Lamborghini Talk banner

Real bad deal with Stebro exhaust

25K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Tan Auto Parts 
#1 ·
I decided to change the exhaust on my Countach and checked out a few. I ended up buying one from Stebro. I spoke to Dan Petschinig at Stebro and he seemed very accomodating. He asked if I would send him my original exhaust system to use as a model to produce an exact fit. He would reimburse me for the shipping costs and return the exhaust system to me. So I did this,and several weeks later, I received a new exhaust system that was not made exactly as it was pictured. I called Dan and he said no problem, He had another customer that needed that exhaust system for his car. Dan asked if I would send that system to his other customer and he would again reimburse me for the shipping costs. So I did that. I spoke with Dan about the new revised system that he would make and several weeks later, I received the second exhaust system. It was again wrong. He made it in 2 pieces instead of 1 piece and forgot to weld in the bungs for the ECU sensors. I called him and he said no problem, send it back and we will take care of it, including shipping costs. So I did that. I sent it back and several weeks later I received the exhaust system back and it was correct. It was made in 1 piece and had the bungs welded in to receive the probes for the ecu's. I installed the system and it fits very well. No complaints about the exhaust system. The problem as you might have guessed is that Dan Petschinig from Stebro promised me multiple times on the phone and through e-mail that they would send back my original exhaust system and reimburse me the shipping costs but they never did. I have been lied to bluntly, over the phone and through e-mail. I have been after them for 2 years and now they don't even reply to e-mails any more. I thought that Stebro was an upstanding company but I am wrong. I would never do business with them again and as far as I can tell, they don't want me either. If anyone decides to do business with Stebro, I would not suggest it, They did not keep their end of the bargain and I have nothing good to say about their business practices. I am in the US and Stebro is in Canada, so the law gets tricky and expensive. I have not pursued it any farther but decided to expose this injustice.:mad:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I looked at Stebro a couple of years ago and even talked to them. Then I saw what a buddy of mine went through to make his system fit and went with a Larini system instead. System fit great, but we did have to fabricate a bracket for the muffler to mount to the original mounting points.

The one exhaust tip had a small scratch in it (possibly in shipping) and the factory went out of their way to send me a new one at no charge and even paid the freight.

Oh and by the way.......those who have heard it say it "still sounds like a Countach ........Just Angrier".

#3 ·
Sorry to hear about that...

I had sort of the same experience with Stebro when I went to buy their system for my Jalpa.

They never did supply the "Connector" pipe with the exhaust. After numerous calls, e-mails, contacting the BBB of Canada, etc.. I was just about to give up.

I finally purchased the "connector" pipe from Lamborghini and sent Stebro the bill. They paid it. Bottom line, I finally got it all taken care of, but like you, it took a long, LONG time.

Needless to say, when i update the exhaust on my Countach, I'll be looking at Larini or Quicksilver.

#4 ·
Thanks for taking the time to tell your story. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It sounds like the same type of treatment I received from Scott Zankl at Excell Auto Group in Boca Raton, FL in purchasing a car. He won’t respond to my calls or emails anymore either so I know how frustrating it is to deal with companies like these.

Here’s a link to my similar story:

http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f13/excell-auto-group-13604/

#5 ·
I guess you live and learn. STEBRO SUCKS... DON'T BUY FROM THEM. What a bunch of jack asses. I feel like a jack ass myself. I would have bought more of their products had they treated me well. A very deceptive bunch... The worst kind of business men.

Erik, I read the story... sounds like another jack ass. The best thing to do is expose them enough to make it hurt.

