seals/gaskets - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Gallery: 0
Default seals/gaskets

Now that it is winter, I'm having all needed services completed. My G just hit 35k miles. Mechanic said it would be a good idea to replace seals/gaskets for the top of the block while going through and servicing the G. As far as I know, they are original gaskets/seals. Wondering if this is over zealous? I already ordered all the parts, but just want others opinions. Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Supporting Vendor

If you're not experiencing oil leaks of any sort, personally I don't see the value in resealing the top end. If small leaks are sprouting up and the car is in for service and you don't mind with spending the extra, why not nip them in the bud.
www.IAPRacing.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM

dont bother if it's not leaking as Josh said
Old 12-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Mehanic said he saw a slight leak from a front seal, nothing serious. However, said if we are going to get to that seal, it would be best to change all the gaskets/seals that are removed in order to get to that particular seal. Sound right?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would absolutely agree with that. It's perfectly logical.
www.IAPRacing.com
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Gallery: 11

The "front seal" usually refers to the front crank seal, which is an easy swap, no need to remove the whole top end. Seems really overzealous to me.

With how bad most service departments are I'd worry about them putting it back together properly...

Now working on The Roads Project. Will be running amazing driving roads with reviews in flat out full HD glory. Launch late 2013.

gt-lux.com site/email no longer running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbchess View Post
When I watch Game of Thrones, I keep expecting to see Gvan rip through the back of a scene in his Lambo. All your pics and vids have peasants from Winterfell waving at you and ****. I never even see other cars. You drive in a mythical land.

Me, I got Houston.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM

I agree with everyone so far. Dont bother if its not too bad.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
The "front seal" usually refers to the front crank seal, which is an easy swap, no need to remove the whole top end. Seems really overzealous to me.

With how bad most service departments are I'd worry about them putting it back together properly...

My 04 has a very small front crank leak (I hate leaks). What kind of job is it replacing the front seal? Any special tools required?
My dealer tried to tell me it's an "Engine Out" service.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM

Hey Guys,

Sunburn, the front crank seal leak is a VERY COMMON issue. It does not require an engine out process. It usually take 1-3 hours depending on how experienced the mechanic is. The seal is very sensitive and be damaged easily. I went through 3 seals and now its leaking again. SUCH A PAIN! Lamborghini have a special tool but you can do it with out it.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
MRajeh
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM

Gallery: 11

It's not a "big" job but the space is a bit cramped and the new seal can be tricky to put in straight without damaging it.

All you have to do is remove the alternator pulley and the front crank damper behind it to access the seal. Drain the oil, then pry the old seal out, which can be difficult. I would recommend very carefully drilling a hole into the seal with a 1.5mm drill bit, then screwing in a wood screw and pulling it out.

Take your time and thoroughly clean the area with cotton swabs and qtips, then clean the metal with some acetone, and dry again. After this insert the new seal sliding the inner diameter over the crank first and then SLOWLY and gradually pressing it in evenly or at least tapping it in a circular motion making sure to compensate if it starts going sideways. Any pushing it in at an angle will warp it and potentially cause problems. Afterwards I applied some sealant to help hold it in, but only on the outside diameter. I had wrapped the inside diameter with soem glossy magazine pages to protect it from any blobs.

So, easy, but you have to take your time and do it carefully. In mrajeh's case the dealer had "fixed" a leaky seal not by changing it put by covering it with epoxy. Not sealant, but epoxy! Which became rock hard and pretty much impossible to remove completely with the tight working space.

Now working on The Roads Project. Will be running amazing driving roads with reviews in flat out full HD glory. Launch late 2013.

gt-lux.com site/email no longer running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbchess View Post
When I watch Game of Thrones, I keep expecting to see Gvan rip through the back of a scene in his Lambo. All your pics and vids have peasants from Winterfell waving at you and ****. I never even see other cars. You drive in a mythical land.

Me, I got Houston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.