Ignition Switch Replacement - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Jalpa/Silhoutte

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 PM

Gallery: 0
Wink Ignition Switch Replacement

Well...the time has come to replace my ignition switch in the Jalpa...given that it has decided not to work one too many times. In the process of researching ignition switches, I learned that a Fiat 124 (68 - 77) switch can be used as a replacement with a very minor mod (jumper two contacts).

Now the silly part...I know there are two screws and one allen bolt to remove...any tricks on removing the screws without stripping them as they look pretty fragile and the paint doesn't seem to make it any easier.

P.S.
The allen bolt, which I thought would be more difficult was removed with ease...wish I could say the same for the screws.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gianni
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 AM

Gallery: 6

I have pictures of the removal if you want them. There is a catch that needs to be depressed in order to let the ignition cylinder out.

My paint flaked a little when I undid the screws. Maybe a razor to seperate the painted screws from the rest of the paint. I plan to use a little touch up paint eventually.

If you need more advice, let me know. I have had mine rebuilt twice and have had it out 4 or 5 times. (Still doesn't work)

I am really busy, so PM me if I don't respond quickly and you want advice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:59 AM

Hi Ohlgren,

I managed to get the two screws and the one allen bolt out without any damage or problems

Now for my next question...do I need to remove the column pieces or parts of the dash to get the switch removed?

Thanks,
Gianni
Old 05-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Now for my next question...do I need to remove the column pieces or parts of the dash to get the switch removed?

You are almost there. No need to remove anything else, just depress the release catch. If you look on the side of the steering column where you took the side screw out, there is a little hole about an inch or so toward you. Stick something thin enough to go in the hole that will reach an inch or two. Turn the key to unlock the steering lock, derpress the catch though the pin hole and pull. It may take take a few tries, but should just pull out. I have pictures I will try to post soon (I keep forgetting.).
Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM

Default Ignition removal pictures

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Ignition03.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Here are the photos of the ignition removal. The Yellow arrow shows where the allan head screw comes out of the cylinder. You can see the coresponding threaded hole in the ignition cylinder. The Red arrow is the hole used to depress the catch. The catch is the brass plate - That is the thing you need to press down.

The top photo is of the back of the ignition and where the wires go. MAY NOT BE CORRECT, but I took the photo so I could put it back how it was if a wire dropped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignition01.jpg (46.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Ignition02.jpg (56.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Ohlgren; 05-07-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: re-wording
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 AM

Hi Ohlgren,

I managed to turn the ignition key to the 'on' position and push a correctly sized allen key into the small hole and depress the spring-loaded mechanism. I pulled a bit and the ignition switch came out of the column about 1.5" to 2" (4 - 5 cm) but no further (see picture). Is there something else that I need to do in order to remove the switch? Could it be that the wires are tied down perhaps and preventing the switch to come out further?

Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thank You!
Gianni
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lambo Switch.JPG (35.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 AM

You should be good to go. If you got that far, I don't understand why it didn't come all the way. Is it a hard or soft catch? If it has a little flex, it might be the wires, but they had plenty of room in my car. If it is a hard stop, you might be catching on the corners of the spring loaded catch. Can you see the catch? If you can not see the leading edge of the whole catch, that would be my guess as to what is stopping you.

You can see from my pictures, there is nothing else to carch on. I had plenty of slack in my wiring.

Don't force anything, but wiggle, pull, and keep the spring catch depressed. It looks like you are almost there from your picture.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 AM

Hi Ohlgren,

The spring loaded catch has cleared the steering column and I can rotate the switch and move it around; however, it simply won't come completely out of the column. I'm pretty sure the wires must be holding it back.

Before I take off the lower dash pieces, is there anything else I should try? Perhaps, if I remove the steering wheel is there a chance I might see the ignition switch wires?

Appreciate a reply when you get a chance.

Thank You!
Gianni
Old 05-19-2008, 03:14 PM

I am very surprised you are stuck.

I do not believe getting the wheel off will help. You need a special tool to get the wheel off. The horn cover just pops off if you want to see. Before I figured out the spring catch, I took my car to the shop and they took appart my dask to get the steering column bell housing out. The bell housing bolts to the dash and the bolts are on the inside.

This may sound strange, but if you lie on your back and slide your head into the footwell (and you are a small person), you can see into the column from the back. At the very least you should be able to see you wires up in the dash. I was able to see the back of the ignition cylinder. It is very awkward, but it might help you see what is going on in there.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 AM

Gianni, a year or so ago I took the steering column out of my Jalpa, as Ohlgren said you need to lie down on your back to look in the bottom of the steering column need a torch also, I managed to get it all out with out using any special tools I vaguely remeber using a 13mm open end spanner I think you need two one to hold the head of the bolt and one to hold the nut. I think there was a access hole half way up the under side of the column you can see the joint that holds the sterring wheel on. It is very tight for space to get the two spanners in there and undo the nut at the same time. I vaguely remember that I had to use a pair of needle nose locking pliers to hold the bolt as I undid the nut. I sticks in my mind that I had similar issues as you with not being able to pull the ignition out all the way. From memory I unplugged the wiring harness, I folled it back to a large plug and undid that, and removed the whole steering column. I then worked on it on the bench, to sort it out, unfortunately I can't remember what the issue was, I will tkae some photos when I get home to try and explain what I have described here, best of luck.

Got home and have taken some photos. In the first picture you can see the bolt that needs to be undone to get the steering column to out (Orange arrow) the bolt needs to be fully removed and it is keyed into the shaft. There are also 4 bolts that hold the sterring column to the monting bracket, the approximate positioning is indicated by the red circles, the two panels need to be removed to get access to these, the right panel is reasonably easy to get out, you need to undo the trip meter reset cabe and if you pull the brake switch out you can unplug the wires, from memory that side then just pulls out it seemd to be jammed in between the dash panel and other fitting but no other screws or bolts. the left side is a little more difficult as it has the wiper arm on it, air cond and fan switches, I can't quiet remeber how I got if off I remember it being difficult though but I did eventually get there, I think it also exposes the wiring that leads into the steering column.
The second picture shows a photo when lying in the drivers foot well and taking a photo back up the steering column, you can see the ignition switch and also where the wires could possibly be getting stuck.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering column removal.jpg (103.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Steering column inside.jpg (62.1 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Jalpa_Aus; 05-21-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Jalpa/Silhoutte

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.