#6 · (Edited)
Hello gentlemen, my name is Sergiy Blazhko, i have been working with Stebro for over 7 years. First of all i want to say thanks for the support of satisfied users, people like systems that we do, I'm glad to hear that, Lamborghini like Ferrari line is our biggest seller. We have sold over 2000 Exhaust systems worldwide just for these 2 brands. Also wanted to thank people that address concerns here, it's important for US to know where we can get better. Thanks to the person that made this topic, he gave me a chance to bring honest answers to the questions addressed to company ''STEBRO''.
We moved from Greely to Nepean, totally new cleaner and bigger place, took a while to do that with all the OEMs, jigs and machinery so i want personally to say sorry to the people that had time wait problems because of our production slowdown.
At the end of spring we usually get LOADED with orders, so what we did to improve our delivery time is we hired more people to build the exhaust at the high season, this helps us a lot in getting systems delivered in time.
I have started working as assembler of Alfa Romeo systems for ''STEBRO'', went to school for TiG and MiG welding, after i finished i moved up to can making and let me tell ya, for 7 years i have done absolutely everything that has to do with exhaust making. Now I'm working part time on making exhausts and Full Time on distribution. Thanks to Dan, president of the company, proud father of 4 kids, he gave me this opportunity to do it.
My goal is to provide Top Quality product for affordable price delivered in time. TanAutoParts is AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR OF STEBRO EXHAUST SYSTEMS ONLINE, you can find US on EBay, and let me tell you, I personally making sure that every client is satisfied with there purchase when you buy from EBay.

Regards, TanAutoParts

#11 ·
Latest updates

That is because you have not seen latest product produced, quality of Stebro exhaust has been taken to the next level :hello:

These pictures you guys posted - seems nice, all the Stebro product has cleaned up welds and mirror polished surface, as far as headers/manifolds - they come coated in hi tech ceramics.

Now there is Quality Customer Service available from Authorized Distributor.

Attachments

#9 ·
Best is still the ANSA (too loud for me) or Quicksilver. Eric's Tahiti has a quicksilver, it fits perfect and is well done.

Honestly it looks like a copy of the ANSA system in SS.

#10 ·
i am 100% with Raymond:

the Q.S. looks indeed very nicely made, also they offer SS headers for the countach (ANSA does not offer those)

i heard and looked at Tubi for countach...in my humble opinion they make nice exhaust but the one for the countach is not one of their best worcks

Attachments

#12 ·
As I said originally, the product wasn't too bad, It is the business practices that are very bad. I can only change my mind if Stebro steps up to the plate and reimburses me all shipping costs and send me back my original exhaust that I sent to them (in good faith) for a model to create a new system. This was our original agreement. The owner I believe is Dan Petschinig and he himself has deceived me 6 or 7 times, promising me that he will take care of it immediately. He outright lied to me over the phone and on e-mails. Personally i don't care if the welds are polished, but what I do care about is doing business with honest people who do what they say. STEBRO DOES NOT USE GOOD AND HONEST BUSINESS PRACTICES. THEY ARE A DISHONEST BUNCH.

#14 ·
STEBRO has a history of poor customer service, as i mentioned already, one guy Dan Petschinig tried to take care of everything himself, guy who has 4 kids... not dishonest, just slow really, i spoke to Dan myself, he WILL return your original exhaust.
Because of poor customer service came in play AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR OF STEBRO EXHAUST online, with quality customer service, with QUALITY CONTROL, fast shipping and TOP quality product.

Regards, TanAutoParts

#17 ·
I think you should stop arguing through this forum and simply prove the customer reliability/service by returning that exhaust and covering the costs of the client how provided his exhaust as a reference.

Talking is OK, but the facts are what counts in the end...

#18 ·
Raymond, I hope you understand, WE ARE NOT STEBRO, we are totally different company, my responsibility - is my clients, not Dan's clients, we have already proven our customer service i am just trying to help. I am the guy who can really help, but i have to stay realistic here. I heard from the customer that first exhaust customer did not like because it was in 2 pcs, so STEBRO had to pay EXTRA fees for the shipping to satisfy the customer, that was not in the agreement, that was extra.
I spoke to Dan, he confirmed on returning the exhaust, that is the best i can do.

#19 ·
The new exhaust works well and I am fairly happy with it. When I originally ordered the new exhaust system, Dan had e-mailed me a picture of it and it was 1 piece. The first system he sent was 1 piece but not exactly as it was pictured. It was actually made quite different than the picture and I did not like it as much. I also did not like the welded connectors on the tailpipes because they were unsightly and would be visible from the back of the car. I called him on it and he asked me to send it to another customer who wanted it and I shipped it myself although Dan reassured me again that he would pay for the shipping. The second system arrived in 2 pieces and he also forgot to weld in the bungs and I again called him on it. I sent it back again paying for shipping myself that he again reassured me he would reimburse me for. He fixed the exhaust system by cutting out the old 2 piece pipes and welded in a new 1 piece pipe but the old welds were not ground out and can be seen and they are unsightly. What they did was weld over the old welds but I decided it would be ok because you have to look under the car to see it. When all is said and done, the mufflers are not perfectly in a horizontal line which can be seen from the back of the car and cannot be staightened because it is a welded 1 piece system. It seems to me that the easiest thing to do when making a system like that is to line up the mufflers perfectly staight and tack weld before final welding occurs. The other dissapointment was that after all the back and forth shipping and re-fabricating, The finish became deeply scratched on the bottom from rubbing around during the 1 piece fix and not polished at all after it was fixed. This was supposed to be and I paid for a fully polished system. I have built and modified many cars and trucks over the years and know full well how to fabricate various parts of vehicles. So I was not entirely happy. Actually after describing the scenario, I have every right to be much more upset than I am.

#21 · (Edited)
I had bad and good with them.
Advertised Urraco when it was a 3L Uracco and Jalpa. Had shipped back.
BUT worked well when they accepted my old to base it on and we worked together (Dan) on creating a P250 exhaust. I wanted the Racing version....loud as possible.
Price was very reasonable.

Very happy with it.
May consider one for the Jarama if I keep it. Ansa is also a possibility.

#22 ·
After all the whining and complaining I have done, Stebro finally sent back my original exhaust. Oh, did I mention that they cut it? Why yes, in fact they did. They cut off both front flanges that connect to the pipes... did I need them? Well once again, I have been cheated by Stebro. I do appreciate the fact the Serge had them sent back but unfortunately it is not original any more. I don't suppose you could send me a check for 450.00 dollars to cover my shipping costs. Thanks... I think.

#24 ·
My shipping costs were higher because I insured all of the exhaust systems for their full value and I palletized and wrapped them making it much heavier but also would be much more secure and dent free during shipping. I sent all of the receipts to Dan and they totaled 450+ dollars. I see when you sent back my exhaust, it was insured for only
49.00. Don't forget how much shipping I actually did as described in previous posts.

#25 · (Edited)
Insurance for 1500$ cost 15$, still the amount of 450$ - is ridiculous, nothing personal. In construction or any other business there is a line called ''extra expenses'' that in a nice matter covered by customer, you have probably heard about that, its nothing new to this world.
After talking with Dan i understood that on your original exhaust rear flanges was cut because your exhaust pipe rusted out, so they where replaced to save the original pattern. Me personally - i don't say things i have no idea about, i ask questions.
Also i find out that you did not keep your word about the video you have promised to ''Stebro''. I believe you are calling that cheating.

Regards, Serge

#26 ·
I only wish I had read this thread before attempting to order manifolds for my Ferrari 355.
A long story short. After making an enquiry I was contacted by Dan P offering a special deal on stainless steel manifolds. I needed these urgently as my car was taking up the mechanics only hoist here in Hong Kong. I immediately paid in full by Paypal to RPM_Cycle as requested by Dan and requested immediate shipment on December 30th. Jan 3rd I requested tracking info. Jan 10th requested tracking info. On the 11th I received a UPS tracking number and promise of parts delivered by the 13th. Tracking number didn't work. 13th came and went. Stebro were contacted by no reply. Similar story on the 15th, 16th and 17th. Finally was told UPS delayed the shipment and tracking number worked. On Jan 19th UPS delivered an empty box saying the contents were missing. The box was flimsy and only taped together. No strapping. Now the question. Was there ever anything inside the box?

I put in a dispute with the Paypal payment. RPM_Cycle immediately started calling me a liar and a cheat because the empty box was signed for by our receptionist (she was asked to sign without any notification by the UPS courier that she was signing for an empty box). RPM were then claiming the delivery was received.

UPS has given me a letter stating the box was empty and contents 'missing'.

