600-2 and 600-4? - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Gallery: 0
Default 600-2 and 600-4?

Whatever the successor to the Gallardo is named, what do you think the chances are that a rear-wheel drive version will be offered right from the get go? I keep hearing the Balboni did not go over that well, but I'm wondering if the 550-2, which had minor improvements made to it, has been selling well enough to ensure a RWD version of the new car will be offered either initally, or eventually. Just askin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM

I am going to guess the RWD won't be part of initial launch. Lambo will continue to do what it does best, coming up with spyders, special editions etc to keep customers from coming back and trading in. It's smart. A big bang launch with multiple trims doesn't work so well for exotics from marketing, sales and resource perspectives.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM

DJ: Your points are well taken, but with RWD being such an easy and less expensive option manufacturing-wise -- and to have something that really competes handling-wise with the 458 -- it seems to me that offering it right from the get go would make sense. I have yet to hear of a 550-2 owner who hasn't raved about the car and its lighter and more spirited handling compared to the 4WD Gs.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM

The 550-2s have been a hot seller for Lambo, in fact, most of the buyers have opted for the 550-2 spiders and coupes over the 560s because they are almost 20-30k less for a better overall package. I had heard rumors that the next generation all spiders will be 2WD bc nobody is buying the 560-4 spiders because spec out they are almost superlegerra money (makes no sense). Plus the weight reduction from 2WD offsets the weight gain from spyder drop top.

There will be 2WD for sure, but still no word if 2WD will be available at launch (I am hearing 1 year delay). Lambo did say they are greatly simplifying their future lineup down to roughly 5 variants (way less than today's 5000)

I will make one prediction, the absolute best Lamborghini for sale in the future will be the cheapest one ... The LP600-2. It will be sub 3000 lbs dry weight and an absolute rocket ship. The only question is do they go double clutch or keep single clutch Egear. I really hope they keep single clutch for weight savings, it is by far the #1 single clutch transmission in the world (e-gear v2.0 of course, 1.0 def not)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Grig: I agree with you. The RWD may not be available at launch, but I think it will be rolled out within the year; it's just too good a car not to have in the line. In fact, is it too crazy to think that the 4WD version may become an option, and that the RWD turns out to be the standard model?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Gallery: 5

An article in Motor Authority said Lamborghini told them that the G replacement would only offer the new dual clutch transmission, no manual or eGear. Also it will be offered in both AWD & RWD. I just read it again.

Last edited by Russk; 12-01-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russk View Post
An article in Motor Authority said Lamborghini told them that the G replacement would only offer the new dual clutch transmission, no manual or eGear. Also it will be offered in both AWD & RWD. I just read it again.
This is really interesting as I read in an article about 6 months ago that Winkelman said they would never consider getting rid of the single clutch and would never do the DCT.......

I am all for the SCT.
2003 S2000 Track Car
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM

For those of us not too mechanically savvy, would one of our Lambo techs care to explain in the simplist terms what the difference is between a single and dual clutch. Is one any better than the other, and if so, why. I'm sure like all things, there will advantages to both, so the answer be probably be subjective.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Gallery: 11

The idea was that DCTs are faster, and they certainly can be especially with a preload system like the mclaren. But the singles are getting pretty damn fast now, primarily with the new generation ISR type boxes you see in the aventador. No more shift forks, all the gear selection is done internally. DCTs are also quite heavy compared to single clutches.

To me it's all the same, and none give the control of a manual.

Now working on The Roads Project. Will be running amazing driving roads with reviews in flat out full HD glory. Launch late 2013.

gt-lux.com site/email no longer running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbchess View Post
When I watch Game of Thrones, I keep expecting to see Gvan rip through the back of a scene in his Lambo. All your pics and vids have peasants from Winterfell waving at you and ****. I never even see other cars. You drive in a mythical land.

Me, I got Houston.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Supporting Vendor
Silver Site Supporter

Dual clutch are really fast but they are heavier. Lamborghini didn't go with DCT because it would have been 200 lbs heavier.

Sean
Hi Tech Exotic
www.hitechexotic.com

#1 Rated Kevlar clutch

Specializing in Kevlar clutches for
Lamborghini and Ferrari for 15 years

1-888-456-0437
Sean@HiTechExotic.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.