Diablo Alternator Part # - Page 3 - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 12:38 AM

Gallery: 0

BTW. Linea Veloce tried to sell an original Countach/Diablo Alternator on Ebay for $600
http://www.lineaveloce.com/
Countach QV Ex-Mimran #GLA12997, Urraco P300 #20530 sold in August 2008, Jalpa #FLA12203 sold in May 2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When Frank Sinatra got his Miura S in 1970, he said: “If you wanna be someone, buy Ferrari - If you are someone, you own a Lamborghini”.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Here are the pics

Here are the photos of Original Factory Lamborghini Alternators taken from a 93 Diablo (the one on the left in the pics) and one taken off a 98 Diablo with 1800 miles on it (the one one the right in the photos) 9What appears to be dirt on the 98 Alt is actually the Factory undercoating they spray on from underneath before shipping). I have also included some shots of the Original Box one of them came in, with the Bosch Part #'s. Also I was correct above that the last two Porsche part numbers only differ in that the 93 last digits are -01 and the 98 last two digits are - 02.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 AM

As you can see from the pics, both Alts are identical in every way. And the Bosch Gold Tags are clearly visible and clearly have 928 part #'s on them.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Funny, although the countach and early diablo share the same part no they look different, seems that lamobrghini got intelligent with the help of chrysler not having produced special alternators anymore but to suite the mounts on the car to a standard alternator.
Also italian manufacturers can learn from time to time...
Countach QV Ex-Mimran #GLA12997, Urraco P300 #20530 sold in August 2008, Jalpa #FLA12203 sold in May 2006

When Frank Sinatra got his Miura S in 1970, he said: “If you wanna be someone, buy Ferrari - If you are someone, you own a Lamborghini”.

Last edited by raymond; 09-08-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Raymond,

I was going to mention that I tried to put one of these Diablo Alts on a 88 Countach to solve some crazy charging problems and it would not fit, because the mounting holes did not line up. This Countach I was working on had a Delco Alt on it ...no way for me to know if it came from the factory like that or was modded.

Regards, JRV
Old 09-08-2005, 10:20 PM

The Delco was moded, all CT had special Bosch alternators, from the picture posted before you can recognize that the one and only special thing is the upper plate which is specially done to fit into the frame which holds AC/Alternator and the end of the engine.

As I said the rest of the alternator is Bosch common, the way that every Bosch dealer can overhoul the unit.
When mine brok in the Netherlands we took a new one and the old one to pieces and installed the upper plate and pulley on the new one, which is working in my car for 3 years now.

Last edited by raymond; 09-08-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 PM

You are smart to have stayed with the Bosch, the Delco sucks and has had many problems

Beautiful looking Engine, I wish we could have more Downdrafts instead of the FI's!!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 PM

You know they installed from MY1987 on cooling ducts to the alternator, I did something similar on my car, just using the air blown by the radiator fans.
The improvement was clearly recognizable on the voltmeter, even after 6 hours of driving the alternator charged the battery, before after the engine got hot it must have been to warm around the alternator / AC compressor when stuck in traffic jam.
I will take a picture of my simple installation this evening, you know in most of the cases the simple tricks are the best
My solution is even better than the factory setup

Last edited by raymond; 09-09-2005 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Thanks for all the contributioins. Raymond, when I said I was "confused" I did not mean how an alt works, but over the crazy part numbers. Thanks for the lecture on Alt 101 .

Final answer is yes the AL170 or AL170X work on any Diablo. Yes, they also work on 928GT. 14V 115amp.

John - Go ahead with parts cross reference. Price was about $350...something like 275 + 75 core. I kept the old one (I keep all my old parts). All is good.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:27 AM

Frank,

darn good price, who did you buy from? Also did you go with the 170 X or were you able to buy a 170 for that price?

Regards, JRV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.