New Diablo owner w/question - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 AM

Gallery: 0
Default New Diablo owner w/question

I am a former 1984 Countach 5000S owner and just purchased a 1999 Diablo VT Roadster from Cats Exotics. A pic is attached. My question wont come as a surprise. The Countach, as we all know, was extremely maintenance intensive, with "decent" reliability. Id like to ask the other VVT engine owners, particularly 1999 models, what youve experienced reliabilty wise, and what cautions you might be willing to extend to me. Any info is greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A_800 (1).jpg (107.5 KB, 72 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelydave11 View Post
I am a former 1984 Countach 5000S owner and just purchased a 1999 Diablo VT Roadster from Cats Exotics. A pic is attached. My question wont come as a surprise. The Countach, as we all know, was extremely maintenance intensive, with "decent" reliability. Id like to ask the other VVT engine owners, particularly 1999 models, what youve experienced reliabilty wise, and what cautions you might be willing to extend to me. Any info is greatly appreciated
congrats! shocks are the ones that will fail eventually.

gas sensor...don't even bother fixing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 AM

Thanks Dreamcast, Are you saying other than the shocks the car has been perfectly reliable? Do you have a 1999 too?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Administrator
Onyx Site Supporter

That car will be miles over the Countach in reliability. Try and avoid using the front lift system, of course that will make it fail too because it'll just dry out eventually. If they do start leaking bad, they'll have to be rebuilt. John Custer does it, but I'd put that off as long as possible. Enjoy the car.

My gas gauge is acting up too, but I am going to bother fixing. Pretty unnerving.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

I am sure you will enjoy the car. As with ALL my cars it has been gone through and sorted correctly.

The shock issue is OVER STATED. They fail because folks leave the shocks in the up position when parked OR don't exercise them with use at all. They are operated from the same power steering fluid and pump as the power steering unit. With this in mind, ONLY use them after the car has been running for a few minutes so as the pump can generate enough of the fluid forward into the reservoir of the shock pumps away from the power steering unit. Then when lowering..after it lowers, allow car to run for a few minutes again so as the fluid comes back out ALL the way to the power steering resivoir.

As with all mechanical items, YOU must use it to exercise it..OR YES..it will let the seals dry up and this is where you get the leaks. NEVER NEVER leave the car parked or shut off with the lift position in the UP position.

1-866-LAMBORGHINI

425-787-6200 Ext #3
roy@catsexotics.com

www.catsexotics.com
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

I'd had the same car (red, 99, roadster) for more than 10 years. I've had a number of minor issues but only one that disabled the car and that was the clutch slave. Can only support the other comments on the lifting system. I've never been afraid of using it but - drive very slowly over bumps when lifted and lower it as soon as you can.

My Ford Expedition and SO's Lexus have caused far more drama. Happy to help with anything specific.

-mick

Last edited by gday; 01-20-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM

I haven't driven mine much yet but from what I've seen and learn, the engine is very robust and won't break (unless you do silly things with it). I guess the electrical parts can fail eventually, like in any other car.

I do use regularly the lift system. I don't have a choice, I need to use it to get out of my parking space, and to get back in. Must have used it 30+ times in 3 months, works great and no leak for the moment.
2007 Porsche 997 GT3 mk1 (2010 - present)
1999 Lamborghini Diablo SV (2012 - present)
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM

Congrats buddy ! Have a 99 DR too, bought jan.2011 arrived may 2011 and since then I use the lifting system almost EVERY ride, like RP must use it. Otherwise suffer a damaged nose. Lat summer I moved away from a parking place without using it and oversaw a lowering in the street and scratched the nose a bit .. dammmnnn that hurts my heart. Happily the damage were only a few minor scratches at the underside but like said, many many rides and not a problem. Where I had and have a problem with is that I found out that the connector in the KONI steering module was not completely latched in. Quite strange, could this be already faulty in the Lambofactory ? Because I think it is the original module. Anyway, when using the diagnose procedure it showed both shocks faulty instantly, that is why I already suspected the KONI unit or a connector where both front shocks terminals were in. After clicking in, I still have an error light since then, but the complete adaptive suspension worked since then. There is no shock leakage, and the lifting system operates correctly. What I have read about the lifting system is that it should possibly underdesigned to hold the extremely pressures in the system without damaging over a longer period of time. Nevertheless, used it over and over again! mr. Custer not only solved the shock problem, he also modified the clutch rod that often seems to break if original. Don't know if he sells it but I think getting a Custer-Rod adds to the reliability of your car. Happlily I have Custers Diablo so my shocks and rod were a nice gift of him. Expect to repair the horn switch under the steer leather (Lamborghini advises steering wheel replacement 1500 Euro or something) and brakelight switch. No I mean simply replace that brake switch now before your a$$ gets kissed by a truck.

About that Fuelsensor there is written a lot already and I hope to contribute to that problem when the snow and salt disappears from the road. I CAN find out what is going on there, is the sensor really too short, is it a corrosion matter or something else ?

I think if these are the only problems to expect (ignition coils ? or is that a pre-98 problem), we are lucky fellows, aren't we. What a luxury ! I read some real horror stories already about other supercars with endless repairbills. Although an engine-out gearbox repair could be very expensive.

Yes you and me sir .. are real lucky bastards :-)))))))))))))))))

Last edited by VT5700; 01-20-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 AM

So far besides my own stupidity the car is awesome, engine is very sound, the more you drive it the better she gets.

First thing I did was get all 6 shocks rebuilt, they use much better aftermarket internals now so failure is almost eliminated. I use them often when needed almost daily. Like any other mechanical devices you don't use them they will eventually fail. Also as stated when raised go over bump or curb slowly then lower asap.

Other than that happy motoring
Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM

It sounds like I’ll have far less trouble with this than with my Countach. That car could make anyone cry. I think my mechanic had the Countach about 85% of the time, and I had it 15%, enough said. I wont expect the Diablo to be like my 1985 Aston Martin (most indestructible exotic of all time and a brand I deeply love) but I wont expect nightmares either. Buying the car from Roy Cats is a big help in that regard. While this is my first buy from him, we all know who he is and his fantastic reputation for selling truly great examples. It sounds like the suspension is the only area I’ll really need to be conscious of. Thanks for the help. Like the deranged exotic lover I am, Im already dreaming of the Aventador Roadster, and I haven’t even received the Diablo yet!… better save my pennies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.