Here's a scary one. - Page 2 - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 AM

Gallery: 0

I've always wondered about flooded cars. What makes them impossible to fix? First I would think just letting it dry out would return it to its normal stature.

What about taking it entirely apart and rebuilding it. Does water do THAT much that taking it apart is even pointless?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Onyx Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabloz View Post
I like it. I think I might bid. I love to restore and sort out cars like this. A guy couldn't pay much more then the current bid though.
If your serious, you better call first, you'd be surprised how much it might cost to restore it. Probably more than you pay for it, but that would depend on what one calls "restored"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachit64 View Post
I've always wondered about flooded cars. What makes them impossible to fix? First I would think just letting it dry out would return it to its normal stature.

What about taking it entirely apart and rebuilding it. Does water do THAT much that taking it apart is even pointless?
Cars do not do well when dipped in water and if it's salt water the damage is so destructive it is near impossible to stop the progressive damage that continues once dry. I agree now that there is lots of evidence of this Diablo having been drowned. The carpet, corroded dash, corroded wheels, etc.
At $40,000 now, that should be all the money for this one.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachit64 View Post

The two biggest problems by far with flooded cars is:
1: The bearings can fail prematurely. If it is submerged enough to get water in the engine, trans., dif. plan on a preemptive rebuild or run it to failure which ever you prefer. This is why they salvage brand them because they can be running and driving fine but drive train failure is emanate.

2: Electrical. All the connectors can corrode and make bad connections. Parts with small circuitry can be ruined permanently. Read ECU may need replaced before the car will ever run again. Good thing is if it running you know thatís still good and with a little time you can go through and clean all the connecters and put electrical grease on them and your good there.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Seeing this car makes me wonder how many Diablos are still in a good shape (ie driveable) today, out of the roughly 3000 built ??

Definitely seems like a flooded car this one
2007 Porsche 997 GT3 mk1 (2010 - present)
1999 Lamborghini Diablo SV (2012 - present)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 AM

Why else would the "flash" lights/fog lamps be replaced with those bizzaro aftermarket lights? They should just paint the bottom half of it red, like big ships' hulls under the waterline. They might actually have a bigger problem on their hands than they realize if a buyer comes away feeling deceived.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabloz View Post
I like it. I think I might bid. I love to restore and sort out cars like this. A guy couldn't pay much more then the current bid though.
This could be a fun project for a true "do-it-yourselfer".
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM

i am gonna buy it and hang it on my wall.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 PM

Wow, went for 58K. That's a bit more then I would have paid.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM

It'll be back on Ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.