best motor oil?... - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Gallery: 6
Default best motor oil?...

ok so im starting a new thread well probably not new im sure it has been discussed a thousand times already...

who here has done an analysis on motor oils run in the gallardo? and what were the results?

i have run castrol gtx 10/40 and i was not to happy with the look feel or smell(i know this is very subjective)

and almost immediately after the switch from mobil1 to the castrol motor oil my front main seal started to leak... coincidence?? just switched back to mobil1 15/50 and no leak seems a bit weird however after doing some research oil manufactures do a lot of messing with there additives including ones that make seals swell hmmm makes me wonder

anywho i found this data sheet on the amount of zinc and phosphorous in mobil1 they both are great wear additives

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/mot...duct_guide.pdf
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Gallery: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorinc View Post
ok so im starting a new thread well probably not new im sure it has been discussed a thousand times already...

who here has done an analysis on motor oils run in the gallardo? and what were the results?

i have run castrol gtx 10/40 and i was not to happy with the look feel or smell(i know this is very subjective)

and almost immediately after the switch from mobil1 to the castrol motor oil my front main seal started to leak... coincidence?? just switched back to mobil1 15/50 and no leak seems a bit weird however after doing some research oil manufactures do a lot of messing with there additives including ones that make seals swell hmmm makes me wonder

anywho i found this data sheet on the amount of zinc and phosphorous in mobil1 they both are great wear additives

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/mot...duct_guide.pdf
Let's keep this Oil thread short - Mobil 1 is the best oil on the market period for the Lamborghini/Porsche etc. I have compared 4 blackstone oil analysis tests which showed this with the exception of LUCAS Full synthetic oil being very good as well and the grade being the difference. Use what the pros use - Underground Racing TTs use Mobil 1 as an example.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Gallery: 11

I also have a leaking front seal. I'm not using Castrol GTX but rather EDGE/TWS.

I don't know if it's responsible for the oil seal issue, first time I ever hear about an oil that stops leaks. I have a problem using M1 when I know the EDGE does better in wear tests.

Would be interesting to get a top 5 of oils and compare all of them. Say RedLine, AMSOIL, LUCAS, M1, Castrol
Old 01-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
I also have a leaking front seal. I'm not using Castrol GTX but rather EDGE/TWS.

I don't know if it's responsible for the oil seal issue, first time I ever hear about an oil that stops leaks. I have a problem using M1 when I know the EDGE does better in wear tests.

Would be interesting to get a top 5 of oils and compare all of them. Say RedLine, AMSOIL, LUCAS, M1, Castrol
I tested Lucas, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.

Ranking:
1-Lucas 20w50 with Lucas oil Stabilizer
2-Mobil 1 15w50
3-Royal Purple 51 Racing 20w50 (very bad wear metals)

Last edited by MurciM5; 01-08-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurciM5 View Post

Ranking:
2-Mobil 1 15w50
3-RP 51 Racing 20w50
But how do you rate them? Oils do different things and no one oil is the best at all of them.

We should rate them on a few properties and then people can choose the best for their application. I'm most concerned about wear protection because I drive my car hard, for example.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Gallery: 6

e here is a link to an oil test kit

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

ill add the lucas stabilizer to my oil(m1 15x50) and run it for 1000 miles and then do the test

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurciM5 View Post

Ranking:
2-Mobil 1 15w50
3-RP 51 Racing 20w50
Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
But how do you rate them? Oils do different things and no one oil is the best at all of them.

We should rate them on a few properties and then people can choose the best for their application. I'm most concerned about wear protection because I drive my car hard, for example.
I compared overall metals like lead, iron, copper etc in the same mileage span.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorinc View Post
e here is a link to an oil test kit

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

ill add the lucas stabilizer to my oil(m1 15x50) and run it for 1000 miles and then do the test
I ran multiple tests with Blackstone and the Lucas stabilizer only works well with Lucas full syn oil making it the top in tests with the combo. It actually decreases efficiency with Mobil 1. Mobil 1 alone is very close to Lucas+stabilizer results.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

Motul and Redline are two of the top oils available to the public. Both are small enough companies and "race" based to be over looked by the EPA.

Redline uses the ZDDP additive which is a replacement for good old fashioned zinc and phosphate and is a great way to maintain maximum protection.

One step up from Redline is Motul which uses Ester as their base additive as opposed to the ZDDP. Ester is superior to Zinc in it's ability to protect and holds up to extreme temperatures much better.

The Ester is ably to do all of this with a much lower viscosity and therefore reduces losses through out the system making the engine operate more efficiently, more safely.

If you step up from the 8100 series (which meets OEM specs for many European manufacturers like Benz, BMW, Porsche, VAG etc.) and go to the 300V which is more of a proper race oil, is is a double Ester oil and also uses a small amount of ZDDP for ultimate protection.

I've spent a lot of time talking to other guys in the industry as well as the engineers at these oil companies and can spend a good amount of time discussing who what where when and why. I'll be happy to share what i know as the thread progresses.

The thing to keep in mind is that all engine oils are made from 70% petroleum and the other 30% is the additives. This gives a lot of room for variation.

If I were you Gvan I'd run the Motul 300V 15w50. It's viscosity is low enough to keep the engine feeling tight and free, but the double Ester and ZDDP type additives will give phenomenal wear protection. The other things good about the Motul is that they have a good percentage of detergents to help keep the engine clean and reduce coking, and the Ester is also chemically developed to "attach" to ferrous metals so it provides superior protection even during cold starts...which is important for Exotics which spend a lot of time sitting waiting for Saturday morning to arrive.
www.IAPRacing.com

Last edited by Josh@ECS; 01-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@ECS View Post
Motul and Redline are two of the top oils available to the public. Both are small enough companies and "race" based to be over looked by the EPA.

Redline uses the ZDDP additive which is a replacement for good old fashioned zinc and phosphate and is a great way to maintain maximum protection.

One step up from Redline is Motul which uses Ester as their base additive as opposed to the ZDDP. Ester is superior to Zinc in it's ability to protect and holds up to extreme temperatures much better.

The Ester is ably to do all of this with a much lower viscosity and therefore reduces losses through out the system making the engine operate more efficiently, more safely.

If you step up from the 8100 series (which meets OEM specs for many European manufacturers like Benz, BMW, Porsche, VAG etc.) and go to the 300V which is more of a proper race oil, is is a double Ester oil and also uses a small amount of ZDDP for ultimate protection.
Josh,

Don't race oils sacrifice some wear protection for outright performance though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.