Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been in the market for a Lambo and keep finding myself looking at the Superleggera. The 08 I'm really interested in is absolutely gorgeous! However, I'd greatly appreciate feedback on anyone's experience with the Superleggera verses a standard G.

For clarity, I will probably never take it to a track or get crazy with it. I plan on driving it as my daily driver which is in the ballpark of 10k miles yearly. Also, economics differences as far as general maintenance, upkeep, etc.

I greatly appreciate the feedback and time.

Respectfully,
David

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can’t go wrong with the 08 Superleggera. It’s the best of the Pre LP series. As far as general maintenance it’s going to be the same as the standard G. Now if you have to start replacing carbon fiber parts for some reason those are going to be more than a standard Gallardo part.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Like what others have said, the 08 superleggera are the very best of the Pre-Lp(along with the gated 06-08)

If it's withing your budget, you cant go wrong getting the superleggera. It's actually a bargain, if you consider all the extra carbon fiber bits.

It's also the most viseral of the pre-LP. Everything is elevated compare to a base pre-LP. The throttle and steering is more responsive, the shift are crispier, the sound is louder.

The interior is very special too, all the carbon fibers and Alcantara makes it feel race car like.

Sent from my J9110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Like what others have said, the 08 superleggera are the very best of the Pre-Lp(along with the gated 06-08)

If it's withing your budget, you cant go wrong getting the superleggera. It's actually a bargain, if you consider all the extra carbon fiber bits.

It's also the most viseral of the pre-LP. Everything is elevated compare to a base pre-LP. The throttle and steering is more responsive, the shift are crispier, the sound is louder.

The interior is very special too, all the carbon fibers and Alcantara makes it feel race car like.

Throttle and steering more responsive? Different steering ratio and different throttle body?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Had one for 5 years, as others are stating, best of the Pre LP and the sound is amazing, the interior very special with all the carbon and the seats are better than the LP model. Gave mine away on a trade for a AV, they are out there. Good luck finding the right one. had 21K on it when traded and it still drove like new.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Throttle and steering more responsive? Different steering ratio and different throttle body?
I think it cause it's lighter, ecu tuning and tires also( pzero vs 4s)

I felt it right away when driving it back to back vs my old 06.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Have you sat in both the regular G and a SL?

Since you intend to DD, one small consideration might be the “feel” of the CF on the door panel and tunnel.

Often when I drive I’ll rest my elbows on either or both, and a leather covered surface with a hint of padding is arguably more comfortable than glossy CF :)

In addition, the CF door panel’s arm rest is much more narrow & rounded than the standard G’s leather counterpart. Makes a big difference in the feel when you sit in one.

As much as I love the styling of the SL, it was in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great point. I hadn't considered that- just kinda feel in love with the overall appearance of the SL and CF. Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Depending on your body shape and form you might not like the carbon seats. For moist they are fine.

I thought the pre-LP SL seats (first photo) still have more comfortable 2-piece, reclinable seats which are very similar to standard G seats, whereas LP (2009+) have the 1-piece, non-reclining “carbon fiber” seats.

The newer 1-piece LP seats (second photo) are a non-starter for me. No lumbar support and forces my back into a curve.

The 2 piece pre-LP SL seats felt better to me, plus I think they have the benefit of side airbags on the outer bolsters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
08 Superleggera

One last thought before pulling the trigger:

From my research, I believe the 2009+ have a more robust clutch system than the 2008 and older. However, I'm reading a lot of information explaining the success of a non-OEM clutch when it's time for replacement, which is far cheaper and have longer life expectations.

You all have been great with sharing your experiences and knowledge, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the clutch.

Respectfully,
David

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am biased, but take it from the facts.

The MKI 08 Superleggera is the Gallardo with most engineering effort to differentiate it from its standard counterpart, making it the most special Gallardo of them all. This is evident on the shear count of bespoke parts on MKI SL.
https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f47/superleggera-technical-difference-210456/

It is also the lightest of all Gallardo variants, incl Super Trofeo Stradale, Squdra Corse and 2wds/Balboni

For any sportscar older than 3-5 years, the absolute speed becomes irrelevant to the driving experience. The MKI is as raw an as street Gallardo gets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Custom Superleggera Twin Turbo pushing 1275 HP. I have had both the Standard G and the SL. You cannot compare the G to the SL. The SL is the absolute BEST!. I love it so much. You will be 100% happy with the SL. I do all my own maintenance and have built my own motors on the 5.0... Dallas Performance and Taylor, my SL was the last motor built Talor built before his passing and He had an SL. If you should ever need anything, don't hesitate to holler. Eddie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just read your post about the clutches. I have used both the stock clutch which will only hold to 875hp before it lets go. I have an aftermarket Carbon/Kevlar duel clutch in it now and it's holding fine. I just got back from the race track, Laguna Seca with the car. She did Ok, but had a sensor issue which would not allow the eGear to shif properly. Currently fixing it to be back on the road.

All in all - go with a stock clutch unless you are pushing high HP. I ran my stock clutch to 35K and still had 40% life left on it before switching over to the TT platform.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
The SLs are definitely nice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I plan on looking at an 08 SL that needs a clutch. Any shops on the east coast that anyone recommends? I called Midwestern Auto Group and they quoted 9-12k.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts