Tires? Bridgestone S-04 or Michelin Super Sport - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 AM

Gallery: 0
Default Tires? Bridgestone S-04 or Michelin Super Sport

I've got a 05 Gallardo manual. I've serached this forum and a couple others. My questions here would be whats your immeadiate opinions on which tire is best for everyday driving (non track) for the Gallardo? Anyone have any experience with the new Bridgestone S-04 or even the Michelin Super Sports?

From what I've gathered there is some very good opinions and bad opinions of the Pzero either Corsa or Rosso. Usually the bad opinions come from people who have tried various other tires other than the PZero. My car is a recent purchase and I kind of want to try a different tire other than the Pzero Corsa that were on the car since I bought it used.

My mounting guy who deals alot with exotics has gotton nothing but great feedback with the Michelin Super Sports on various exotics as well as modded high hp muscle and exotics. He hasn't done any S-04 yet.

Any feedback opinions greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Supporting Vendor

I agree that opinions on the Pirelli's seem to vary, I personally have always liked the tires and run P-Zero Nero Max Perf. Summer tires on my Audi which handle great and do well on wet roads also.

I have a customer that put the Michelin SuperSports on his Porsche GT3RS and thought they were the best street tire he ever bought. They are said to have less total grip than the PS2 but they seem to be more flexible which is important for a street car.

Unfortunately I haven't seen, driven or heard a thing about the S-04's either and have no opinion on that tire. I did always like the S-02 and S-03 tires, so i have high hopes for the S-04.
Sterling, VA 20164
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 PM

I would be curious on the S04.

As far as Michelins, I had Pilot Sport 2 which I thought has too soft of a ride. The sidewalls are too wobbly. I like Rosso's better because I can really feel the road. I heard the Pilot Super Sport is similar to Pilot Sport 2. For that reason, I will not buy it. Prices are pretty good though.

The only problem I have with my Rosso is tramlining when roads are wet. I wonder if other tires are better in this respect.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Hi, i am using Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 on my 2007 SL.

IMO, it handles very well on track (not as sticky as Corsa). but on street its pretty much the same. RE 11 handles exceptionally well on wet too.

Not sure about Micheline supersport, also wonder how it compare w re11 too.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM

The michelin pilot super sports are supposted to be the best tire out , period.

"Michelin's in-house testing, performed at the Michelin Technology Center, helped identify six key areas in which the Michelin Pilot Super Sport outperforms its predecessor, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:

•Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
•Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.
•Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
•Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
•Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
•Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz1PP3Ylgn4 "

Read this thread, the first post is from Luke from Tire rack. : Michelins new Pilor Super Sport

From Luke at tire rack: "the differences are many .. .everything from the rubber compound, internal belt package and even the manufacturing processes used ... better performance and better wear what's not to like" "tread wear UTQG numbers are no longer and accurate indicator for amount of traction and haven't been for quite some time. If that was the case the Pirelli P Zero Asymmetrico with the 140 would have more grip than the Ecsta XS with a 180 and it is no even close in terms of shear traction. "

The Pilot Super Sport is Michelin's Max Performance Summer tire initially introduced as Original Equipment on several of the world's most sophisticated performance vehicles, including the exclusive limited edition Ferrari 599 GTO, Ferrari's fastest road car ever. Developed for drivers who care about how tire technology enhances their vehicle's performance and safety, Pilot Super Sport tires expand the Max Performance Summer tire performance envelope by delivering durability, handling and traction while increasing tread life.

Building on the development of racing tires designed to carry Prototype and GT class cars to endurance race victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring and Road Atlanta's Petit Lemans, Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to deliver consistent performance and longevity by blending Max Performance driving characteristics with extended tread wear.

While the importance of tire treadwear in endurance racing may not be immediately apparent, Michelin tires set records during the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2010. One of the 2010 LMP Class leaders completed 46 consecutive laps on one set of tires with an average pace just 1% off of the pole position qualifying time. That’s almost 400 racing miles on one set of tires at an average speed of 150 mph.

Additionally the overall winner used just 11 sets of tires to cover a record 3,362 miles, averaging nearly 140 mph and almost 300 racing miles per set of tires. That represented almost a 25% wear improvement compared to just one year earlier where the overall winner needed 14 sets of tires to cover 3,235 miles. By developing longer wearing racing tires without sacrificing performance, Michelin tires allowed the teams to run record race paces while converting some of the time previously spent changing tires in the pits into productive time covering more miles on the track.

While Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to allow sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and supercars to achieve their full potential in dry and wet conditions, like all summer tires they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Pilot Super Sport features multiple innovative rubber compounds molded side-by-side into an asymmetric tread design. The low-void outboard shoulder features a track-type compound to withstand the stresses of high performance cornering while the notched center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a compound designed for superior performance at very high speeds and in wet conditions.

The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) winds the Twaron cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto fishing reels to allow Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength. The Pilot Super Sport features a polyester carcass to promote a comfortable ride and responsive handling.

Pilot Super Sport tires are comparatively light, with weight savings of up to 10% compared to other tires of similar dimensions. This reduces unsprung weight to improve handling.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...er-sport-tires
Michelin ranks them a 10 out of 10 compared to their other tires in 4 out of 5 categories: wear life, fuel efficiency, handling and braking.

So let me tell you the previous gen ps2's can handle the power of my 800 horsepower viper and are pretty much the only road tire recommended by the viper guys. Seeing that these tires pretty much beat them in every category I wouldnt consider any other tire for a high performance car.

Yellow Gallardo E-Gear
Yellow Murcielago 6 speed
Blue Diablo Roadster VT

www.firstclasslimos.net cleveland limo service

Last edited by pteam; 07-14-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam View Post
The michelin pilot super sports are supposted to be the best tire out , period.

"Michelin's in-house testing, performed at the Michelin Technology Center, helped identify six key areas in which the Michelin Pilot Super Sport outperforms its predecessor, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:

•Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
•Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.
•Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
•Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
•Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
•Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz1PP3Ylgn4 "

Read this thread, the first post is from Luke from Tire rack. : Michelins new Pilor Super Sport

From Luke at tire rack: "the differences are many .. .everything from the rubber compound, internal belt package and even the manufacturing processes used ... better performance and better wear what's not to like" "tread wear UTQG numbers are no longer and accurate indicator for amount of traction and haven't been for quite some time. If that was the case the Pirelli P Zero Asymmetrico with the 140 would have more grip than the Ecsta XS with a 180 and it is no even close in terms of shear traction. "

The Pilot Super Sport is Michelin's Max Performance Summer tire initially introduced as Original Equipment on several of the world's most sophisticated performance vehicles, including the exclusive limited edition Ferrari 599 GTO, Ferrari's fastest road car ever. Developed for drivers who care about how tire technology enhances their vehicle's performance and safety, Pilot Super Sport tires expand the Max Performance Summer tire performance envelope by delivering durability, handling and traction while increasing tread life.

Building on the development of racing tires designed to carry Prototype and GT class cars to endurance race victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 Hours of Sebring and Road Atlanta's Petit Lemans, Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to deliver consistent performance and longevity by blending Max Performance driving characteristics with extended tread wear.

While the importance of tire treadwear in endurance racing may not be immediately apparent, Michelin tires set records during the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2010. One of the 2010 LMP Class leaders completed 46 consecutive laps on one set of tires with an average pace just 1% off of the pole position qualifying time. That’s almost 400 racing miles on one set of tires at an average speed of 150 mph.

Additionally the overall winner used just 11 sets of tires to cover a record 3,362 miles, averaging nearly 140 mph and almost 300 racing miles per set of tires. That represented almost a 25% wear improvement compared to just one year earlier where the overall winner needed 14 sets of tires to cover 3,235 miles. By developing longer wearing racing tires without sacrificing performance, Michelin tires allowed the teams to run record race paces while converting some of the time previously spent changing tires in the pits into productive time covering more miles on the track.

While Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to allow sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and supercars to achieve their full potential in dry and wet conditions, like all summer tires they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Pilot Super Sport features multiple innovative rubber compounds molded side-by-side into an asymmetric tread design. The low-void outboard shoulder features a track-type compound to withstand the stresses of high performance cornering while the notched center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a compound designed for superior performance at very high speeds and in wet conditions.

The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) winds the Twaron cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto fishing reels to allow Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength. The Pilot Super Sport features a polyester carcass to promote a comfortable ride and responsive handling.

Pilot Super Sport tires are comparatively light, with weight savings of up to 10% compared to other tires of similar dimensions. This reduces unsprung weight to improve handling.

Pilot Sport PS3 availability will be focused on sizes used as Original Equipment in the U.S.

We will gradually see availability of the Pilot Sport PS2 size offerings diminish after the Pilot Super Sport line arrives.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...er-sport-tires
Michelin ranks them a 10 out of 10 compared to their other tires in 4 out of 5 categories: wear life, fuel efficiency, handling and braking.

So let me tell you the previous gen ps2's can handle the power of my 800 horsepower viper and are pretty much the only road tire recommended by the viper guys. Seeing that these tires pretty much beat them in every category I wouldnt consider any other tire for a high performance car.

I see you are quite good at cut and pasting

Have you tried other tires on your Viper?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM

I had the pilot sport runflats on before it was supercharged.

However most of the viper guys did the research before me. Theres hundreds of guys over there on the viper forum that have tested all the tires in big horsepower form 700+ and most of them agree the PS2's were the best tires for road use, and its pretty clear the super sports are better in every way. BTW, they don't make the super sports in any of the OEM viper sizes yet. When they do I'll be buying a set asap.

Now the gallardo does not suffer from lack of traction like a 800hp viper does because of all wheel drive and 300 less horsepower but having great traction is a plus and the price is reasonable on the pilot super sports at tire rack.

Yellow Gallardo E-Gear
Yellow Murcielago 6 speed
Blue Diablo Roadster VT

www.firstclasslimos.net cleveland limo service

Last edited by pteam; 07-14-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM

I've heard nothing but great reviews about the Michelin Super Sports. They will definitely be my next street tire.

2008 Superleggera Grigio Telesto #272
2010 Nissan GT-R Premium Black
www.flatoutmotorsports.us
Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 AM

I'm using the Pilot Super Sports on my SL....love the dry and wet performance on the street (haven't track the car yet). I also understand that the wear rate on them is pretty good too.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 AM

Does anyone have more feedback or reviews on the Pilot Super Sports?

I need some new sticky kicks on my SL. My Corsas are spent. I might give the PSS a shot this go around.

I got a quote on 4 new PSS for $1760 installed. Does that sound about right?

235/35-19
295/30-10

Has anyone gone up to 305's on the rear? Any problems with the larger size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.