Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to open my G's engine hood to do some work but now closing it is turning into a pain. After releasing the hydraulic system behind the driver's seat, I was able to gently push the hood closed until it clicked. The convertible top fins were still up. I pushed them down but they wouldn't go far enough to lock. I'm getting the "soft top cannot be used" message now.

The manual (page 127) says the only way to lower the fins the last few millimeters is by putting the pin from the "convertible top fin locking tool" into a hole in each fin's control piston. I'm assuming this is simply to release pressure and allow the fins to go all the way down. I don't have the original tool kit but I'm guessing I could use something similar. The real problem is I can't find the pinholes in the fin control pistons. I see the piston/arm mechanism attached to the fins but that's about it.

Can someone post a pic or give me any info on how you were able to fully lock down the soft top. I did a lot of searching and found similar posts but none with a final solution or pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
COlambo, I just experienced the same problem on my 08 Gallardo Spyder after topping off oil in the service mode. Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kilmann, I tried everything but couldn't get rid of the "soft top not secure" warning. I bought the top fin locking tool off eBay, which allowed me to lock the fins down, but the warning message continued. I ended up taking it to the dealer. They told me the manual latch release was bent into the actuator and that prevented the soft top from securely locking. They charged me a couple hours labor to fix it, so not too bad.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
The manual locking points for the fin Pistons is inside the car. One on the passenger side and one on driver side. It is inside the soft top at the joint on each side where the soft top pivots. You have to move the soft top aside and feel/look for the hole. It's a real PITA because of how tight the soft top fabric is.

I did this a few times on my 2007 and it was a lot of feeling around for the joint and the hole. But once you locate it and get the tool in it doesn't take a whole lot of torque to lock it down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jhbchess,

Thanks for the very helpful information. As it turns out, I was lucky that the mechanic at the dealer talked me through the fix: 1. releasing the pressure in the hydraulic system by using the Allen wrench in the toolkit to turn the screw behind the drivers seat a half turn counterclockwise; this released the pressure holding the fins almost all the way down. 2. I raised the drivers side fin and the other one by hand, 3. I then turned the screw half a turn clockwise back again to locked position, 4. I pushed the button to lower the top, and apparently the system reset and it worked. I now plan on taking the car to the local Audi dealer to see if they have a fix for securing the engine hood all the way down to the click. I can do it by hand if someone else pushes the button. II am guessing but it should be a similar fix for what can secure an Audi R8 Spyder engine hood. I will find out on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to manually lock the soft top fins in Proper place. I noticed some useful information on here but I would appreciate some more insight please. Thank you for your assistance and helpful tips everyone

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to manually lock the soft top fins in Proper place. I noticed some useful information on here but I would appreciate some more insight please. Thank you for your assistance and helpful tips everyone
Here's a pic of where the hole is for the tool i mentioned. You turn it and feel the resistance as it locks the fins back down as best I can recall. It was really hard to move the soft top material aside to get to this IIRC.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
873 Posts
Old thread, but I have updates that will help and should stay memorialized on this thread. In the manual just above my finger in the photo is a bulletpoint that is unclear at very best.

Using the diagram posted above, look for the hole to mate up to pin on the special tool. The tool needs to be tucked up under the stretchy fabric inside each roof fin, in this orientation as shown on my passenger/right side photo taken from inside center of the car. Of course the reverse for drivers/left. The fabric won’t come off in this corner easily, so just stretch it up and out of the way. It is then super easy to apply what felt like 10 lbs pressure for an inch or two and you’ll feel the mechanism pop into locked position. The handle of the tool will be pushed toward the rear of the car thereby pushing with the tip of the tool the internal piston bar out towards the front of the car until it locks into place.

hope this helps the next guy, as I was that guy for two hours tonight flummoxed and perplexed!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
So I put everything together again last night and finalized those rear fins per my post above. Plugged in my battery tender all last night so it is fully and completely charged. I fired the car up today to find that the “soft top cannot operate” warning is still on. I deduced that it is my latch in the rear of the bonnet, per searches here that is a common issue. Everything looks properly closed and connected so I tried to follow the steps in the owners manual again. Shown here is step number two. I cannot unlock the rear latch lock using the manual’s description as it turns only ever so slightly like 1 to 3 degrees only, but won’t go the 90 degrees either CW or CCW.

can someone confirm if they have done this step before if it actually turns 90° somewhat easily?

net result is that the top is secure and everything is closed but the top is no longer operable and the warning light stays on. Very frustrated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Just finishing up adding to this thread for future peoples’ sake. Do not leave the bonnet up for any length of time unless you have something to prop the bonnet up in full height position. The orange shock bolsters do not support adequately. Mine I left up for several days in the garage and it got cold in there and the top came down by about halfway. I was then forced to do the manual hydraulic release and close the entire top system, however the car would not recognize the bonnet after i put it down. In my case it was not recognizing the latch in the very rear. The Allen head screw in the rear grill would not turn to release. Buzzing the warning sensor the whole time, I had to take it to the Lamborghini dealer for them to put on the LaRA system to reset it. I expected one hour job at $150 an hour. Because the latch was not adequately secured the LaRA system did not recognize it. It was jammed somehow. They had to put it on a lift and fish up through the engine bay using a borescope and special tool to disconnect the stuck latch. Net result is one hour work to reset the sensors turned in to six. This little mistake cost me $900.

The mechanic confirmed posts that I’ve seen on this forum namely to always operate the top with the engine on to produce the proper hydraulic pressure. He also confirmed to use a prop to hold up the bonnet for extended periods and not rely on the orange piston supports. Finally, he designed his own tool for this exact purpose as he has seen this many times before!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts