a car in a pretty long time. If you don't have the ability to drain it at home get the car towed to a shop and have it drained. You can also disconnect the fuel rail and power the fuel pump and pump it out but that's a whole different can of worms.

Here is a short video explaining what I'm talking about. The green ball in the filler neck. It's not a Lamborghini but the same principal applies. Also, I don't recommend removing the ball like he's talking about in the video. It's a safety feature.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts