Frozen motor - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Countach

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Gallery: 0
Default Frozen motor

I recently came across a very, very low mile US 4 valve countach. Same owner since new and not on the market. True garage queen. The paint and interior are perfect. Frame and metal extremely clean. I'm talking concourse nice. Unfortunately, due to the inactivity, the motor is frozen. I have spoken with a lambo mechanic about this. He says to pull the plugs, inject lubricant, wait a day, then gently rock the motor back and forth until it turns freely. We also assumed at a minimum it will need a complete engine out with new seals, hoses, lines, engine/tranny mounts, etc. No price has been talked about, but I am considering making him an offer. Should I even bother though because of the fact the motor is frozen? How big a deal is it? Is it a deal breaker? If it frees up easily, starts, runs well and passes a compression check, should the motor be completely rebuilt anyway or would just the new seals, gaskets, hoses, etc be enough? What kind of costs could I be looking at? With that in mind, how much should I offer, or not offer? Thanks guys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM

"Chasing Classic Car" had a car in similar condition. The procedure you mentioned sounds right. After lube, he put the car in gear and rocked it back and forth in high gear (if i recall correctly) to get the motor moving. if it runs and passes compression, i think you probably dont need to tear down the engine. Shops like Driven Exotics are great at restoring older models. You may want to inquire about rebult costs to factor into your offer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM

1985 car or newer? Injected right?
Definately need to get things working on it to see if there are electrical issues or other mechanical issues(frozen clutch), etc.
A good cosmetic example needing some mechanical work(not complete engine tear down), might be a $90k- $100K car. Easily higher than that if a pristine example needing nothing.
I'm thinking this car will need engine work and that may be $30K-$45K, so if everything else is spot on than an offer of $60K-$70K may be in order.
I can tell you if you do not buy it there will be a line behind you waiting....
Some may be able to offer more as they have the ability to accomplish some of the repairs for less money, HOWEVER, there are very few who can work on these motors AND carry the reputation of a quality job. When you go to resell it this means everything in the world of the Countach.
I see no deal breaker here, unless the owner is asking silly money. Every Countach is special and needs to be saved.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM

If you are not interested send me a PM. I am looking for something similar to this.

Sold #FLA12191 in 2002
Currently
Jalpa #FLA12242 In NH as a parts car (waiting on another Jalpa sale for an engine and trans in order to be rebuilt debating an LS1 and MR2 trans axle transplant)
Jalpa #JLA12411 Possibly the farthest North Lamborghini in the World (On its way to NH for a refresh arriving the last week on Aug 2012)
Jalpa #JLA12382 Finished and in Clovis, NM. The car is amazing!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM

^^ Here the line starts...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM

^ Yes, Rovingtravler, behind me please. No line cutting.

Thanks Slywka for sharing your excellent find. This will be fun to watch!

Last edited by key03; 03-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Boy, you weren't kidding about a line forming fast! I will keep all of you guys posted on this. Obviously, this makes me feel more confident in offering a higher bid once we start talking price. Like I mentioned, its not on the market and I don't know how strongly the owner wants to sell, if at all. I hope to talk to him in the next several days.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM

^Please confirm it is an injected QV and not a DD.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Yes, injected. I'm sure everyone would be going crazy right now if it was a DD!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM

^Yes, and I just went outside and shut my car off. I had it running just in case. AHAHAHA!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Countach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.