Starting Motor. - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Starting Motor.

Problem with the starting motor insofar as the speed at which it turns the engine varies .

This morning after start up and 10 miles driving, switched off.

Left the car whilst I called in to garage.

Came out , tried to start and was met with a clunk.

The starter motor refused to spin at all. Gave all, the symptoms of a flat battery . Tried again and it then spun at a varying speed again until the engine fired up.

First step will be to remove the starting motor for inspection.

Anyone done this ? Is it easily accessible or a nightmare job?( the nearest Lamborghini dealer is over 200 miles away ).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Why starter? Why not check battery first?

Latest garage entries;
2015 Stingray Z51 coupe - waiting on GM to man-up and deliver
2006 Corvette Z51 yellow coupe (FOR SALE!)
2012 LP 560-4 orange e-gear coupe (FOR SALE!)
2004 LP-140 (= Gallardo) (sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

I've yet to see a bad starter motor ina Gallardo, not that it won't ever happen...

Replacing the starter is rather easy, any competitent DIY'r can handle the task.

I would certainly check the battery first, also a couple cars have been noted to have fried the positive battery cable which reduces the amperage output to the starter.
Sterling, VA 20164
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM

The battery is fully charged. I keep it on a maintainer when the car is not in use.

I take the point about the positive cable . I'll check it out as far as is possible but the battery area is not exactly spacious.

What I can't understand is why the starting motor spins at varying speeds during the start-up procedure.

Also when the engine does fire the starter sounds as if the bendix gear does not disengage from the ring gear as quickly as it should.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Just because the battery reads fully charged volts, does not mean it has full amps.

Second, if the starter gear is not disengaging, it could be a starter, flygear, or a bad battery. What happened when you swapped batteries from another car, or just jumped the battery off a known good one?

Latest garage entries;
2015 Stingray Z51 coupe - waiting on GM to man-up and deliver
2006 Corvette Z51 yellow coupe (FOR SALE!)
2012 LP 560-4 orange e-gear coupe (FOR SALE!)
2004 LP-140 (= Gallardo) (sold)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Supporting Vendor

That charactaristic is usually a condition fo weak amperage, as the engine hits compression cycles and exhaust cycles the load changes. Sometimes the ignition lights off the mixture and spins the engine a little easier, sometiems the cylinder loads up and only creates compression.

The last car I came across with a positive cable issue, showed now easy signs of deterioration. It was neccessary to perform amperage draw and drop tests to confirm it's degradation.
Sterling, VA 20164
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@ECS View Post

The last car I came across with a positive cable issue, showed now easy signs of deterioration. It was neccessary to perform amperage draw and drop tests to confirm it's degradation.

Josh, my car does this as well on occasion. It got better when I cleaned the battery posts. Other than obvious visual cues of deterioration, how can one determine if the positive cable is suspect?

Thanks man!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Looking for corrosion and burned cable jacketing are the only things you can do, aside from the amperage draw and drop tests.

A friend came across a car where the cable tested OK and visual signs were minimal. Ultimately he had done all there was to do and went back to step one, took a chance on replacing the cable and was successful.
Sterling, VA 20164
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 AM

Gallery: 11

I say battery as well. Poor amperage in any case, weak battery or bad contacts.

Now working on The Roads Project. Will be running amazing driving roads with reviews in flat out full HD glory. Launch late 2013.

gt-lux.com site/email no longer running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbchess View Post
When I watch Game of Thrones, I keep expecting to see Gvan rip through the back of a scene in his Lambo. All your pics and vids have peasants from Winterfell waving at you and ****. I never even see other cars. You drive in a mythical land.

Me, I got Houston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.