Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 Gallardo Spyder - Has anyone changed the engine cover to glass?

I see a lot of info about weight, heat distribution etc...but has anyone actually changed a Spyders engine bay cover from the louvers to glass?
And if so, where can I find the replacement part?
TIA

·
Registered
263 Posts
There's no replacement part to convert the spyders rear bonnet to glass, but I've also thought about what it would take to do. I've thought about how cool it could be to cut out the louvers and replace them with lexan pieces or cut a big hole in the center of the bonnet and put a lexan window there, but I don't have the guts to mess with the rear bonnet. Would love to see if someone has done something similar though!

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,328 Posts
To me, the bigger issue is what is visible underneath. The soft top tray is not that appealing to look at through the glass and it covers up half the engine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Take a closer look at what fills the engine bay in the spyder when you operate the top. You will then soon realise it's not as visually appealing as the coupe if you show it off via a glass lid.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Take a closer look at what fills the engine bay in the spyder when you operate the top. You will then soon realise it's not as visually appealing as the coupe if you show it off via a glass lid.
I am very familiar with what's under there and I still think it could look awesome. I enjoy peaking into the engine bay through the louvers as it is but they're spaced so close together it's hard to see much. Indeed half of the engine is covered by the soft top tub so glass could not extend the entire length of the rear bonnet if you put the hole in the middle area, but the rear end of the engine, the throttle bodies, the air intake piping would all be visible. Could look especially good for those that have carbon fiber intake tubing or a twin turbo set up with blow off valves there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evan,
If you do it, please lmk how it goes...I mean the hacking up the bonnet and adding the lexan replacement..
If it looks good, I will 100% do it with your learned lessons.

Plus I saw the bonnet of an Aventador Spyder SVJ and am thinking it can be done..

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Plasman and Evan, if you are just talking the louvers on either side then I suggest you get lexan in strips and louver them as well for heat dissipation kinda like the Av. My G spyder bonnet however has the louvers formed as part of the shell itself - not removable - so they'd have to be physically cut out of the bonnet. For me, that's a major and non-OEM change that I'd never do, but I think it could be done and if done right and by a skilled hand it would look pretty cool. On my Diablo, the louver assembly is aluminum and is riveted in so it could easily be removed, set on my shelf, lexan fabricated, and replaced in a completely reversible mod. Regardless, I'd never do that to my Diablo either as it is intended to stay all OEM. If you do the mod, post pics!

On a side note, if you are already going to cut up the bonnet you might consider adding one in the center as well as the louvers. Adding more heat-dissipation to the G Spyder would be a very helpful mod aside from the cosmetic look of seeing your engine. You'd have to consider weight, attachment points, possible water intrusion into areas not originally intended for water or rain, flexing/rigidity, paint correction around the cuts, possible gasket around the new lexan assembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DiabloClyde,
Thanks for your note... and suggestions, you are spot on insofar as my intention to open up the entire louvered area plus the middle section, so one large Lexan sheet with possible venting. And my girls never go in the rain so I don't need to worry about sealing etc. But that just me. I wash them with a spray bottle...high end detail stuff.
Nonetheless, lets see if we gain any additional traction on the thread.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Same here on the handwashing but I live in the state of Washington so sometimes we do get rain when we don’t want to! 😳

That said, another point of discussion is my engine bay always gets dusty when I go for rides. Does that happened to you as well? It is as if there is back pressure that sucks in dust in to those louvers. I find myself wiping down the engine bay much more frequently on that car than others. adding more louvers could possibly help or hurt that situation moving forward. Can’t wait to see what you come up with on the Lexan project.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
276 Posts
That is all a sweet idea. I don't have the nutz to do it..... Sort of like the one for the 458 Spyder. It doesn't have to show the whole intake, just the front, throttle bodies, nice hoses, and a Carbon air box. Make it one-piece removable if necessary........ oh no, the Sacrilege. I do apologize for the following image:
BONNET_6_GPS.jpg

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
276 Posts
Ok, now thinking about it I Would do it.. BUT, only given the opportunity to buy a damaged one to repair and modify in my spare time. The Problem is even they don't come cheap !!! Anybody got a busted up one laying around ??

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am very familiar with what's under there and I still think it could look awesome. I enjoy peaking into the engine bay through the louvers as it is but they're spaced so close together it's hard to see much. Indeed half of the engine is covered by the soft top tub so glass could not extend the entire length of the rear bonnet if you put the hole in the middle area, but the rear end of the engine, the throttle bodies, the air intake piping would all be visible. Could look especially good for those that have carbon fiber intake tubing or a twin turbo set up with blow off valves there.
Agreed. Love to see how it all turns out if you go ahead with it.

I think one aspect of why the OEM coupe implementation looks so good is that it's not just a cutout for a glass. There are other "architectural" elements to it - like the raised honeycomb ridges, the rolled edges of where the lid meets the glass, and the blackened peripheries of the glass. It could look very good on a spyder if done right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts