Crazy 50 hour detail on a Lambo Gallardo (link 330 pics) Forum Member PDISME's - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > General Lamborghini Related Discussion

General Lamborghini Related Discussion For General Lambo Topics.

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Crazy 50 hour detail on a Lambo Gallardo (link 330 pics) Forum Member PDISME's

Forum Member PDISME asked me to share this detail that I performed on his Lamborghini Gallardo. I hope you guys enjoy. I figured it would provide some good tips to how true, high quality, high level detailing is carried out. Not to mention some nice pictures of a Lamborghini.

As previously defined several months ago in La Bella Firma by Bella Macchina(La Bella Firma by Bella Macchina (100+ pics/video) - Autopia.org) ‘s, the La Bella Firma is the most exclusive, most thorough, and most comprehensive detail offered by Bella Macchina: The Art of Detailing. La Bella Firma roughly translates into Our Beautiful Signature. To be signed as Bella Macchina (Italian for beautiful car) to me represents more then the experience, talent, science, and sweat involved into perfecting of every square inch of the car, it means art.

I was very excited to apply this standard on a modern car as previous La Bella Firma services have always been applied to classic Ferraris; which in many ways is a completely different challenge. I was curious to see a new car done with the same standard. This particular Gallardo is a 2006 Spyder which sees laps sliding all four tires around several race tracks in Florida. In two years the Lamborghini has covered over 8000 miles on both the road and track.

Automobile.

Launched in 2004, the Gallardo (/ɡalˈlaɾdo/) aimed a finely tuned bulls-eye on cross country rival Ferrari. Unlike Ferrari’s surgical scalpel 360 Modena, Lamborghini set forth with a brute machete’. Where the Ferrari cuts corners with precision, the Lamborghini snorts pure Dianabol from its famous logo’s nostrils and charges forward, attacking the corners with more anger. With a larger 10 cylinder engine (5 liters vs Ferrari’s 3.6 liter V8), 90 more horsepower, and a rear biased four wheel drive system, the Gallardo focuses on pure testosterone and brags about bench press numbers. The Ferrari is a gymnast who prefers wine; The Lamborghini is power lifter who likes to chug beer.

The Gallardo was penned by Luc Donckerwolke who also penned the Lamborghini Murcielago (and won awards for both). The Spyder (which Lamborghini refers to as a separate model) was released in 2006 and featured numerous improvements over the coupe based model including more power (513 horsepower vs. 492) to better separate the herd from the improved and more powerful Ferrari F430 (483 horsepower).

This particular 2006 Spyder is painted in gorgeous Arancio Borealis, which is slightly tangerine with a pearl flake added for good measure. The interior is in Nero Porseus with orange stitching and piping. Larger Girodisc rotors have been fitted (solid vs. cross drilled) to withstand the track abuse better. Softer, more aggressive Pagid brake pads mate the stock calipers to the larger rotors. The owner went to great lengths (even driving the car around with out the rear!) to test various exhaust systems and ended up with a RSC Tuning full titanium exhaust that shave 50 pounds from the rear of the car and increased the quality of sound tremendously (the car can be heard on the video clips at the end of this write up).

Detail.

The owner warned me that the car was a “little dirty” and needed a good clean up. After a couple discussions we decided to make it perfect and selected La Bella Firma. I planned out 3 to 4 days to make this happen and all work was completed on sight within my client’s garage. (This was also the first time I have done this service fully mobile, which proved challenging in it’s own regard). The detail was broken down into the three phases: Cleaning and Detoxification; Correction; Detailing, each to be carried on as long as necessary over four days of allotted time (roughly 50 hours where set aside). In the end the goal was to use my experience and passion to transform this Lamborghini into something perfect: Art.

Day One.[/SIZE]
Cleaning,Decontamination, Detoxification.

The owner had warned me, this automobile was dirty!

Several species of insects had met their end between this bull’s nostrils.

Tar and grease where plastered in the wheel compartments and along the sides.

Soft, aggressive Pagid break pads combined with aggressive ensured plenty of brake dust. It looked like ash fallout from a volcano covering the land as the orange of the painted GG wheels was barely visible.

The door shuts did not fare much better.

The interior would also need my full attention. Grime and grease covered some of the buttons.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 PM

The carpets where soiled and the pedals where scuffed.

The dash.

Vents and grates.

Day one’s goal was to remove all dirt, contaminants, and soil from all the surfaces of the vehicle then deep clean and detoxify the surfaces to give the best possible foundation for the work to follow.

First the exterior and door shuts where pressure washed using a Karcher 1500psi pressure washer filtered with ultra pure, de-ionized water. De-ionized water is extremely pure and without minerals and toxic particulate, washing can be done outside with out fear of damaging water spotting and etching.

Using a Swiss-Vax wheel brush and Optimum Power Clean, the door shuts where agitated to loosen the soil.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM

The front trunk trim received similar treatement to agitate and clean.

As well as the underside of the hood.

The grating and vents where also cleaned, finishing up most of the detail cleaning work. After being left to dwell a short time, all areas where pressure rinsed and toweled dry using a Chemical Guy’s Long Nap drying microfiber.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM

With the details cleaned, I turned my attention to the exterior, which was foamed with Zaino Z7 and left to dwell for 3 to 5 minutes to loosen and encapsulate the remaining loose grit from the paint’s surface.

During the rinsing process I noticed that the water was laying tight and flat to the fabric soft-top, indicating protection had gone the way of the dodo bird. Meguiars' APC (10:1) and their Gold Class Carpet Brush quickly removed all soil from the top.

Two buckets with Grit-Guards and a soft mitt made quick work of the remaining dirt. The dirt was gently washed away as I did not want to induce more scratching and marring into the Lamborghini’s extremely hard clear coat.

A good picture which illustrates the cleansed paint vs the soiled area.

Here are the buckets after being let to stand for the day. The rinsing bucket has clearly trapped a majority of the grime, preventing it from being reintroduced into the wash (soapy) bucket. Washing with one bucket (without frequent rinsing) is the same as going to the beach and mixing a bucket with sandy water. (Rinse bucket on the right)

Surf City Garage’s excellent Road Grime Remover was sprayed under the car and along the sides to remove remaining stubborn tar deposits and left to dwell for approximately five minutes.

Areas where tar remained were then wiped with soap and a grout sponge, the rinsed clean under pressure.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM

A quick inspection of the paint revealed a lot of bonded containment's and a very rough feel to the touch, especially the front window and rear areas. I did not want to risk marring the paint by grinding the contaminants off with an aggressive clay so I opted to use FK1’s three stage Decontamination System.

First the car was foamed with FK1’s #1119 Soil/Coating remover and worked in for several minutes before being washed clean.

FK1 #883 Rust/Iron remover was then applied directly to the paint with the FK1 Sponge the rinsed clean. The the final step, #118 SC- pH Neutralizer was foamed on to the Lamborghini and allowed to dwell for several minutes before being power washed from the surface.

The paint was squeaky clean and a light pass with Zaino Z18 Clay (used with Chemical Guy’s Speed Shine as a surface lubricant) quickly removed any remaining containment with no effort.

Once again the Gilmore was used to foam the car with Dodo Juice ‘Born to be Mild’ gentle car soap to remove any remaining chemicals and residue. After a quick agitation with a soft, natural sheep skin mitt, the paint was flooded with water to remove the soap and pull the water from the car.

Several Cobra Guzzler waffle weave microfibers quickly picked up the remaining water by blotting dry. Wash complete, total time: 5 ½ hours.

Up until this point I hadn't touched the wheels/tires or wheel compartments as they were terribly dirty. The only way to thoroughly detail these parts was going to be to remove them one by one.

While still outside, work began on the driver’s side front tire.

The wheel was sprayed with P21s Wheel Gel and agitated with a Swiss-Vax wheel brush on both sides and left to dwell while the wheel compartment was cleaned.

The inside of the front wheel was particularly bad. Brake dust soup.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 PM

The arches were in particularly bad shape, plastered with tar and covered in dirt and brake dust.

First the compartment was sprayed with Wheel Gel and agitated with the Swiss-Vax Brush.

The wheels where then rinsed clean and sprayed with Surf City Garage’s Road Grime Remover and agitated with a tire brush before being pressure washed clean. A final wipe down with Optimum’s Power Clean and final rinsing left the arch and compartment clean. Unfortunately the weather turned and rain was fast approaching so I didn't’t have time to take pictures of the compartment fully dressed.

After rinsing off the Optimum Power Clean.

The inside of the rim’s cleaned up very well but still had some very light pitting.

With a light rain starting, the wheel was dressed with Meguiars' Hyperdressing and the brake caliper received a coat of Rejex Sealant. The the tire and wheel where quickly mounted and the Lamborghini brought into the garage. Once inside, the rear section was lifted and both rear tires where removed. Luck was in my favor as Brian Brice from Finer Finish, LLC was in the area detailing a Ferrari F599 and stopped by to lend a hand for several hours.

The passenger side rear compartment pictures before detailing.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM

The rear driver’s side was not any better.

Here are some pictures after the rear compartments have been detailed using the same process as the front. Note that while some areas look dirty it is actually lack of paint coverage on the frame rails that give this appearance. About 45 minutes where spent ensuring all dirt was removed and the Meguiars’ HyperDressing (mixed 3:1) was applied evenly.

The brake calipers where sealed with Rejex Sealant.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM

The rear wheels where sprayed with P21s Wheel Gel and agitated.

Finally the passenger side front wheel/tire and wheel compartment received the same treatment.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM

After detailing the compartment.

Brian handled the last wheel, spraying with Wheel Gel and getting to work.

The rubber on all for tires was cleaned with Emmin Fabrik Tire Cleaner. Despite being newer rubber and looking clean, a little pressure from a Meguiars’ Gold Class Tire brush had the tires bleeding brake dust and grime.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:23 PM

With all four tires mounted the Lamborghini was set back to riding level. The faces of the wheels and lips received a coat of Zaino’s All-In-One, lightly worked in, to chemically clean and prepare the surfaces for the layers of sealant and wax to follow.

With the exterior surfaces fully cleansed and detoxified I worked to address the problem I had noted earlier of the convertible top showing no protection. One coat of RaggTopp Convertible Top protectant was applied and left to dry for 30 minutes.

Which was followed by a second coat.

Attention then turned towards the interior, which desperately desired it. At this time nearly 8 hours had gone into the detail. Brian started by vacuuming all loose particulate from the carpet, dash, and surfaces.

A Meguiars’ Slide Lock Brush was used to sweep dirt and dust from tight spots, and the vacuum used to remove it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > General Lamborghini Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.