Dan was contacted. His only concern seemed to be the missing parts. After 5 days, dozens of emails and many attempted phone calls he has promised a refund. 3 days of promising a refund and nothing has been received. He seems to be blaming RPM however RPM is reportedly their international agent.

A report has been filed with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Under no circumstances would I recommend anybody deal with Stebro.

#27 ·
Halleluia,and Amen to that brother. I feel your pain. Also a response to the previous post, I have the receipts for all shipping costs and sent copies to Dan Petschinig at Stebro and have had no response, only a cut up original exhaust system. By the way, the shipping costs were higher because I palletized the exhaust system when it was sent and it was packaged properly. Maybe Dan should take some packaging lessons and his exhaust systems won't fall out of there barely existing packaging.

#28 ·
I can't figure out how Dan keeps his job. Is he an owner? If I had an employee like that he'd be fired immediately as I can't believe anybody would deal with the company a second time.

I'm just waiting for Serge to chime in now and tell us all the improvements that are going to be made.

As I said in an email to Dan. "You are the poster child for bad service and poor customer relations". This has without a doubt been the absolute worst experience I've ever had buying anything from anywhere. As a Canadian I'm absolutely horrified and ashamed. Words escape me.

Dan seems to think 'saying' you're getting a refund is the same as actually getting one. Much like my manifolds it seems to be all smoke, mirrors and delaying tactics.

The only positive thing I can see coming out of this is that the domain name Stebro-NO.com is for still available.

#29 ·
I have heard so much bad news about stebro, that I wouldnt even consider them PERIOD. I guess they dont have a clue about customer service!!! Word of mouth is where it is at. I looked at a TR (when I was searching for my TR ) that had a stebro on it and I was not impressed with it at all. I also was considering a purchase of a Countach with a stebro. I saw pics of it and it looked f...ed up. The mufflers were front to back instead of side to side. Looked like some sort of kit car exaust.

#31 ·
I don't want to demonize the whole operation. My business partner has stebro parts on two different Ferraris and is quite happy with the quality of the design and build. That's the reason I bought.

One set he got through an agent and that went quite smoothly. It was a set that had been on display at a trade show. A tip hadn't been properly secured and blew off and it did take 5 months to sort out. He wasn't concerned and didn't follow it up very rigorously which in itself led to delays.

After my frustrations with Stebro I ordered from Glenn at Nouvalari. What a relief and delight to deal with someone like that. He couldn't do enough to help. Ordered them Wednesday night and they were delivered here in Hong Kong on Saturday morning. :tleft:

The lack of communication, lack of sincerity and lack of urgency from Stebro are one thing. Being outright lied to is another and to be accused of being a cheat even worse. I paid in full a month ago and have received nothing since. I don't want the headers now. I purchased elsewhere this week and want the money back I paid and have been promised.

#33 ·
Correct. It was the insert. I think the screw that secures the insert was missing. These things happen.

The only reason it was mentioned in this post was because it took 5 months to sort out. As my partner said he'd send a message, get a response and nothing would happen. A month or 6 weeks later he'd ask again. The car was only used on the occasional weekend and he wasn't concerned enough with the situation to be more demanding. It didn't bother him all that much as he could still drive the car.

#37 ·
See, the situation is that screw's are located in the removable inserts and WHAT WORKS is a screw driver, i mean if you did not screw the insert back with the screw - you WILL lose it, people test how the exhaust sound with inserts and without, and, after they put them back in - sometimes the screw gets forgotten, and i mean no disrespect, i forget things on a regular, even tho i try not to :)
We are distributing Stebro exhaust, Stebro is One of the couple of companies that have the removable exhaust option available, you can have both, silenced sound and open LOUD sound, competition exhaust cost like 2-3 grand more with the same options, and they have NO screws, they have remote, next level technology...but, i'm not saying it will brake, but what if...it will cost another 1000$ to fix it, here we got removable insets, they will last you LIFETIME, BUT, if you loose them - you will have to buy new, me personally - i belive you had to buy new after you loose one, 50-100$, but it was probably assumed that that was ''a manufacture'' defect, therefore you got a new one free, and it would not take 5 month if you would just buy one.

Thanks and all the best to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.