LP640 jerky at low speed - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Murcielago

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 AM

Gallery: 0
Default LP640 jerky at low speed

When I tested the LP640, modelyear 08 with egear I found it a bit jerky in really low speed. I guess this is the Egear? or is it the 4WD? Does it get better if you convert to 2wd or get an manual car insteed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM

My 2WD 6 speed is not jerky at all.

E-gear take a little getting used to at low speeds to make driving fluid.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM

the AWD makes the egear more jerky and bulkier. this is why Ferrari's F1 transmission is generally perceived as smoother even though both egear and F1 are from the same transmission maker with very similar designs (but have different TCU programming).

i wouldn't necessarily write off the egear or AWD setup per se. you do need to learn how to avoid jerks and what to do when it does jerk. there are lots of threads on this topic, especially in the gallardo section which I assume is still applicable to the Murcielago.

two simple tips:
1. start from a dead stop. don't roll the stop.
2. when it does jerk, i back off the gas for 1 second and then proceed with the gas pedal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM

will the change be huge if you convert an egear to 2wd?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:39 PM

This is always the case with e-gear Murcielagos when going slow and in first gear.
To prevent the jerkiness, go into second gear and the jerkiness goes away.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijvpet View Post
This is always the case with e-gear Murcielagos when going slow and in first gear.
To prevent the jerkiness, go into second gear and the jerkiness goes away.
wouldnt that wear out the clutch faster?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

The Lamborghini has never been the king of parking lots and driveways. The car does feel clumsy during tight manevers. The AWD system creates a lot of tension during tight, slow speed turning. The E-gear clutch engagement is also a bit clumsy during those maneuvers.

Some of it varies on clutch PIS adjustment and what clutch is in the car. If you loosen up the PIS, the car can move more smoothly, however clutch wear rate increases. If you let the car warm up fully and get comfortable with manipulating the throttle, the car will move much more smoothly also.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM

At least, the one I drove felt fine at low speeds.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Supporting Vendor

Low speeds sure, I believe most people are referring to backing out of the garage and navigating the driveway or negotiating a parking space. All of which are typically clumsy maneuvers.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM

The jerking or bucking /surging problem can be fixed. The LP is not born like that.

Check out the following thread:
LP surging at low RPM-low speed?

The factory finally figured out it was the E-gear ECU after 9 months and 3 clutch changes. I also found it has got nothing to do with the other software settings such as PIS.
Now the car parks perfectly and moves off normally.
The car may still have a hint of hesitation if the clutch is near overheating, but recovers after cooling back to normal. Avoid slipping the clutch excessively.

Other notes:
Keep your upper and lower arm ball joints well oiled, they tend to rust and make clunking noises near full turn.
Rear spoiler mounting brackets can come loose over time and, if not tightened back to their correct positions, will eventually be broken by the wing actuator. Spoiler movement can only be checked using diagnostic computer to open and close spoiler while staring at the mounting brackets.
My Hercules rear wheel recently developed a through crack on one spoke after 30,000km. Factory replaced wheel. Check your wheels regularly!
Otherwise, this car is a real blast to drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Murcielago

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.