Upgrading the HID headlight - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 AM

Gallery: 0
Default Upgrading the HID headlight

Has anyone upgraded their HID headlight? The stock setup is not bright enough for highway speeds.

A fellow Gallardo owner upgraded his stock HID light to 55w 6000k bulb and ballast. In comparing his to my stock setup (35w, 5000k I believe), The after market HID is whiter with a little more bluish tint, takes a little longer to warm up.

A reputable audio shop is going to upgrade mine with the same setup. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has done this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 08:50 AM

What's the cost of the upgrade?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 AM

The quoted me about $500 including new bulbs, ballast and 2 hrs of labor (have to remove the wheel liner). The cost of the parts were $300. I know the cost of parts can be as low as $100-150 online. The shops looks legit and carries high end brands only.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:50 AM

That seems like a VERY good deal for all the work... Quality parts themselves are worth $300. The cheap online sets can be a problem, so buy from a reputable source. 6000K willgive you blue light, if that is what you really want...

Now some words of caution fi you are departing from an OEM HID setup:

You may get flashed a lot if you go up to 55W from the stock 35W, as many of these non-OEM setups are glaring to other drivers. But maybe that is only in reflective headlights?
Can't remember, but isn't 55 or 60W high beam strength?

Also if you overdrive 35W bulbs with a 55w ballast, you may burn them out faster. Not sure, but you may want 55W bulbs with the setup, which are rarer bulbs to find.

Also, many aftermarket systems tend to burn out in 2-4 years, so not a great deal. Make sure you get a lifetime warranty with your on the ballasts.

Maybe others with more HID conversion experience can chime in.

2015 Stingray Z51 coupe - now waiting on GM to man-up and deliver
2014 Stingray Z51 coupe - Gm can't deliver
2006 Corvette Z51 coupe
2012 LP 560-4 e-gear coupe
2004 LP-140 (= Gallardo) (sold)
Hummer H2 ( to rescue Lambos )

Last edited by carbuff; 12-25-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Gallery: 11

Not sure I understand why the wheel well liner needs to come out? I've had the headlights out before, just remove the front trim pieces. But it seems like a good price regardless.

Now working on The Roads Project. Will be running amazing driving roads with reviews in flat out full HD glory. Launch late 2013.

gt-lux.com site/email no longer running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbchess View Post
When I watch Game of Thrones, I keep expecting to see Gvan rip through the back of a scene in his Lambo. All your pics and vids have peasants from Winterfell waving at you and ****. I never even see other cars. You drive in a mythical land.

Me, I got Houston.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
That seems like a VERY good deal for all the work... Quality parts themselves are worth $300. The cheap online sets can be a problem, so buy from a reputable source. 6000K willgive you blue light, if that is what you really want...

Now some words of caution fi you are departing from an OEM HID setup:

You may get flashed a lot if you go up to 55W from the stock 35W, as many of these non-OEM setups are glaring to other drivers. But maybe that is only in reflective headlights?
Can't remember, but isn't 55 or 60W high beam strength?

Also if you overdrive 35W bulbs with a 55w ballast, you may burn them out faster. Not sure, but you may want 55W bulbs with the setup, which are rarer bulbs to find.

Also, many aftermarket systems tend to burn out in 2-4 years, so not a great deal. Make sure you get a lifetime warranty with your on the ballasts.

Maybe others with more HID conversion experience can chime in.
Thanks for the words of caution. The 55w setup is about 20% brighter in real world comparison. Hope that won't cause eye strain for incoming traffic.

The bulb and ballast are all getting replaced as a set. 55w all around. Not sure about the warranty but I hope it's at least 2 years.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
Not sure I understand why the wheel well liner needs to come out? I've had the headlights out before, just remove the front trim pieces. But it seems like a good price regardless.
The head light bulbs are behind the head lights. Removing the front trim doesn't alowl access. I have tried that. This shop did it for another gallardo so I am sure they know how to do it.

As a side note, my OEM HID turns off when I hit a pothole. This is another reason why I am looking for the upgrade. The brighter lighting is an added bonus!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:40 PM

"Hope that won't cause eye strain for incoming traffic."

Hope they are legal. A Gallardo with illegal headlight will draw extra attention.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Carbuff is right, beware of those cheap brand on the ebay.. they flash alot and gone less than few months..

Here's a good kit for example .. Xetronic Digital HID Xenon
Xetronic Digital HID Xenon Kits for Headlights & Fog Lights - H1, H3, H4, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, 9004
Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 AM

Gallery: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
The head light bulbs are behind the head lights. Removing the front trim doesn't alowl access. I have tried that. This shop did it for another gallardo so I am sure they know how to do it.

As a side note, my OEM HID turns off when I hit a pothole. This is another reason why I am looking for the upgrade. The brighter lighting is an added bonus!
Ah. Just seemed easier to me to remove the housing with the bulb in it. You have to remove the front trunk and stuff to get to the ballasts anyway so you'd be halfway there. Although I guess going through the wheel well this saves you from any potential housing alignment issue.

Now working on The Roads Project. Will be running amazing driving roads with reviews in flat out full HD glory. Launch late 2013.

gt-lux.com site/email no longer running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbchess View Post
When I watch Game of Thrones, I keep expecting to see Gvan rip through the back of a scene in his Lambo. All your pics and vids have peasants from Winterfell waving at you and ****. I never even see other cars. You drive in a mythical land.

Me, I got Houston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.